Contest Prep and Supplementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contest Prep and Supplementation

I never was much of a supplement guy coming up. Oh, sure I tried every new fangled powder and pill, but I really didn't understand what I was doing. A few years ago I realized I was making all this business way too complicated. Bottom line is that if something is new give it some time and it will probably be bunk. My first real supplement strategy started out this way and continues to this day. I stay with what is tried and true, and only add new products when they have showed promise in the lab and in the real world. Really doing things any other way is just too expensive.
    Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:14 PM.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Covering Your Bases

A lot of us don't think about this stuff, but if you ask any competitive bodybuilder they will tell you getting sick is a major obstacle during any prep. As with everything I'm pretty basic with my supplementation in this area as well. As contest prep comes I will take two multi vitamins and try to get in at least a gram of vitamin C. I may even add another gram of vitamin C as well. On top of the multi I will take a 5000 IU's of vitamin D. Vitamin D has been shown to support hormone production and the immune system. Now talk with your doctor before supplementing to this level. I get blood tests as all bodybuilders should and this level of supplementation was at the direction of my doctor. Someone in a sunnier climate than Ohio may not need this much. I will take a fish oil with this as well.

I take this supplementation very serious for several reasons. First I want to maintain good health. Second I don't want to screw up my prep with any unnecessary illnesses. During any prep you will be undernourished and with my diet it is no different. You will be lacking many of the nutrients that your body needs. If you aren't familiar with my form of dieting I do a High calorie day and an extremely low calorie day. This is only possible during a contest prep with solid nutritional support. With my diet this is even more important on my Down Day since we will only take in 500kcal (not including BCAA and Glutamine)

Base Supplement Schedule

Multi Vitamin (at least 500 mg of vitamin C during offseason, and at least 1 gram during contest prep. Often this will get bumped to 2-3 grams during more stressful training.).

Vitamin D 5000 IU (dosage varies depending on individual)

Fish Oil 2 softgels daily
    Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM.

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Protecting Your Muscles

As I've stated before when you are in a calorie deficit as you are during contest prep you are balancing periods of being catabolic and anabolic. More often than not you will be in periods of being catabolic so you need to protect your muscle during those periods. I do this with Glutamine and BCAA's. I will use these products in conjunction with each other. On days I don't train I will take each product upon waking and before bed. On days I train I take a serving of each pre and post workout and before bed. Each scoop of my Glutamine is 7.6 grams of Glutamine. The Glutamine promotes muscle protein synthesis, and helps with utilizing muscle glycogen for energy. Then each serving of my BCCA contains 12 grams. There is evidence that shows that BCAA's may protect from muscle breakdown and actually aid in muscle protein synthesis.

Glutamine 15.2 grams on non training days 22.8 on training days.

BCAA 24 grams on non training days and 36 grams on training days.
      Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM.

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Performance

Most of the time we think of creatine and NO products during the times when we are trying to gain. I put just as much emphasis on this category during times of dieting. I have found that the longer we can keep our strength up the more muscle we can maintain.

First I start off with a creatine and beta alanine supplement. This product contains 3 grams of creatine, 1.6 grams of Beta-Alanin. In order to get the efficacious amounts of each supplement I will take two servings on non training. One serving in the Morning and on in the evening. On training days I take a serving pre workout, post workout and one before bed.

Next I take an NO product which has more creatine monohydrate (2.5 grams), and beta alanine in it. Citruline Malate is included in this product which elevates Arginine more than Arginine itself. This in turn will product Nitric Oxide. This of course will leads to larger pumps. Citruline Malate has also been shown to increase aerobic ATP production and stimulates the removal of lactic acid and ammonia. This is just a small part about why I like this product. There are some other ingredients that are added that the company states assist with recovery. My basis for using this product was because of the ingredients I knew of. The bottom line is that it improves my training even during periods of calorie restriction. Actually, it helps even more during calorie restriction.
        Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:19 PM.

Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Fat Loss

This is about as complex as I get, but the longer I've been competing I've noticed I've needed these supplements for less time each cut.

First I start out with an appetite suppressant similar to ECA. As the cut continues the appetite can be a major enemy this product works well at keep that monster at bay.

Then next product I take is a product that supports liver function during periods of diet stress. The liver is an important organ, and can take a beating when you lose fat especially if you lose fat rapidly. Some of you may know that when I got back into bodybuilding I was 235 lbs at 36% bf. I went all the way down to compete as a light weight. The problem is that much of this fat can be deposited on the liver. This showed up on a test my doctor did. From then on I've taken liver health very serious. This product contains N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and Milk Thistle. Green Tea is also added to this product to support fat loss.

