Pepto Pro vs BCAA's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepto Pro vs BCAA's

Curious as to which you use and why. While I have read up on some of the science behind them I am admittedly not an expert on them. People seem to use them interchangeably though.

Honestly I had thought Pepto Pro would take off more based on what I have read but BCAA's seem to be more common.
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

For me, I notice Pepto Pro seems to give me a little bit of an energy boost that BCAA's don't. Hard to explain. I don't mean it's like a stimulant by any means, but after my workouts I feel more "fresh", even after a brutal ass kicking.

I've never tried pepto pro for anything other than intra-workout, so I can't comment on using it between meals.

EDIT: I'd be interested to hear Scott and MG's answers' to this question.
    TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

At almost $30 a pound, the pepto pro isn't something I could ever use long term....I've used BCAA's it seems like forever....I've tried pepto pro in the past, but I used it pwo, not intra.....in my case it's just not worth it to me to spend that much money.....
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I currently use Pepto Pro over BCAA's simply because I can't keep BCAA's down. I have a pretty strong stomach but half the time I would take BCAA's I would vomit. Can't explain it other than they taste like straight chemicals to me, even TP's instantized. With that said, I find them interchangeable and wish I could find a BCAA that agrees with me...

Comment

Originally posted by dougisbig View Post
          I currently use Pepto Pro over BCAA's simply because I can't keep BCAA's down. I have a pretty strong stomach but half the time I would take BCAA's I would vomit. Can't explain it other than they taste like straight chemicals to me, even TP's instantized. With that said, I find them interchangeable and wish I could find a BCAA that agrees with me...
          I've always used the BCAA's and mix them in Gatorade with potato starch and creatine. I can't taste them at all in there, but I know that straight in water is nasty.....
          STEEL

Comment

Pepto Pro
            A recovery drink with fast peptides which is clear, stable and delicious?! Until recently, an impossibility. But now there is PeptoPro®, the ready-to-use DSM solution for your recovery drinks.
            Protein drinks
            Carbohydrates and fats are the only fuel the body needs. On the other hand, proteins supply energy and the building blocks for e.g. muscles, tissue and cell membranes. That is why they are used so much by sportspeople. Up to now they have had to content themselves with an unpalatable suspension of protein powder in water.
            To make protein clearly water soluble, it has to be hydrolysed. The resulting peptides are, however, often extremely bitter. Also, solutions of amino acids are no option because they are very reactive and unstable in solution and in addition are forbidden in the EU.
            Natural food protein is too big to be absorbed by the human gut. Our body has to digest the protein by breaking it down into smaller pieces which can be absorbed. Only single amino acids, and di- and tri-peptides can be directly absorbed in our intestinal tract via specific peptide importers. PeptoPro® contains 70-80% small di- and tri-peptides which are directly absorbed with digestion.
            Di- and tripeptides
            With its patented technology PeptoPro® is very rich in small di- and tri-peptides. These score better on all fronts:
            •very easily soluble in water
            •stable, even in an acidic environment
            •no bitter taste
            •hypoallergenic
            •permitted in all countries
            •fast and total absorption by the body
            •stimulates the release of insulin

New class
            PeptoPro® ushers in a new drinks category onto the sports drinks and soft drinks market. Normal sports drinks covered only three of the four elements: water for rehydration, glucose and/or electrolytes. PeptoPro® now finally adds protein in dissolvable form. Active peptides, which together with carbohydrates raise the concentration of insulin and supply the building blocks required for muscle recovery. The result: faster muscle refuelling and energy recovery.
            Comparison of protein sources
            Proteins can be obtained from food such as meat and fish, soya, wheat, peas, potatoes and rice. 80% of the milk protein consists of casein, which settles when the milk is acidified. The remaining liquid contains whey proteins, which are water soluble (but not clear).
            Here are the different sources of protein supplements with their advantages and drawbacks:
            •Whey protein. Milk proteins like whey or casein sometimes cause cow-milk allergies, and whey protein in higher doses can lead to digestive problems like flatulence and diarrhea. The solution of whey protein in water is not clear unless the big proteins have been strained off or partially hydrolysed. Some people have problems in digesting complete whey protein.
            •Intact proteins are not easily digested and are therefore not usable during or before sports activities. Also, they do not increase the insulin level during the recovery phase.
            •Amino acids did not obtain GRAS classification (Generally Recognized As Safe) in the US and are not allowed for use in food production in Europe. They are unstable in drinks and react with sugar (so-called Maillard reaction). And finally, they raise the osmolality of the drinks, which leads to poorer sugar, water and mineral absorption.
            •Peptides obtained by ‘classic’ hydrolysis are extremely bitter, are absorbed slower, and can cause some allergic reactions and have no or only a low effect on raising the insulin level after exercise
            •The di- and tripeptides in PeptoPro® are completely water soluble. They form a clear and stable solution, which is not bitter. They are quickly absorbed by the body and stimulate insulin production. They are hypoallergenic, and were thoroughly tested during the Athens Olympic Games in 2004.

