high-risk chest exercises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high-risk chest exercises?

I tore my pec in august and had it repaired surgically Sept 6. I went thru rehab and have returned to training. Currently i keep my reps on chest training to 20-30 reps per set. From an anatomical perspective what exercises are high-risk?

BB flat bench is out obviously

i feel comfortable with DB presses how are:

BB decline press
    BB incline press
    Close-grip BP
    Reverse grip BP (not a fan of RGBP smith)

Im guessing that Decline BB are probably high risk but id rather know from somebody with a better understanding of anatomy/physiology than me
    Last edited by trucelt; 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM. Reason: nobodys replying
    '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
    17 AAU Super Total
    '16-AAU Hi
    '15-USPA Metro
    '15-USPA State
    '15-AAU HI
    '14-AAU HI
    '14-USPA Metro
    '14-WABDL Sonny's
    '14-USPA State
    '14-HI Strongman
    '13-USPA
    '13-WABDL Sonny's
    '13-USPA State
    '13-AAU HI
    '11-USPA Metro
    '10-NPC Stingrey
    '09-NPC Islands
    '09-NPC Stingrey
    '09-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA Islands
    '02-ABA IronWorks
    '01-NPC Paradise Cup
    '01-ABA Olympia
    '01-ABA Islands
    '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
    '00-INBF Musclefest
    '98-NGA Ill
    '98-INBF Ohio

Ya, celt your on the right track...declines can be a problem for some people's structures...

personally, my shoulders get wreck from them, but I have seen such good things come from em.

"I'd stick with low incline stuff...seems to be the most advantageous position you can put your pecs in. I'm talking like 15-30 degrees....

I'd also say any movement where you are doing a fly, with your scapula fixed in place could pose a problem....try doing your flies with cables for a bit, and see if the other versions give you trouble. "

-That's from my mother ^, who I just asked your question to. She's a PTA and a massage therapist. FWIW.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
    -1st Heavyweight Gi
    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

thanks Lock, i never did a ton of declines but can get pretty strong on them, jsut worried about that stretch on the pec in the bottom of the rep.

also thinking about using benching reverse grip,as a power move, ive seen guys do PL meets and bench reverse grip..... doesnt seem to stress the pec the way the regular flat bench does (internal rotation??)
      '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
      17 AAU Super Total
      '16-AAU Hi
      '15-USPA Metro
      '15-USPA State
      '15-AAU HI
      '14-AAU HI
      '14-USPA Metro
      '14-WABDL Sonny's
      '14-USPA State
      '14-HI Strongman
      '13-USPA
      '13-WABDL Sonny's
      '13-USPA State
      '13-AAU HI
      '11-USPA Metro
      '10-NPC Stingrey
      '09-NPC Islands
      '09-NPC Stingrey
      '09-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA Islands
      '02-ABA IronWorks
      '01-NPC Paradise Cup
      '01-ABA Olympia
      '01-ABA Islands
      '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
      '00-INBF Musclefest
      '98-NGA Ill
      '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

IMO, it has to do with the same thing as why DB's sometimes feel better for some to do at an angle in between neutral and pronated (like at an angle)...it's just that force coming down at an angle from the wrist that the pec doesn't like...not too too sure on that, I would have to do some more thinking and visualizing. But I think reverse grip shouldn't aggravate much. The reasons I am throwing around in my head, but I rather be certain before I say anything...maybe Aaron will see this and chime in.

But, everyone is gonna be different. I know for me, DB's actually hurt me sometimes in my shoulder, so I don't do a ton of DB work.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
        -1st SuperHeavy Gi
        2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
        -1st Heavyweight Gi
        2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
        2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

After 3 shoulder surgeries the past couple years I can now "comfortably" do db flat press, incline smith and flat smith. My problem now is that even though everything is higher rep now, I'm quickly approaching weights I used to use on lower rep sets. Makes me nervous.
          -KidRok-
          "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
          5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

i would stick with dumbells due to you can position them to take stress off the injury

Sm inclines would be ok.
            Dont know about declines-declines stress my pecs depending on the angle
            If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
            :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
            Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

I personally think that the decline is useless as far as a bobybuilding chest movement...dont waste your time.
              Truce, Although this goes against some peoples thoughts here, I don't think it is necessary in Barbell pressing movements to put your pecs in an injurious position whatsoever. Stop a few inches above your chest for safetys sake. Look, BB movements for the chest really stress the delts and triceps move than the chest anyway (if they are done correctly/safely). They are done for thickness..
              Flyes, or anything converging, is really the proper way to hit your pecs.

