Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Carbs W/O Sleepiness?

Hey guys,
    I'd like to add carbs to my diet to bump up the calories, but most carbs make me extremely sleepy. Do any of you guys have this issue and if so, what carbs do you usually eat?

If you're asking how sleepy could I get, I've dozed off while standing up at work numerous times. It's dangerous and embarrassing when I get caught/almost fall over.
    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Nevermind
    Last edited by DOHCrazy; 02-09-2012, 10:34 AM. Reason: Too close minded, not worth explaining

Comment

Haha thanks but I dont think Im diabetic (though type2 does run in my family...hmm). Any physical I've ever had the doc is impressed by my good health. Btw I can't believe people would take that drug. Side effects sound terrible.

Comment

What kinda carbs are you eating that cause this?
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Well, what time of the day do you train? How many carbs are you eating now? Are you lacking stamina in the gym or do you just need more calories?

If you just need more calories I would rather increase fat intake from organic sources by eating more whole eggs, olive oil, pasture butter, coconut oil, palm oil, cheese, whole Raw milk etc...full fat cottage cheese grass fed AND finished beef etc...you get the idea

More carbs because of training?

If you train later in the day, then just have an apple or so an hour or two before training and then keep protein high and have some fats during the first part of the day, thus you will not get sleepy during the day...

Then backload your carbs after training as much as you can while keeping fats lower..You will have a nice night's sleep this way and improve insulin sensitivity, because you did not have carbs for the first part of the day...Your glycogen stores are filled in the evenigs after training so energy won't be low IF you manage enough carbs after training, otherwise just exend your carb eating window a bit

Having carbs in the evenings will NOT make you fat if you have little carbs during the first half of the day...It's about timing and total carb count at the end of the day...1-1.5 gram per pound is probably as high as you want to go in anycase except if you do a shit load of volume or other sport or something

If you train early in the day then just follow a traditional half-day carb cutoff to keep it simple-the improved insulin sensitivity from training will probably prevent you from going too sleepy as long as glycogen stores are not filled...

If you do the latter now and still get sleepy then you should propably look towards starchy carbs straight after traing and tapering towards higher fibre sources like fruit and then veggies later in the day- the high fibre combats insulin spikes to a degree, because of slower digestion times...

OR you can go carbless post workout and have a high intake of lean protein only during the day after training and then just backload carbs in the evenings...

Insulin sensitivity will stay high until you eat the carbs later on and you will not 'waste' away like many people believe...You will store less fat this way as well and most likely store more glycogen, because of a supercompensation effect...

You now have some options which all work well to combat sleepyness and improve insulin sensitivity- which is key for staying lean and healthy..It is up to you to find what works best

Comment

How about adding a small amount of good fats to your carb meals (not pwo) to blunt the insulin release somewhat?
            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Edit: never mind, not worth explaining.
              Last edited by DOHCrazy; 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Are you talking about blood sugar crashes? Are you eating a lot of High GI stuff?

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                -1st Heavyweight Gi
                2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Grinder: Training is usually after work twice a week. Early afternoon on Sunday. Meals during the week go like this:
                  Meal 1: 1 cup oats, ~1 cup berries, banana, 30g whey iso, 1 tsp creatine mono.
                  Meal 2: 2 cups ground beef with some salsa on top. 1 avocado
                  Meal 3: 2 cups ground beef with salsa and 1 banana.
                  Meal 4: Try to hit a pound of meat (chicken or steak) then a about 2 handfuls of fibrous veggies like onions, broccoli, green beans.
                  Workout days I add in MG's powdered muscle and an additional scoop of whey.
                  Weekend food is really up in the air. I just eat dirty and cook at home with the occasional meal out with friends and family for social reasons.

I'm not lacking gym stamina, I think MG's PM really does a great job of keeping my workouts going.

Steel: I've tried adding some fats, but the mixture with carbs I think is messing with digestion as I'm getting rancid gas. Completely makes being at work a PITA. Not a lot of carbs in the middle of the day because I'm really trying to avoid the sleepiness. Dairy fats is out of the question b/c Im lactose intolerant.

Lock: I'm not really blood sugar crashing. I know exactly what the feels like and that's usually if I haven't eating in +3 hours.

Comment

I think there may be an underlying issue here that were not seeing.

How long have you been experiencing your problem? Does it happen every carb meal? What kind of supplements do you use on a regular basis? Are you on any scripts?

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                    -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

Maybe go to bed earlier so you're not tired during the day.
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Something else is not right. You should go see a doc or something. You shouldn't be falling asleep standing up because you increased your carbs.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
                        Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post

I'm not really blood sugar crashing. I know exactly what the feels like and that's usually if I haven't eating in +3 hours.
                          You experience a blood sugar crash if you do not eat for three hours?

How do you sleep then?

When people say things like this, either they do not know how it feels when you have real blood sugar problems or something else is wrong...Feeling a lttle fuzzy and having real issues are two entirely different things...You need to figure out which one you are...Maybe something IS wrong OR maybe you really need to work on your insulin sensitivity...

You should be able to fast for much much longer...I fast 16+ hours a day and you're supposed to feel better during the fast with no 'crashes' etc.

The body releases insulin as needed to maintain blood sugar levels...no carbs=zero to very littlle insulin=more growth hormone (although fats also blunt HG release)=more fat burning=less sleepy=increasesing insulin sensitivity...that is good

I would drop the carbs in your first meal for sure- You are bombing yourself with carbs every morning...Add 6 or so organic free range eggs here instead and ride it out on no carbs for a while...

You are more insulin sensitive first thing in the morning...Take advantage of this and stretch it out for longer, thus you are PRIMING yourself for later on...

You take your MG Powdered Muscle pre- and periworkout I believe so do that if it works for you...and THEN have alot of carbs with alot of protein in the post workout window...even on non workout days you can do this...only eat your carbs late in the day and have have little to zero during the day...it works I already stated this in the previous post...

Fibrous veggies are fine during the 'no carbs periods' and that salsa with your beef should have no sugar/carbs as well and contain only the trace carbs from the veggies etc. themselves...the avo is fine though...lots of fibre and fat and some good micronutrients...

Toggle between periods of low insulin release before workouts and higher insulin release during/after workouts...Our bodies are rhythmic and so should our lifestyles be...

Try it for a month or so and see how it goes...
                          Last edited by Lock it Up; 02-10-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

First of great responses and thanks everyone for chiming in.

Lock: I've always been like this. I'm not on any prescriptions. I supp creatine, mg's powdered muscle, and some multi's.

Roy I usually sleep 6-7 hours a night. Not a ton, but I'm no insomniac either.

grinder: When I say blood sugar crash I mean I get tired, weak, and when it's bad I get cold sweats. I'll try adjusting my diet next week and see if that helps.
                            Last edited by Lock it Up; 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM. Reason: Forum Rules

Comment

Edited your post, Grinder. Read the rules.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                              -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Working...
                              X