Video from leg training today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video from leg training today

Legs have been my main focus since the 2010 USA's. Had a pretty intense training session today. Workout looked like this:
    Lying leg curls superset with Leg extensions 3x20
    Squats
    135x12
    225x12
    315x8
    365x8
    405x8
    then this drop set
    http://youtu.be/PCxICPuCUBo
    Leg Press superset with 50yard lunges 4 sets
    Seated leg curls 5 sets with a triple drop at the end

After that drop set on squats we were pretty toast!

Nice work!
    2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

Lock It Up-esq!
      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

I don't understand. You never even came close to parallel on any of those reps. Wouldn't you do better by lightening the load a little and going ATG?

Comment

Originally posted by gruntjc View Post
          I don't understand. You never even came close to parallel on any of those reps. Wouldn't you do better by lightening the load a little and going ATG?
          Normally, I would agree that he'd be better off with doing that, but as you progress (I'm saying in general, I have no idea where you are) some trainees find that they get better results or more stimulation on certain parts of the muscle belly by limiting the range of motion. Looking at his avatar it doesn't look to have hurt him in the leg development area. Past injuries also could be the limiting factor and nothing of what I said could pertain. With all that being said I do work on doing more full range reps with my clients.
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I can appreciate that. At the same time, I don't want to be the guy squatting 3+ plates in the gym, having other peeps sniggering at the guy doing quarter reps.

Comment

Originally posted by gruntjc View Post
              I can appreciate that. At the same time, I don't want to be the guy squatting 3+ plates in the gym, having other peeps sniggering at the guy doing quarter reps.
              I agree with your sentiment. But if he was specifically targeting quads and not hamstrings or glutes, then going slightly above parallel is better. Some people need to do that to avoid having gigantic booties.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

I enjoy the guy in all your videos who says "yup" after every rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                  I agree with your sentiment. But if he was specifically targeting quads and not hamstrings or glutes, then going slightly above parallel is better. Some people need to do that to avoid having gigantic booties.
                  I wouldn't call that 'slightly above,' lol.

However, I completely agree that different ROMs are beneficial to different people.

My pet peeve is the guys who say "I squat 405 x 8," without explaining the asterisk. If someone tells me the squat XXX for X reps, I assume/expect they are to parallel. Especially on the interwebz.

Comment

We didn't see his other sets to see if all of them were like that one. But i do agree he needed to go a little farther down, at least hit parallel.

Comment

I agree reps are way tooooo shallow.

Sammy, while I can see what you are saying and COULD agree to a degree... I will disagree when it comes to squats.... If limiting the range to limit the use of the hips, hams, glutes is the objective then other exs would be a better option IMO....besides.... He could probably put 1200 on a leg press and do quarter reps!!!
                      Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                      Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                      Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                        I agree reps are way tooooo shallow.

Sammy, while I can see what you are saying and COULD agree to a degree... I will disagree when it comes to squats.... If limiting the range to limit the use of the hips, hams, glutes is the objective then other exs would be a better option IMO....besides.... He could probably put 1200 on a leg press and do quarter reps!!!
                        Yeah but loading and unloading 1200 would take like 30 minutes...I'M LAZY :crutch:

On a serious note, I'm pretty sure the guy knows what he's doing. After a bit of snooping it turns out this guy has competed 7 times (7 more than 99% of the board) I highly doubt he's lived in a vacuum and has never heard nor tried going to parallel. He's not doing it for a pretty good reason I bet.

Heh, I'm reminded of a thread where an oldschool poster, Nikkiboy, complained how some guy won the ISOM with a very shallow range of motion. Turns out the guy had like a knee injury or knee surgery that prevented him from doing so.

I know of a guy who doesn't even do squats. He just uses leg press and hack squat as his bread and butter exercises for quads. His reasoning is that he's not built for it and injures himself doing squats. Does that mean he's an idiot for foregoing what many tout as THE BEST EXERCISE? No, it just means he doesn't do it, and for pretty good reasons. Why would he keep doing something that doesn't work for him?

By the way, the guy's name is Dorian Yates. *DUN DUN DUUUUNNN*...what a twist!

-Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
                        Last edited by theroymccoy; 02-16-2012, 03:57 AM.
                        Max Muscle
                        5020 Katella Ave.
                        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                          Yeah but loading and unloading 1200 would take like 30 minutes...I'M LAZY :crutch:

On a serious note, I'm pretty sure the guy knows what he's doing. After a bit of snooping it turns out this guy has competed 7 times (7 more than 99% of the board) I highly doubt he's lived in a vacuum and has never heard nor tried going to parallel. He's not doing it for a pretty good reason I bet.

Heh, I'm reminded of a thread where an oldschool poster, Nikkiboy, complained how some guy won the ISOM with a very shallow range of motion. Turns out the guy had like a knee injury or knee surgery that prevented him from doing so.

I know of a guy who doesn't even do squats. He just uses leg press and hack squat as his bread and butter exercises for quads. His reasoning is that he's not built for it and injures himself doing squats. Does that mean he's an idiot for foregoing what many tout as THE BEST EXERCISE? No, it just means he doesn't do it, and for pretty good reasons. Why would he keep doing something that doesn't work for him?

By the way, the guy's name is Dorian Yates. *DUN DUN DUUUUNNN*...what a twist!

-Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

With the last paragraph , You just proved our point, why squat if that is all the farther you can or are going to go down. There would be better exercises to get your legs to grow. As Yates did.
                          But Like I said in my first post, we didnt see his whole workout. Just the drop set. All I know is he could have went ATG with the 405.

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                            With the last paragraph , You just proved our point, why squat if that is all the farther you can or are going to go down. There would be better exercises to get your legs to grow. As Yates did.
                            But Like I said in my first post, we didnt see his whole workout. Just the drop set. All I know is he could have went ATG with the 405.
                            Yup. I am not a "ya gotta squat" guy... If you ain't built for it or you have any reason why you can't...or even just don't like the ex then don't do it.

As far as not seeing his other sets...you are correct...so we can only go by what we see....or don't see.
                            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                            Nicki Minaj

Comment

I gotcha, I gotcha...

My point is he has to have a reason for squatting high. I think he did post his other squat vids and they also look high, so...

I guess we just gotta hear it from the guy himself.
                              Max Muscle
                              5020 Katella Ave.
                              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Working...
                              X