Finally, in this combo I take a product that has white kidney bean extract as a main ingredient. I think this product can be good any time, but during contest prep, especially towards the end something like this can be very beneficial. On the diet I do, as I mentioned earlier, I have a very high calorie day. This product is used on these days with my higher carb meals to block the enzyme that is responsible for breaking down starches into sugars.

One other thing I will add is about 600 mg of L-Carnitine in divided dosages with meals to increase the utilization of stored fats for energy. This way I can spare muscle glycogen and amino acids which will spare muscle tissue while dieting.

Well, this is about it. This is my four pronged supplement attack of fat.
          Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM.

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

do you have a financial interest in dotFIT?

Comment

I believe you are sponsored by DotFit? Am I correct in this? Here's what I know about them....

I trained clients at a gym in NJ that pushes this line, as well as trying to sell the memberships to the website.....that's so members can pick a diet, enter their foods and have everything tracked for them diet wise.....the gym wanted me to push these supps on my clients, but IMO they were junk. I could not in good conscience sway my clients to these products when they aren't good quality and they are GNC type pricing, or more. Especially when there are other companies like TN that offer so many products at better pricing AND better quality.....this company offers a 2lb protein powder similar to TN's new low priced whey product for more than that price, and it's only 2 lbs....maybe it's a gym by gym basis, but IMO these products were made for regular people who have no clue what they need, and then they are persuaded by their "fitness counselor" to buy the products, at a way overpriced cost.....sorry to come off as a dick, but I've been there and been involved with this and it's a joke, as much as its a money making scam.....
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Yes I am sponsored by them. I'm pretty sure I wasn't hiding that. I actually don't know about what memberships they sell to their website. I'm not involved in that. My website actually offers free access to their website (training calenders, diet logs, etc.). Their retail prices may be high, but just like with everything else there are ways to get lower prices. The retail prices are no where near what my clients pay. I also offer one other brand to my clients as well. I never push anything, in fact I give them the choice. I trust the other as I have also used their brand as well. I'd offer more brands, but I don't think that is necessary as these two brands cover all the necessary basis.

I am curious, and I don't ask this in an argumentative way, but what proof do you have that their products are junk? Is it that you don't believe in the ingredients that they use? Or is it that you don't think they use enough of the necessary ingredients? I really do want to know. I've had no problems and actually have had good results, but I'm open to any contrary information.

As far as your statement that they are a scam, there may very well be some marketing that you don't like involving the gym and how the products are pushed, but I have nothing to do with that. I would think that the pushing of the supplements would have just as much to do with the gym as anything else. I do see your point in this regard. If I saw products being pushed at a high price at a gym I'd probably think the same thing, but this is done with a lot of brands beside dotFIT. Keep in mind with supplements you have three or four price points; Internet, which is the lowest, Privately Owned Supplement Stores, GNC or other franchises, and then the Gyms. Obviously, gyms are always going to have the much higher price. This is like going to the golf shop at the course to buy clubs. If you look back 20 years membership fees to gyms have barely gone up, so this is just another way for companies to make money and keep the doors open. Memberships alone will not cut.

This leads me to my next point; supplements are only supplements. They aren't "magic formulas". If you believe in the ingredients that are included in a product and you trust the company is putting in what they say then that is really the best you can do.

As far as supplements go I actually limit their use much of the year. During contest prep I add a lot more products in to support my training. Off season I'm more of a believer in relying on food.

Obviously, I put in the brand of product that I use, but that really wasn't the point of my post. The point of this was to show what supplements I use and that you don't really need any fancy supplements to get ready for a show.

I hope I'm not coming off as a Dick either, I just want to make it clear that I'm not a newbie pushing anything on anyone.
                Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM.

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by steve302 View Post
                  do you have a financial interest?
                  Really? Good God you guys are killing me. I'm a athlete of theirs, it says it in my signature. I'm sponsored by them that's it. I don't own the company or have a financial interest beyond that. I put the supplements I use and decided I'd put the brand of the product as well.

I really am not trying to shove anything down your throats. If you like the supplements I use, but want to use another brand, great. If you don't fine. I'm not a con artist or a scammer. I believe I've developed a decent rep on here for being honest. Perhaps something will come up and I'll change my mind, but for the time being these supplements have served me well.

I apologize if I'm coming off as frustrated, but I've put a lot of time and effort into this site for you guys over the last couple months (You'll find out next week). I know there are a lot of scum bags in this business (I've met a few), but I'm not one of them. I really am just like the rest of you. I want to get a good deal and not throw away my money on crap. That is something unique I'm focusing on this year for the advertising for the site. I'm hoping to provide you guys with companies we trust and want to work with. There will be more to come in this regard. Like I said, hang in here till the beginning of next month and you'll see some of what I'm talking about. Stay tuned.
                  Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:25 PM.

