2015 NPC Supplement Express:
    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Solid. Great job. Your an absolute beast.

Just curious how does your strength compare doing these seated. I know I'm stronger seated, but I have no idea how much. I've done standing for so long I have no clue. I recently went to seated for the last 8 weeks of my contest prep, but went to a seated machine press. Funny thing is now I have to pin weight on the machines. People don't understand how standing presses effect overall strength.

I was also wondering do you incorporate push presses during different phases of training? I've noticed that they really add a whole new level to my shoulder training, but I have to be careful about how long and how often I use them.
      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Appreciate it Doberman.

My strength is much stronger on seated vs. standing. I typically finish with seated dumbbell after all of my shoulder exercises are finished and can push the 120lb for 25 to 30 reps for a set or two. A big secret I have (don't know if it works for anyone else), but I always start with 3 sets of pull ups before my shoulder routine begins, at that point I go right into my big overhead lift for the day (db standing, bb standing, or bb behind the neck). It primes my shoulders, gives me a good "rebound" pump - if that makes sense, and makes all the little aches and pains I might have go away.

Back when I used to play college football I almost exclusively did Push Press for my overhead movement, but I haven't done them in nearly 7 years. I remember I couldn't do more than triples because the impact on the wrist was too severe for moderate to high reps.

Comment

Very impressive! Nice Work!
          2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

LOL.

120's for 25-30 for a set a two...NO BIG DEAL.

You're an animal man. That's awesome. Thanks for posting the vid, and for giving that tip about the pullups, will make a note of it for sure.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
            -1st SuperHeavy Gi
            2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
            -1st Heavyweight Gi
            2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
            2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

It's good to see there are still a few of us left that do standing overhead work, very nice job!

And here I thought I was strong at pressing...
              Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Thanks fellas...I'd definitely recommend putting these in your routines for a while. My delts have really taken a liking to these and the pumps are huge. Since it's a dumbbell standing exercise you wouldn't believe how much your posterior and medial heads get worked too (not to mention stabilizers).

Comment

Originally posted by Rickross1 View Post
                  Appreciate it Doberman.

My strength is much stronger on seated vs. standing. I typically finish with seated dumbbell after all of my shoulder exercises are finished and can push the 120lb for 25 to 30 reps for a set or two. A big secret I have (don't know if it works for anyone else), but I always start with 3 sets of pull ups before my shoulder routine begins, at that point I go right into my big overhead lift for the day (db standing, bb standing, or bb behind the neck). It primes my shoulders, gives me a good "rebound" pump - if that makes sense, and makes all the little aches and pains I might have go away.

Back when I used to play college football I almost exclusively did Push Press for my overhead movement, but I haven't done them in nearly 7 years. I remember I couldn't do more than triples because the impact on the wrist was too severe for moderate to high reps.
                  The pullups make total sense. I actually used to do vertical pressing and vertical pulling together and noticed the same thing. I'm going to have to throw in a few sets of pullups like that.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                  X