BCAA's
            The "branched chain" amino acids (BCAA's), leucine, isoleucine and valine are so called because the side chains of these amino acids (the part of the molecule that differentiates the amino acids) are made up of non-linear (branching) carbon chains. The BCAA's are essential amino acids, meaning that they must be consumed in the diet (rather than manufactured in the body) and constitute a more than one third of the amino acid composition of skeletal muscle(1). During high intensity exercise, the BCAA's are oxidized for use as fuel and to maintain oxidative metabolite concentration(2). Supplementing with BCAA's reduces exercise-induced muscle proteolysis (breakdown)(3) and also stimulates muscle protein synthesis(4). Daily BCAA supplementation may also reduce muscle damage, promote strength recovery and even enhance blood oxygen carrying capacity(5).
            Of the three BCAA's, leucine plays a special role in skeletal muscle metabolism, in particular by exerting an anti-catabolic and anabolic effect on protein metabolism(6-10). Leucine metabolites that have been sold as sports (HMB) or animal feed supplements (keto-isocaproate) also exert anabolic effects in humans and growing animals(11, 12). In fact, leucine incorporation into skeletal muscle has long been used as a marker of muscle protein synthesis(13) and oxidation(14). Because leucine so powerfully stimulates muscle protein synthesis, some researchers have suggested L-Leucine supplementation to combat age-associated loss of skeletal muscle mass (sarcopenia)(9).
            Supplement Use
            True Nutrition offers each of the BCAA's independently or pre-mixed, which is specifically designed with a 2:1:1 ratio favoring leucine, for the reasons listed above. True Nutrition's BCAA Boost also contains this ratio of BCAA's with other ingredients designed to promote fat loss and spare muscle mass when dieting. BCAA's can be blended in a post-workout supplement (10+ grams) to maximize muscle anabolism (along with supplements such as creatine, L-Glutamine, Waxy Maize, and / or a protein powder blend), or taken during training or between meals to reduce protein breakdown (e.g., during a low calorie diet).

**I'm guessing solubility and the fact they are proteins broken down into the di and tri peptides instead of just the 3 amino acids making the profile better**

Here is pepto pro's amino profile

Per 100 grams
            Alanine 2.3 Arginine 3 AsparticAcid 5 Cystine 1 GlutamicAcid 17.1 Glycine 1.4 Histidine 2.2 Isoleucine 3.8 Leucine 7.5 Lysine 5.9 Methionine 2.6 Phenylalanine 3.7 Proline 8.5 Serine 4.1 Threonine 2.9 Tryptophan 8 Tyrosine 4.4 Valine 5.1

BCAA's
            you get 2:1:1 so 2g Leucine, 1g Isoleucine, 1g Valine

so if that's per 100g you get 50:25:25 but none of the other's

I go back and forth but prefer pepto and like to use it strictly around workouts or 1st thing AM
            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

So part of it comes down to which is more valuable... an abundance of those 3 major amino acids or the whole profile?

But you personally aren't taking in more than 15-30g at a time of Pepto right Robb? So that would reduce what you are getting as listed in the Pepto description by more than half...?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam2433 View Post
                So part of it comes down to which is more valuable... an abundance of those 3 major amino acids or the whole profile?

But you personally aren't taking in more than 15-30g at a time of Pepto right Robb? So that would reduce what you are getting as listed in the Pepto description by more than half...?
                Well we're talking 30g of protein and not 30g of product, and I probably take 100g a day, going to make me look this up you son of a bitch, lol. Don't forget I don't assimilate protein from whole foods as well as you other guys either. So I take roughly 120g of product to get my 100g pepto. For me I don't think they are interchangeable but probably adjunct to one another where you use both similar to bcaa's during and whey after. I think the conversation should be more like whey vs pepto than bcaa vs pepto.

They both(pepto & bcaa's) provide an insulin spike and are more rapidly/easily absorbed by the body. Both plusses for me. I don't use whey or any other protein sources due to my compromised lack of intestines. Like I said I don't think one should replace the other but as far as a whole protein source I prefer pepto pro
                For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Your "compromised lack of intestines".....I'm sorry but how you put that had me laughing a bit...
                  STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                    Your "compromised lack of intestines".....I'm sorry but how you put that had me laughing a bit...
                    LOL, well I don't have a colon or even a semicolon for that matter plus they cut some small intestine out to make my J Pouch. It's what I refer to as the express lane, I can go poo quicker than people can pee

Comment

I've got an article coming out at musclemag on essential amino acids that will help you guys with this. (Part one should be out soon, I believe.)

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I used to use BCAA then went to pepto pro and for the last 6-8 months right thru my prep etc settled on EAA

15g gives me my 5g leucine and all the other important aminos at the same time.

To me it just doesnt make sense to just take in the BCAA when i can take in all EAA and get the same effect plus more
                        nabba north 2010 first timers - 6th place

Comment

So many opinions, so many options haha.

Comment

IMO, seems like splitting hairs....
                            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                              IMO, seems like splitting hairs....
                              Do tell.

-S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Working...
                              X