Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ultra low carb diet questions???? and well on high carb questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ultra low carb diet questions???? and well on high carb questions?

I have been training in boxing for about 3 months now and have been using an on/off low carb approach. I am starting to really turn up the length of my training and intensity. I have a few nutrition questions.

A) I have a bodybuilder friend that has competed taken some good titles that tells me to eat only fruit as a carb and the rest protein/fats to get lean. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

B) I have been doing no carbs and feeling fine but the last week I am running out of energy during my 1.5 hour boxing work out. (I am still pretty out of shape so there is go hard but with lots of quick breathers in between) I am playing around with the idea that diet maybe the factor. I have lost a good amount of weight with no carbs and would like to still see good losses.

I have two options I can try if I maintain this no carb approach.

I thought of maybe trying some Waxy Maize pre work out to see if it boosts me or maybe some fruit an hour before the work out.

I life twice a week and box 3-4 times a week. I know this is exactly the forum for this (I loved this forum during my get strong football days). buit figure ppl here know a lot about nutrition.

or lastly I can go to his all fruit as a carb idea based on that the carbs burn fast and get out of your system.

Stats: 6 foot tall and 295 (was 330) guessing around 25% bodyfat or a tad lower due to I have maintained decent muscle mass.

My only advice would be to use Karboload/Karbolyn instead of WaxyMaize if you go the liquid carb route; it taste better and is a better quality carb in my opinion.

Actually, I have another piece of advice: if you decide to add carbs, do so slowly, so that you can figure out what is the minimal amount you need to get through training.

So many guys go straight to 200 grams of simple carbs and wonder why they get fat.

Comment

Originally posted by jbthumper View Post
      I have been training in boxing for about 3 months now and have been using an on/off low carb approach. I am starting to really turn up the length of my training and intensity. I have a few nutrition questions.

A) I have a bodybuilder friend that has competed taken some good titles that tells me to eat only fruit as a carb and the rest protein/fats to get lean. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

If you're an athlete of another sport, it's hard to apply bb'ing dietary approaches. Some you can use, others not so much. You're a boxer yes? You need complex carbs brother. And lots of em. Go seek some nutritional advice from fighters on various forums. They'll tell you they eat lots of lean proteins, adequate fats, and carbs to fuel their INTENSIVE cardiovascular AND weight training.

B) I have been doing no carbs and feeling fine but the last week I am running out of energy during my 1.5 hour boxing work out.

NO SHIT

(I am still pretty out of shape so there is go hard but with lots of quick breathers in between) I am playing around with the idea that diet maybe the factor. I have lost a good amount of weight with no carbs and would like to still see good losses.

I have two options I can try if I maintain this no carb approach.

I thought of maybe trying some Waxy Maize pre work out to see if it boosts me or maybe some fruit an hour before the work out.

I life twice a week and box 3-4 times a week. I know this is exactly the forum for this (I loved this forum during my get strong football days). buit figure ppl here know a lot about nutrition.

or lastly I can go to his all fruit as a carb idea based on that the carbs burn fast and get out of your system.

Stats: 6 foot tall and 295 (was 330) guessing around 25% bodyfat or a tad lower due to I have maintained decent muscle mass.
      ^^red

Ok, so you're not exactly a BOXER. You box, for hobby/fitness?

In that case, you are most likely gonna wanna follow an approach that gives adequate protein, adequate healthy fats, AND carbs...not too much, and not too little of any. If you eat reasonable portions of WHOLE foods, while structuring your meals so that carbs are eaten earlier in the day, and around workouts...then you'll drop body fat like no one's business as long as you are consistent and don't stray from the path. The body is a homeostatic machine...treat it as an athlete athlete, and it will try it's damnedest to catch up you your goals.

If you take a bodybuilders approach you will usually (find yourself) stalling on progress in everything, because to be honest with everyone, bodybuilding workouts just AREN'T as demanding on the cardiovascular system as other methods of training....yes, it can get REALLY FUCKING INTENSE. And brutal. and all that...but compared to anything else, it's different. Recovery is a HUUUUUUUGE part in growing for bodybuilding purposes...IMO, in other sports, it's not, as sport specific skills are harped on primarily, with strength training, and nutrition taking a backseat to skill work overall, in most novice's plans.
      Just be reasonable with your food choices...it's not rocket science. Whole foods. Lean meats, grains, legumes, beans, fruit, veggies, not too heavy on the dairy products....what everyone knows is "healthy". You're goal as a fighter right now should be getting in shape...not maintaining muscle. You'd be surprised just how far you can stress your system without making it leech protein...which is highly touted as a definite...and most guys who think that way never get "in shape" whatever that definition is to their sport.

Sometimes you just gotta have some common sense. Ask fighters man. That's how you learn: ask other's who have been there done that. I have a little background in martial arts, but nothing serious. I follow MMA pretty closely, closer at some times than others, but even I know the protocols for training camps before fights....

Hope that helps.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
      -1st SuperHeavy Gi
      2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
      -1st Heavyweight Gi
      2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
      2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Follow everything lock it up said bro. If you're training your ass off boxing, you're taxing your cardiovascular system like crazy. You're gonna need some fuel for that rage in the gym/ring.
        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Working...
        X