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Sorry dude but this whole thread just comes across as you pimping this company when they don't even sponsor the board. I'll skip all the long posts and stick with True Nutrition.
                    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
                      Yes I am sponsored by them. I'm pretty sure I wasn't hiding that. I actually don't know about what memberships they sell to their website. I'm not involved in that. My website actually offers free access to their website (training calenders, diet logs, etc.). Their retail prices may be high, but just like with everything else there are ways to get lower prices. The retail prices are no where near what my clients pay. I also offer one other brand to my clients as well. I never push anything, in fact I give them the choice. I trust the other as I have also used their brand as well. I'd offer more brands, but I don't think that is necessary as these two brands cover all the necessary basis.

OK

I am curious, and I don't ask this in an argumentative way, but what proof do you have that their products are junk? Is it that you don't believe in the ingredients that they use? Or is it that you don't think they use enough of the necessary ingredients? I really do want to know. I've had no problems and actually have had good results, but I'm open to any contrary information.

I have never used the products. The products that I have looked at the label claims on have been, well, let's say "less than very good quality", at pricing which is higher than some very high quality powders and other stuff.

As far as your statement that they are a scam, there may very well be some marketing that you don't like involving the gym and how the products are pushed, but I have nothing to do with that. I would think that the pushing of the supplements would have just as much to do with the gym as anything else. I do see your point in this regard. If I saw products being pushed at a high price at a gym I'd probably think the same thing, but this is done with a lot of brands beside dotFIT. Keep in mind with supplements you have three or four price points; Internet, which is the lowest, Privately Owned Supplement Stores, GNC or other franchises, and then the Gyms. Obviously, gyms are always going to have the much higher price. This is like going to the golf shop at the course to buy clubs. If you look back 20 years membership fees to gyms have barely gone up, so this is just another way for companies to make money and keep the doors open. Memberships alone will not cut.

Yes, I have seen this first hand, as far as the marketing that goes on with it, at least in my gym. I understand the pricing issues, I was just floored at the prices they were trying to get, for what I considered a run of the mill product.

This leads me to my next point; supplements are only supplements. They aren't "magic formulas". If you believe in the ingredients that are included in a product and you trust the company is putting in what they say then that is really the best you can do.

As far as supplements go I actually limit their use much of the year. During contest prep I add a lot more products in to support my training. Off season I'm more of a believer in relying on food.

I understand this as well, the only supps I rely on are protein powder, and then intra workout stuff, such as creatine, bcaa's, and starches.

Obviously, I put in the brand of product that I use, but that really wasn't the point of my post. The point of this was to show what supplements I use and that you don't really need any fancy supplements to get ready for a show. Whether it was dotFIT or Beverly International I would have used many of the same supplements.

I hope I'm not coming off as a Dick either, I just want to make it clear that I'm not a newbie pushing anything on anyone.
                      Point taken. I didn't mean to imply that you were pushing. I just have had very bad run ins with those at the gyms, since I wasn't pushing their products. I simply don't believe in them, that's the bottom line. Some may like the brand, I just do not.

That being said, I do appreciate the fact that you came in here, explained your position, and did it appropriately and didn't get argumentative. I do have alot of respect for your posts and your accomplishments and I read all of your posts when I see them. I guess we just have a difference of opinion regarding these products and that's not that big of a deal imo. Like I said, some guys may love EAS stuff, but I wouldn't touch it if it was given to me. Just opinions is all...

Thanks for the reply
                      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                        Sorry dude but this whole thread just comes across as you pimping this company when they don't even sponsor the board. I'll skip all the long posts and stick with True Nutrition.
                        This is going to be my last defense of this. I am not pimping there company, but perhaps I posted this hastily and it might have come off as an advertisement. I just wanted to post my regimen and the company I'm representing. I want to be clear; I love true nutrition,and other companies. I believe if you use the same products from another company like true nutrition or whatever company as long as they put it what supposed to be there it will provide the benefit you desire. By all means stick with Truenutrition. I'm not sure what is with the tone, unless I'm reading this wrong. As far as them not sponsoring the site if Skip wants the post down I will gladly do so, but I'm pretty sure we are able to mention other companies.
                        Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:24 PM.

Truenutrition.com
                        Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                          I'll skip all the long posts and stick with True Nutrition.
                          X2 :bb:
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

The tone was just that as much as I think you are a stand up guy that this was a very ill advised way of making this thread. You could have accomplished the same thing by leaving out any name brands and just stressed the importance of selecting a quality manufacturer and your particular supplementing strategies.

"I will take a good multi vitamin..."

Instead of "I will take a dotFIT Active MV..."

It just came across very used car salesmanish.
                            Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

ADAM-

Point taken.

Mental-

Stay with True Nutrition. No one said to switch. They have great stuff at great prices. I use some of their stuff too.
                              Last edited by Doberman; 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM.

Truenutrition.com
                              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                              X