Here's An Interesting One...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's An Interesting One...

Cardamom. Does anybody include it in their supplement arsenal? I use it pre-workout in coffee and it seems to take away from the jittery-ness (it's a strong coffee). It also seems to increase the effectiveness of other supplements in achieving 'pump'. It is to a point where I can't use it on high-rep leg days as the pump is too much. It appears to do many things upon research but I was curious if anybody else uses it for bodybuilding/powerlifting purposes.

Cheers.
    TEAM :tea: SKIP

2012 IFBB Australian Grand Prix Novice 4th Place.
    2013 Nabba Victorian Championships Novice 3rd Place.

Gawd damn you!

Now I have to go look up everything I can and compile shit and give a good opinion based on science...

...or I could simply ask...what dose did you use? Where does it come from? How's it work? Overall impressions for the masses, like I think it's good to use for (insert), but if you do it wrong/too much it does (insert).

It will help me decide to give it a whirl or not

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

I just heard this mentioned last week, but I can't remember where....You use powder in your coffee? What does that taste like? I put chocamine in mine.
      2005 HOA Natural Classic
      2006 OCB Midwest
      2007 ABA Natural Illinois
      2008 HOA Natural Classic
      NPC Mid-Illinois
      NPC Midwest Open
      NPC Natural Grand Prix
      2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
      USPA Illinois State
      NGA Heart of America
      NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Okayy, so.

I use roughly a gram in my coffee. I will run 3 grams on Friday and if you don't hear from me - I died.

It comes from (native to - more accurately) India and Bhutan.

APPARENTLY it helps with blood flow to the lungs, with digestion, reducing gas (booyah trying this during my skiploads), overcoming urinary tract infections (:sammich: ), overcoming erectile dysfunction among many things. Apparently. I haven't researched it in detail.

My impression is that it helps me deal with 'squatter's migraine', which I cop harder and longer than I would prefer if I don't use cardamom.

I am not sure in regards to your over-dosage question. I would have a guess at floral smelling turds.

I sprinkle it into my coffee and I quite enjoy the taste. (That's what she said.)

I am curious to see what you dig up, Lock.

Comment

Cardamom? No.
          Sammich's mom? Yes.

Skip

Sent from my Skip-Phone

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            Cardamom? No.
            Sammich's mom? Yes.

Skip

Sent from my Skip-Phone
            :lalala:
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

I think that is the best response I could have ever hoped for.

Comment

:focus: chaps.

Comment

Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
                  Been kinda swamped, but I am currently at the auto shop getting the car worked on, and using their wi-fi in the process...I'll start seeing what I can find out. Stay tuned.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                  -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

Originally posted by MusclesAreSexy View Post
                    If by chaps you mean assless, then why yes, they are wonderful for squatting. You can really dig in and get a full ROM.

Isn't Cardamom a spice?

Here you can make cookies with it! :yo: LOL

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
                    1/2 cup white sugar
                    1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
                    1 pinch ground cinnamon
                    1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
                    1/4 cup ground almonds
                    6 tablespoons butter
                    1 egg
                    2 teaspoons milk
                    1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration

Directions

1.Sift together flour, sugar, and spices; stir in peel and almonds. Cut in margarine till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in egg and milk till mixture forms a ball; chill.

2.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

3.Roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into circles 1-3/4 inches in diameter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes until edges are brown.
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Ok, so it's a plant based product, in the ginger root family.

Eletarria and Amomum are the two "strains" of it. Each comeing from a different region of Asia.

Here is a full study I found from the journal of Pharmacological research. It's old though, from 1996...BUT this was the best I could come up with, in a quick search. It's based on animal studies...

Here is some exceprts with the abstract, and the points I think are interesting or worth noting (for us).

Pharmacological Research, Vol. 34, No. 1/2, 1996
                      PHARMACOLOGICAL STUDIES OF CARDAMOM OIL IN ANIMALS
                      H. AL-ZUHAIR, B. EL-SAYEH, H. A. AMEEN and H. AL-SHOORA
                      Departments of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh 11495,
                      P.O. Box 22452, Saudi Arabia
                      Accepted 24 April 1996

Cardamom seeds are widely used for flavouring purposes in food and as carminative. Little information has been reported on their pharmacological and toxicological properties or, for their volatile oil which constitutes about 5% of the seed’s total weight. A comparative study of the anti-inflammatory activity of the oil extracted from commercial Elettaria cardamomum seeds, in doses of 175 and 280 µl/kg and indomethacin in a dose of 30 mg/kg against acute carrageenan-induced planter oedema in male albino rats was performed, which proved to be marked. Moreover, investigation of the analgesic activity using p-benzoquinone as a chemical stimulus proved that a dose of 233 µl/kg of the oil produced 50% protection against the writhing (stretching syndrome) induced by intraperitoneal administration of a 0.02% solution of p-benzoquinone in mice. In addition the antispasmodic activity was determined on a rabbit intestine preparation using acetylcholine as agonist, the results proving that cardamom oil exerts its antispasmodic action through muscarinic receptor blockage.

1996 The Italian Pharmacological Society
                      KEY WORDS: cardamom oil, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-spasmodic effect.

The volatile oil with cineole, limonene, terpineol
                      were used for studying the anti-inflammatory action
                      and linalol form the active ingredient. It relieves wind
                      of the oil. The animals were uniformly hydrated by
                      and colic, increases the flow of saliva and stimulates
                      the appetite.

Medically the(cardamon seeds) are used for faltulent indigestion and people with anorexia. Moreover, the seeds were prescribed in Ayurvedic medicine for coughs, colds, [4]. Moreover, many cardamom oil has antibacterial properties [5].

The entire study is pretty dry, and doesn't give us much as far as any effects with dealing with stims or anything of the sort.

What is to note however is its highly anti-inflammatory properties, and its analgesic effect. I will look up more when I can, but this study addressed most of these issues.

Seems like a good route to try to stimulate the appetite though, I have been looking up stories of anorexics and it seems to help...

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                      -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                        Cardamom? No.
                        Sammich's mom? Yes.

Skip

Sent from my Skip-Phone

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        :lalala:
                        :food:
                        2009- Muscle Mayhem 2nd place lightweights
                        2009- Mo State Champ 1st place lightweights
                        2010- Muscle Mayhem 9th place middleweights

next show
                        2012- Mo State Championships middleweight

Official NANBF Judge

Comment

Yes, I saw that study, Lock, along with a few other ones investigating Cardamom's use in several gastro-intestinal issues like ulcers and such. Also saw one study say it increased gastric emptying significantly. I think it quoted 1 1/2 times faster than base. I have it on my laptop I think but I don't have my laptop with me. I also saw another study discussing a product containing cardamom AND OTHER spices that had a noted effect when dosed with amphetamine. I will try to find it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has an effect with 1, 3 as it certainly feels like it does.

PS. I didn't die after taking 3g before back.

Comment

Working...
                          X