Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closed Grip Training with straps...WTF!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Grip Training with straps...WTF!?

Using a closed or alternate grip is a great way to improve your grip strength on big heavy lifts like the deadlift - there's no secret about that.

BUT, it's always a bit of an injury risk, as it buts your pelvis and lumbar at a slightly twisted angle, AND puts stress on the supinated/palm-up forearm and biceps - where it is always at a greater risk for a tear.

So if you're using straps to close your grip and improve the grip strength, WHY would you use an alternate grip?? Straps close the grip and allow the hands to stay pronated and keep back and biceps to stay safer...

using straps and an alternate grip seems nonsensical to me.

And the argument "ronnie coleman does it" doesn't take away from the apparent increased risk:sammich:

Are you talking about the ISOM? If so, then I don't see the reason for the thread.

If you mean you train like that all that time, then ya, that's bad. Agreed.

But for one all out set for prizes? Uh, ya, I'm doing whatever allows me to hold onto the bar...

...of course I am referring to myself .

But you're 100% right otherwise. Big risk, not really worth it.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

IMO it's completely irrelevant. An alternate grip with straps won't be any stronger than a regular grip with straps. I've seen it in a few videos all over the place, and a couple in the ISOM vids as well.

Risk+reward=doesn't add up.

Either deadlift like a man (powerlifter speaking) and leave your straps in your bag, OR use then but use them safely

Comment

Heh...I do this. If I could do it all over again I'd do it both pronated, but I'm too comfortable doing it over-under + straps. Kinda hard to undo 10 years of habit I suppose.

Originally posted by Jay Cook View Post
        IMO it's completely irrelevant. An alternate grip with straps won't be any stronger than a regular grip with straps. I've seen it in a few videos all over the place, and a couple in the ISOM vids as well.

Risk+reward=doesn't add up.

Either deadlift like a man (powerlifter speaking) and leave your straps in your bag, OR use then but use them safely
        Ehh...you think so? Not too sure about that...I can barely do 405 lb. shrugs because the bars rolling off my fingers with a double-pronated + straps, yet I can dead 5+ for reps with plenty of grip strength left (I do over-under + straps with those).
        Last edited by theroymccoy; 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM.
        Max Muscle
        5020 Katella Ave.
        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I know for a fact my grip is stronger that way, Jay. Since I'm not a powerlifter, I could care less about doing it like a "man" I guess?

Silly argument? Tomatoes tomatoes?

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
          -1st SuperHeavy Gi
          2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
          -1st Heavyweight Gi
          2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
          2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

sure boys, we'll call it at that. i'm not gonna get into an argument here.

Comment

I used to be hesitant to use straps in my deads for fear of not being "manly" enough, then I tweaked my back, and I think it was most likely due to what Jay says about the pelvic/lumbar region being slightly angled awkwardly.. I have since been using straps with both hands pronated and, admittedly I am not using the same weight, I think its more due to still slightly recovering from the injury issue, as I have not noticed a grip problem yet, so hopefully I can work back up to the same weight as before without doing mixed... I was just wondering for those that do use straps do you also ever use chalk? I notice that since I started using straps I haven't really felt like I need chalk... then again, this could circle back to the fact that I am still using less weight...

MT

Comment

Yeah do it like a man (powerlifter style), with your DL suit, baby powder on your legs, chalk on your hands, and a weight belt. But somehow straps are a no no.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinjiG View Post
                  Yeah do it like a man (powerlifter style), with your DL suit, baby powder on your legs, chalk on your hands, and a weight belt. But somehow straps are a no no.
                  Quite a correct statement you have made here. Why yes, in every powerlifting competition rulebook I have encountered, straps were not legal for competition use. The suit is only legal in equipped divisions as well.
                  FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                  If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinjiG View Post
                    Beat me to it.... But left out the briefs (manly?), wraps, smelling salt, etc...I always find the power lifters that make the straps ain't manly argument funny as hell.

Anyway the "safety argument seems just as funny to me cause from the first day I did deads I alternated grips...and I switch from set to set...sure on my heaviest set my rt is under/ left is over but building up to that set I switch each set.

Now what's safer?

Doing something I first started.doing almost 28 years ago (yea I've taken many long breaks)

OR

Trying to do something a completely different way than I've ever done it??

Keep in mind that I have never injured myself doing deads...never had any injury I would consider serious in the gym at all.

I wear a belt (recent addition since back surgery, work injury) and straps...that's it. So keep "lifting like a man" all you want... I'll just lift a lot of weight.
                    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                    Nicki Minaj

Comment

I use alternate grip, and never thought about using straps. 1 thing I have seen in European videos is, they use alternate grip but switch the hands after every rep.

Comment

WTF is wrong with this thread???

Jay knows more straight up sh** about deadlifting than maybe 2-3 people that frequent this site. The point is valid indeed, mixed grip= good, pronated grip +straps= good, mixed grip + straps=redundant and dangerous

Shin the next you squat 800 @198 in an official meet come tell Jay he doesnt know what hes talking about....
                        Dun ya i know youve "pullled 800" before, at the gym right? and probably weighing close to 3bills?
                        Last edited by trucelt; 02-03-2012, 04:15 AM.
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

He's 100% correct about safety. Dante's even said it as well....Especially when you are getting older and have lifted awhile....Dunhill, that means you...lol. It doesn't matter if you've lifted the same for all these years. All that means is that you may have some wear and tear that could surely be relevant to a biceps/biceps tendon injury. I have never liked an alternate grip. Even when I was young and could actually deadlift some weight, I always went overhand. I just felt it WAAAY too much in my biceps area.....
                          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                            WTF is wrong with this thread???

Jay knows more straight up sh** about deadlifting than maybe 2-3 people that frequent this site. The point is valid indeed, mixed grip= good, pronated grip +straps= good, mixed grip + straps=redundant and dangerous

Shin the next you squat 800 @198 in an official meet come tell Jay he doesnt know what hes talking about....
                            Dun ya i know youve "pullled 800" before, at the gym right? and probably weighing close to 3bills?
                            Jay is knowledgable but he came across a little condescending.
                            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

I popped out two ribs back in 2007 and the first thing the chiro said was "what'd u do, deadlift with an alternated grip?" Which is EXACTLY what I did lol, so since then no problems at all

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X