Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature, metabolism and diet

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this:

How many of you guys monitor or give body temp any credence in relation to the status of your metabolism. For example, low body temp (sub 98) may be a sign of a crashed metabolism.

A follow-up question would be, what do you guys normally do for this? Would a cheat meal or 1 day refeed do the trick or is something like a crashed metabolism only redressed with a period of weeks of above-maintenance eating?

I also realize that there are many factors that go into this such as training, stress, rest, supplements, etc. but assuming that the main cause of a blunted metabolism is under-eating and possibly over-training.

Hope that was a coherent question...
    True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Originally posted by grit View Post
    Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this:

How many of you guys monitor or give body temp any credence in relation to the status of your metabolism. For example, low body temp (sub 98) may be a sign of a crashed metabolism.

A follow-up question would be, what do you guys normally do for this? Would a cheat meal or 1 day refeed do the trick or is something like a crashed metabolism only redressed with a period of weeks of above-maintenance eating?

I also realize that there are many factors that go into this such as training, stress, rest, supplements, etc. but assuming that the main cause of a blunted metabolism is under-eating and possibly over-training.

Hope that was a coherent question...
    Skip has his clients track body temp (I hope this wasn't a trade secret skip)
    If I remember correctly, mine was consistently around 95, not 98-99, and I don't remember it fluctuating much during the week. I remember using three different thermometers because it was reading so low, haha.
    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
      Skip has his clients track body temp (I hope this wasn't a trade secret skip)
      If I remember correctly, mine was consistently around 95, not 98-99, and I don't remember it fluctuating much during the week. I remember using three different thermometers because it was reading so low, haha.
      Are you sure you weren't just looking for an excuse to use a rectal thermometer?
      "no bulking, no cutting, no bullshit. Just training for being a motherfucker" -- Jim Wendler

"No fucking lifter is hardcore. Hardcore is taking shrapnel in the ass fighting for your country. We're lifting weights." -- Dave Tate

Check out my Journal

Comment

Originally posted by BB85 View Post
        Are you sure you weren't just looking for an excuse to use a rectal thermometer?
        No, I just did it rectally the first time, all the others that followed were done orally. Which raises another question. Can you wash a thermometer? I didn't do it because I was scared it might break it.
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Lol my normal body temp is high as shit...I swear and get hot very easily. I notice this doesn't happen as I get leaner and leaner, due to the metabolism stalling most definitely. I think a week or so of eating big meals at sittings with an emphasis on lean protein and complex carbs, and EFA's...I know a guy who loves to CHUG EVOO to get his metabolism up for the day in the morning...he swears by it, but I am skeptical, LOL. along MAYBE with some added iodine to supplement your thyroid (very little effect,IMO but it's something) will do the trick to get it back up and humming...

...though it's a different story if someone's thyroid is really malfunctioning. Then more steps are needed. But if it is simply dieting induced metabolism slow down then I think the above protocol works...does for me when I try it. I go from walking around cold all the time, covered in hoodies inside my house, to walking around shirtless in less then a week flat...ECGC is awesome too in my opinion in helping this.

VERY curious to what skip says though...very curious. I never thought about monitoring body temp during a prep, but it makes perfect sense.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
          -1st SuperHeavy Gi
          2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
          -1st Heavyweight Gi
          2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
          2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Thanks for the discussion guys. I bring this up because recently I was sick and they gave me a thermometer to monitor my temp. I feel much better now and I took my temp and have been noticing it's around 97.7+ but under 98.

I've also been dieting for a couple months, but nothing too restrictive (just basic carb cycling with a weekly cheat meal). However, I feel like I may benefit from a period of maintenance/above-maintenance eating. Although, this may just as easily be handled with a high carb/cheat meal day(s). Just curious as to how people with more experience handle this type of situation diet wise.

