So this is normal right?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is normal right?...

The Jay Cook thread about over/under grip vs. over/under grip + straps sparked my curiosity so I decided to try a hook grip for the very first time. I did not pull as much as I normally do because I usually use my straps but that's fine.

What I'm wondering is is it normal for my thumbs to be super raw? Is there something I'm doing wrong or is that just part of doing hook grip?
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Totally normal. I don't mess with a hook grip because aside from having only average sized hands at best that shit HURTS... during AND after.

If you have the hands for it and stick with it your thumbs will get used to it and callous.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

I have giant hands...I am wondering if I should give it a shot. Can you theoretically pull more since you are pulling more evenly?

Comment

I dunno if everyone can necessarily pull more Mike, but it sure does really remove grip from the equation almost entirely...

...it just hurts like a bitch! At least for me, my palms are large, but I have stubbs for fingers, LOL.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
        -1st SuperHeavy Gi
        2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
        -1st Heavyweight Gi
        2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
        2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
          I dunno if everyone can necessarily pull more Mike, but it sure does really remove grip from the equation almost entirely...

...it just hurts like a bitch! At least for me, my palms are large, but I have stubbs for fingers, LOL.
          With my hands and mixed grip, I am pretty sure I can already hold over 600 lbs. In my 4+ years of serious training, I have never failed a grip.

I do get scared shitless every time I pull mixed through, which is why I have been considering hook as of late. The only time I tried it was a few months back and I struggled on 405 with it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Comment

I felt like my thumbs were about to rip out of their sockets when I did it the other day.
            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
            www.316fit.com
            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
              I have giant hands...I am wondering if I should give it a shot. Can you theoretically pull more since you are pulling more evenly?
              I don't see how you are pulling more "evenly". Mixed grip doesn't change the wt or your ARM lengths. I asked in that thread for any evidence that your spine will "twist" as was claimed...I don't see how it would ass long as your arms are loaded evenly but have not gotten a response as of yet.
              If your grip is strong and you never fail cause of grip but you feel your bi might be compromised using a mixed grip I would just use a double over hand grip. I've seen men pull 8+ using it so it can be done.

Peace
              Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
              Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                I don't see how you are pulling more "evenly". Mixed grip doesn't change the wt or your ARM lengths. I asked in that thread for any evidence that your spine will "twist" as was claimed...I don't see how it would ass long as your arms are loaded evenly but have not gotten a response as of yet.
                If your grip is strong and you never fail cause of grip but you feel your bi might be compromised using a mixed grip I would just use a double over hand grip. I've seen men pull 8+ using it so it can be done.

Peace
                I have no scientific evidence, but the pull definitely feels way smoother when I am double over with straps. Feels like I can get setup better.

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                  Mixed grip doesn't change the wt or your ARM lengths.

Peace
                  Sure it does. Put both hands out in front of you. One pronated and one supinated... there's 1-2" difference.
                  Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                    Sure it does. Put both hands out in front of you. One pronated and one supinated... there's 1-2" difference.
                    Sorry but I see no difference. I even put them against a wall and turn my hand, and felt no difference in length.

Comment

Blah Ima just do it and start lighter and work my way back up again. Gotta get these forearms to grow, anyway.

I just went on a 20 minute youtube spree of bicep-tear-via-deadlifting vids...*shudder*
                      Max Muscle
                      5020 Katella Ave.
                      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                        Blah Ima just do it and start lighter and work my way back up again. Gotta get these forearms to grow, anyway.

I just went on a 20 minute youtube spree of bicep-tear-via-deadlifting vids...*shudder*
                        What is even more scary is many of the guy's arms appear to be straight when they tear it as well.

Comment

Look at this one..its straight! Maybe a VERY slight bend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2hT6JFKXTo[/youtube]

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                            Look at this one..its straight! Maybe a VERY slight bend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2hT6JFKXTo[/youtube]
                            Thanks Mike, I am glad I don't pull til next Monday. I will have time to forget I saw this

Comment

About the twisting of your spine. That's a bit exaggerated but you are turning your humerus ti either pronate or aupinate and putting your scapula in an unequal positions with a mixed grip. It's minor but when your in the 600s or pulling thousands of times it can add up.

Comment

Working...
                              X