Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lean Gains

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lean Gains

    Hi

    I'm doing lean gains however the training will be more dogg crapp influenced. I'd just like to get some other opinions on the set up and whether the curls are necessary on Fridays given that I am doing chins on Monday, could be too much perhaps.

    M - Dead lift 5 sets of 3,
    chins 3 sets to failure,
    bent over rows 5 sets of 3

    W - Incline bench 3 sets to failure,
    dips 3 sets to failure
    dragon flags 3 sets to failure

    F - Squats 5 sets of 3
    Military press 3 sets to failure
    Curls 3 sets to failure

  • #2
    This is on the fly with just a little thought so if I miss somthing I'm sure my friends on here will point it our:

    Before I get going I do want to commend you on your concentration on core lifts.

    OK, here we go....I need to ask you what your goals are? If you are trying to lean up, I can think of better ways to get their. If you are trying to put on Mass and get crazy strong, there are much better ways of doing that as well, but if you are trying to get stronger, and stay lean or get leaner then I can see your reasoning. Even then I'm not sure if the Lean Gains diet is optimal. That being said I do know that some people have had decent results with it and that it can fit easier into some peoples schedules. It especially might be nice for someone that doesn't want to compete, but wants to have fairly normal feedings with friend and family.

    As far as the workout I'm going to make a few assumptions. You are trying to either gain pure strength or you are trying to gain strength and muscular development. Either way you are trying to do this while gaining minimal weight.

    Based on the workout plan this is what I might suggest. You are already doing a thickness exercise for back. I would stick with Deadlifts. I would cut out bb rows and instead add 1-2 sets to pull ups. I would maybe do 3 incrementally heavier sets of pullups keeping reps between 12-6. Then finish with a back off set of bodyweight pullups and rep out. If you really like rows you can alternate between Deads and Rows and you'll get the benefit of a longer period of gains between the two.

    As far as the Incline Bench I don't know what you mean by 3 sets to failure. I would instead stay with a 5x5 protocol or a 12-4 pyramid over the course of 4-5 sets with a 5th or 6th final set, but on this one drop the weight to the 1st or 2nd set's weight and rep out. I guess it depends more so on your goals. If it is pure strength the first option might be best, but if it is development then the 2nd option would be preferable. You also might want to alternate between bb and db each workout for the same reasons as the first exercise.

    As far as dips 3xfailure might be alright short term, but eventually you will want to add weight. You can again do a pyramid and rep out set or you could just continue to add weight on each of those 3 sets. If you do that I'd keep reps between 12-6.

    I'm not sure why the Dragon Flags were choosen. I don't have a problem with that, but if your goals are bodybuilding oriented then you might want to alternate between an upper ab exercise, perhaps on a machine. If your goals are more strength oriented then perhaps do an exercise that stresses the core as a whole.


    Squats I'd keep your rep range in the 3-5 area. Then once you hit 5 on all three you can up the weight 5-10%. You may also consider alternating between squats and front squats. Military Press-Can't go wrong here. This is a great exercise. I prefer to do this standing, but if you are calling it a true Military Press it should be standing anyhow. You don't see the military doing anything seated. Again I don't understand the 3xfailure thing again. I'd do another pyramid here with a burnout.

    Here is what it may look like with my changes:

    M - Dead lift 5 sets of 3 (alternate with bent over rows 5 sets of 5-8)
    chins 50 total reps or x12,10,8,6,failure

    W - Incline bb bench or db bench 5x5 or x12,10,8,6,4,15
    dips x10,8,6,failure
    dragon flags or machine crunches 3 sets to failure 50-100 total reps

    F - Squats 5 sets of 3-5
    Military press x12, 10, 8, 6, 15
    Curls 3x 10,8,6

    If you are doing this for pure strength, you may also want to consider doing this routine on a two on one off basis, but on the 2nd day do a speed day with muscle groups that you'll be working heavy in another session, but there are other routines that are already set in stone that have been proven and you wouldn't have to put a lot of time into creating like this. Also as mentioned if this is your goal Lean Gains would not be optimal. It's just hard to choke down that much food!
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

    Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, a fair bit to think about there. I'll take it to the drawing board. Thanks.

      FYI My goals generally speaking are the usual both strength and size. I weigh 76kg and I've got about 5-10kg to lose to get to 10-12%, so I'd like to do that without losing any strength/size. I've been reading LG for a couple of years and it seems to be a good way to recomposition (if such a thing really is possible) and then once I've achieved target bf% then a good way to make the lean gains.

      The structure of the above workout was supposed to reflect the same lifts and days as Martin's suggested routine, however I'm not a fan of reverse pyramid training, I much prefer the rest-pause method Dante advocates, hence I've thrown a similar methodology into the mix.

      Comment


      • #4
        I sounds like your trying to gain size while losing fat. I would suggest picking one goal and sticking with it. You might be surprised, sometimes if you concentrate on size you might lose a little fat or more likely if your goal is to lose fat you might gain some muscle. I would never suggest LG as far as a Mass Gaining strategy. It is simply too hard to get enough nutrients in during the feeding window you are given. By the way I thoroughly understand the diet and the authors take on it. For what you are suggesting you might want to look into a carb cycling or UP DAY DOWN DAY DIET (With 2 UP DAYS for every DOWN).