I've also really upped my training frequency and intensity ala chaos&pain so that may play a role too... regardless, would love to hear from others as well and would appreciate continued discussion.
            True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
              Lol my normal body temp is high as shit...I swear and get hot very easily. I notice this doesn't happen as I get leaner and leaner, due to the metabolism stalling most definitely. I think a week or so of eating big meals at sittings with an emphasis on lean protein and complex carbs, and EFA's...I know a guy who loves to CHUG EVOO to get his metabolism up for the day in the morning...he swears by it, but I am skeptical, LOL. along MAYBE with some added iodine to supplement your thyroid (very little effect,IMO but it's something) will do the trick to get it back up and humming...

...though it's a different story if someone's thyroid is really malfunctioning. Then more steps are needed. But if it is simply dieting induced metabolism slow down then I think the above protocol works...does for me when I try it. I go from walking around cold all the time, covered in hoodies inside my house, to walking around shirtless in less then a week flat...ECGC is awesome too in my opinion in helping this.

VERY curious to what skip says though...very curious. I never thought about monitoring body temp during a prep, but it makes perfect sense.

I'm curious Lock, do you say your body temp is high as shit because you check it frequently and know, or because you do sweat and get hot all the time?

I'm only asking because I have the same symptoms. I sweat alot and usually I'm just hot regardless of where I am.....however, any time I take my temp I'm always running about 97 degrees or so.....even when I'm sick as hell, with every symptom of running a fever, it comes back normal. Is this how it is for you or are you actually running high all the time?
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                I'm curious Lock, do you say your body temp is high as shit because you check it frequently and know, or because you do sweat and get hot all the time?

I'm only asking because I have the same symptoms. I sweat alot and usually I'm just hot regardless of where I am.....however, any time I take my temp I'm always running about 97 degrees or so.....even when I'm sick as hell, with every symptom of running a fever, it comes back normal. Is this how it is for you or are you actually running high all the time?
                Oh, I have known I have been running hot all my life...the doc used to scare my mom at checkups when I was a kid because I was always 99.5-99.9 LOL.

I don't take my temp anymore, but every time I ever have it is always above 99. UNLESS I am sick. Then it's lower, LOL. I don't think I have had a fever since I was 6 or something like that either, haha.

But now, I just am observant with my sweat and stuff...forget wearing long sleeve shirts, even in the winter. Pit stains within 20 minutes every fucking time, LOL. I have some nice long sleeve shirts too...shame.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                -1st Heavyweight Gi

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

Comment

That's weird cause like I said, I sweat and am hot but run cooler. My youngest daughter always seems like she has a low grade fever (99-99.9 or so), yet she is ALWAYS cold....lol. Very odd, the human body.....
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                    That's weird cause like I said, I sweat and am hot but run cooler. My youngest daughter always seems like she has a low grade fever (99-99.9 or so), yet she is ALWAYS cold....lol. Very odd, the human body.....
                    Indeed. My situation probably stems from the problems I had with my pituitary tumor...messed up my endocrine system up pretty good there for a while when I was younger...who knows when that started. It was idiopathic, so they have no clue. Could be it...in some way at least. That's why I always tell people "THAT'S NOT NORMAL" in regards to my body temp, LOL.

-1st SuperHeavy Gi
                    -1st Heavyweight Gi

Comment

No, I just did it rectally the first time, all the others that followed were done orally. Which raises another question. Can you wash a thermometer? I didn't do it because I was scared it might break it.
                      Did adding in fat burners or t3 etc have any effect on the reading, if you used those?
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                        Did adding in fat burners or t3 etc have any effect on the reading, if you used those?
                        I don't remember for sure, but I am leaning towards no. I think I stayed around 95-96 throughout the duration of the prep.
                        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

My morning temp is always 96.5 or so but I'm a slug
                          Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

ATM??? :moon:
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

It is my understanding that this is very individual. Some people tend to run hotter/cooler than others. Others tend to take a while to get their temp up in the morning. Try taking your body temp for several days straight in the late afternoon/ early evening instead.
                              SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Working...
                              X