Smith inclines, DB inclines, Hammer inclines, and yes BB inclines ..these are amongst your best choices for chest press movements now.

Use the pec deck and cables and DBs for your fly movements.
              2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
              2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
              2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
              1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
              1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
              1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
              1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
              + more

Comment

Never tore a pec (well a bad strain but no REAL tear) but I have torn both cuffs and for me...I can't go by "the book" on what I can and can't do. What I mean is that most people who have hurt their cuffs can not do dips yet dips are one of the few pain free exs I can do. I really think it depends on your structure and wear the tear is, how it healed, etc... Ever since I strained my pec bad benching with a BB was hard... As soon as I got any real wt on the bar I would get a minor strain and stop again....but when I come high on my chest...to the upper pecs... I am fine. I go low to my nipples and BOOM another strain. Inclines on the smith are fine, rv grip smiths never cause a problem, etc ...

Just saying I think it depends on you, how it healed, where it was, your structure, etc...

Peace.
                Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                Nicki Minaj

Comment

I don´t need to say I´m not a phisiology expert because you already know me, but I would say:
                  -Pin presses to make sure you don´t go all the way down,
                  -Barbell and dumbell floor presses and band presses. With banded floor BB or DB presses you can move quite a bit of weight and the risk of injury is very low. Banded work in general is safe because the greater overload comes in a strong point where the pecs are less prone to injury
                  -Elbows always tucked in...

With these exercises I think you would be able to work your chest without risking injury, I will not suggest angles because I´m sure your body will tell you which angles feel better. If the angle feels good, the ROM is safe and the rep range is high I think you are on your way

Comment

I have not torn anything thank God but have had pecs and shoulder strains. Most comfortable for me on any press movement is to use the middle 75% it so of the range of motion. You can even do flat bench this way because you don't put your chest and shoulders in that horrible stretched position. And as far as declines, I'm a fan. They work great for me and no shoulder pain. I bring the bar down under the pecs though, I know some guys go higher for more stretch.

I love the seated flat and incline hammer strength machines too. Cable x-overs are great too after a couple pressing moves to isolate and "finish" the job.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
                    Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                      I tore my pec in august and had it repaired surgically Sept 6. I went thru rehab and have returned to training. Currently i keep my reps on chest training to 20-30 reps per set. From an anatomical perspective what exercises are high-risk?

BB flat bench is out obviously

i feel comfortable with DB presses how are:

BB decline press
                      BB incline press
                      Close-grip BP
                      Reverse grip BP (not a fan of RGBP smith)

Im guessing that Decline BB are probably high risk but id rather know from somebody with a better understanding of anatomy/physiology than me
                      I might throw Jeremiah a call. He's been there done that. I'll let you know. Maybe if he isn't too busy I can get him to post.
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Thanks guys, its nice to post and get feedback from the guys you were hoping to get feedback from......all good ideas. I'm already limiting the ROM, stopping about 3 above the chest. May have give floor press a try..
                        Last edited by trucelt; 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM.
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I am doing DB floor presses in the high rep range 20- 30 for the first time as part of my blast and really like how it feels. A hassle to set-up if done RP style...

BTW: My right pec minor tendon is ruptured and was never surgically repaired.
                          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Lg was the pec black and blue?

Sent from my DROIDX
                            [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                            Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Celt:

I'd personally be most concerned/focused on humeral angle in relation to the body/ribcage than I would be bench angle. Having your elbows flared (so your elbows are in line across your shoulders and elbows in line with your collar bone) can put far more stress on your pec and pec tendon than flat or incline benching per se...I'd be using a 45 degree or powerlifting style bench motion where the elbows are comfortably turned towards the body slightly (not tucked tight), but that will take alot of the stress off that area.

Comment

Working...
                              X