        Also Where did you have rest pauses in the routine?
        1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
        2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
        2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
        2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
        2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
        2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

        Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

        Comment


        • #5
          3x failure = rest pause. just typing the way I think because I count the three sets rather than 1 rest pause set. just semantics really.

          the main goal at the moment is leaning down, then I'll worry about putting on a bit more size in 6 months or so. My maintenance calories are 2000 give or take, so the +/-20% is not really that big a deal for me to consume. I've always struggled to lean down past 15% as my strength always leaves me at that point, which is when I stop dieting and head back to surplus calories. Provided this protocol works I'll likely stick with it to make some slow but lean gains. I have no issue with slow gains. I've put on about 10kg in 3.5 years which were the "easy" gains, so clearly I'm in no rush.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Doberman View Post

            OK, here we go....I need to ask you what your goals are? If you are trying to lean up, I can think of better ways to get their. If you are trying to put on Mass and get crazy strong, there are much better ways of doing that as well, but if you are trying to get stronger, and stay lean or get leaner then I can see your reasoning. Even then I'm not sure if the Lean Gains diet is optimal. That being said I do know that some people have had decent results with it and that it can fit easier into some peoples schedules. It especially might be nice for someone that doesn't want to compete, but wants to have fairly normal feedings with friend and family.
            Just wondering if you can elaborate a little more as to why you think this???
            As I'm currently on LG as well, to lean out, I've found it to be very accommodating to my circumstances, and I've felt very good in the gym since I started as well.
            Anyways, would appreciate the feedback.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CuBanotTe_314 View Post
              Just wondering if you can elaborate a little more as to why you think this???
              As I'm currently on LG as well, to lean out, I've found it to be very accommodating to my circumstances, and I've felt very good in the gym since I started as well.
              Anyways, would appreciate the feedback.
              I have been as well, and some days I don't eat at all if I don't train. Right now I'm trying to stay in my weight class but my body composition has been changing and within the past 2 weeks hit a 625 squat, 365 bench, and 600 deadlift, all PR's for me. I take in a majority of my cals pre/during/post workout
              For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CuBanotTe_314 View Post
                Just wondering if you can elaborate a little more as to why you think this???
                As I'm currently on LG as well, to lean out, I've found it to be very accommodating to my circumstances, and I've felt very good in the gym since I started as well.
                Anyways, would appreciate the feedback.
                x2. I'm the same as Cuba, been following it the last several months. I can see how for some it wouldn't be optimal, but it suits me.

                edit- x3 not x2. lol
                PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                Comment


                • #9
                  x4 from me for LeanGains.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
                    I have been as well, and some days I don't eat at all if I don't train. Right now I'm trying to stay in my weight class but my body composition has been changing and within the past 2 weeks hit a 625 squat, 365 bench, and 600 deadlift, all PR's for me. I take in a majority of my cals pre/during/post workout
                    Wow, those are great numbers man, you are a beast. I'm actually coming back from a 7 month break where a I lost a lot of size and strength. Ever since I started the diet, I've actually started to feel good in the gym again. It's only been a week so no major changes in my body but my wife says my chest and arms look fuller, as do my legs so that's a good thing, all while losing about a kg more or less, might be water levels though. Overall, I feel great, on my off days, I keep the carbs and cals low and on training days, I pretty much eat regularly, don't over do it, but don't feel like I am dieting neither. :yippee:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CuBanotTe_314 View Post
                      Wow, those are great numbers man, you are a beast. I'm actually coming back from a 7 month break where a I lost a lot of size and strength. Ever since I started the diet, I've actually started to feel good in the gym again. It's only been a week so no major changes in my body but my wife says my chest and arms look fuller, as do my legs so that's a good thing, all while losing about a kg more or less, might be water levels though. Overall, I feel great, on my off days, I keep the carbs and cals low and on training days, I pretty much eat regularly, don't over do it, but don't feel like I am dieting neither. :yippee:
                      Thanks, I'm peaking for a meet in 17 days, I was 210 this morning and I'll be competing at 198. For instance yesterday I drank a gallon of green tea and nothing else. Today at noon I had 1-beef and 1-chicken burrito, starting about an hour before through my workout I'll consume 100g Protein and 150-200g carbs of the High GI Variety. Come home have a high protein moderate carb meal and a shake and peanut butter before bed. If I were going all out mass gain I'd eat all day, If I was recomping my body sure, lean gains is a viable option whether 16/8, 15/9, 14/10.
                      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Are you guys training fasted like suggested or your own take on that?
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                          Are you guys training fasted like suggested or your own take on that?
                          for a while I was doing fasted upper in the morning and then lower in the evening but as the meet gets closer and because of my schedule I train at night but cardio in the am
                          For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            hmmmm last time I tried lean gains I failed miserably because I tried to do it after I dieted for a contest.

                            I wonder how well it would work for me now that I am no longer gorging myself on everything in sight...
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


                            Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fade View Post
                              hmmmm last time I tried lean gains I failed miserably because I tried to do it after I dieted for a contest.

                              I wonder how well it would work for me now that I am no longer gorging myself on everything in sight...
                              I had the same issue after I started LeanGains post-extreme diet.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X