Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waiting to see doctor - picture inside - need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waiting to see doctor - picture inside - need advice!

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend hurt her ankle at hockey on Thursday. She instantly thought she broke it. We went straight to the hospital and they xray it. They said its not broken and is probably sprained and booked her another xray 5 days later to let the swelling go down.

We just realized she can wiggle her toes but cannot curl them. by curl this is what I mean:
    http://content.revolutionhealth.com/...s/nr551467.jpg

If I use my fingers to try and manually make her toes curl, they are stiff as hell, won't move, and it hurts her to try and move them.

Anyone have any advice what we should do? Any ideas on whats going on with the toe mobility?

ptaron? scott? anyone who has had the same issue?

I don't have much advice, other than ice. But pretty cool your girl plays hockey.
    2005 HOA Natural Classic
    2006 OCB Midwest
    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
    2008 HOA Natural Classic
    NPC Mid-Illinois
    NPC Midwest Open
    NPC Natural Grand Prix
    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
    USPA Illinois State
    NGA Heart of America
    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Syss,

while I'm not a doctor but I'm a paramedic I have a couple questions. Can she feel you trying to touch/curl her toes? Is there any bruising or discoloration? Try and feel for a pedal pulse (look up google for anatomy) Do not I repeat do not let her try and put pressure on it until you get a MRI.

What exactly happened?
      How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

She needs to do more glute bridges...

Seriously though, as long as she has sensation and circulation it is most likely nothing very serious. The lack of ability to curl her toes is probably from a hesitance due to sensitivity/pain in the area. Big difference between losing function and not being able to due something due to too much pain.

As the other guys said, keep her off it, ice, rest, get it re checked. Sprains can suck and really hurt.
        Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

double post...
          Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

oh she hammers the glute bridges!

It is super bruised all over her foot now and she still can't put any pressure on it. Her foot and ankle is SO SWOLLEN. She also can't bend the toes and her foot feels "numb". she said she can feel me touch it, but it still feels "numb" on the bottom of her foot.

when I try and bend her toes they don't budge, they are stiff as a rock almost like she is flexing really hard to make them not bend, but she isn't.

when she goes back on wednesday and the new xray shows a break, what will they even do that they didn't do on thursday?

Assuming there is no break and only some tendon tears, how will she know if shes needs surgery or any other methods of recovery?

she has made zero progress in pain / swelling / movement since it happened. the only thing that has changed is it is getting more black and blue.

she hasn't put an ounce of pressure on it since it happened and has been RICE'ing it for 3 days. actually I guess she put pressure on it to see if she could lol. but other then that, nothing!

another weird thing to note, is that the majority of the pain is on the inside of the ankle, not the outside swollen part that is show in the picture. The inside is slightly swollen as well, but not as bad as the outside. I wonder why the pain is inside rather than out?
            Last edited by syssstem; 01-15-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

It very well could be a severe sprain, or even a tear. Only way to make sure nothing is torn though is a scan (MRI, CT, etc) if it's something small. I have played hockey all my life up until I started bodybuilding...my ankles have been through a lot, and so has the ankles of a bunch of close friends. Rest, ICE, compression, elevation. Ice twenty mins on, twenty off. Do that as much as possible...anti-inflamatories help too. But she needs to stay off that, cuz that' looks like some major edema. Can she get some crutches?

If the swelling persists, or it becomes discolored, or overall gets worse within 2-3 days then I would go call the doc up for a scan script. I hate dealing with doctors, and it might be somehting that just needs rest and for the swelling to go down (like a sprain). As long as she can feel everything I wouldn't be worried too much and it will likely start to go down soon. But get it looked at if it stays, or worsens. I never went in for a scan one time and found I had broken growth plates in my foot that never healed and several unhealed fractures just from playing from the time I was little all through high school. That and football...

Just my experience, though. I'm a bit of a hard head when it comes to injuries...hate hospitals, doctors, etc. :noidea:

EDIT: Saw you said it's been three days. I would talk to the doc about getting the go ahead for an MRI, or at least an opinion from a PT.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
              -1st SuperHeavy Gi
              2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
              -1st Heavyweight Gi
              2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
              2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

My brother had sprained his ankle a few times playing basketball, and his docs told him that some sprains are way worse than some breaks. Everytime he rolled it we would all swear that it was broken. Damn that thing would swell up and turn purple and blue. It was nasty....never broken though, always sprained.....it was a good 3 months or so each time before he could do much.....good luck with it.....
                STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

When you go back in to recheck the x rays and the swelling goes down the doc should be able to joint play tests to determine if the ligaments are intact. MRI should hopefully not be necessary.
                  "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

The fact that her toes feel "rigid", if you truly mean rigid would worry me and I would defiantly let a MD know about that pronto. If her swelling has not gone done at all after this long and she is loosing sensation there is a good chance she could be experiencing some compartment syndrome. The only way she will know if surgery is required is by a MRI. Again DO NOT put pressure on it!
                    How long can you go without believing in YOURSELF, before you are officially dead!

This isn't "Tea-Time Relaxy-Muscle", this is INTENSE Muscle. Bring something to the table or don't fucking show up. - Sammich

Comment

Originally posted by syssstem View Post

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend hurt her ankle at hockey on Thursday. She instantly thought she broke it. We went straight to the hospital and they xray it. They said its not broken and is probably sprained and booked her another xray 5 days later to let the swelling go down.

We just realized she can wiggle her toes but cannot curl them. by curl this is what I mean:
                      http://content.revolutionhealth.com/...s/nr551467.jpg

If I use my fingers to try and manually make her toes curl, they are stiff as hell, won't move, and it hurts her to try and move them.

Anyone have any advice what we should do? Any ideas on whats going on with the toe mobility?

ptaron? scott? anyone who has had the same issue?
                      What were you told at the emergency room?...

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                        What were you told at the emergency room?...

-S
                        the doctor said, "well I think you hurt your ankle. I can't see a break in the xray, but you need to come back in a few days to get another one when swelling goes down. I am concerned that both sides are swollen and the pain is on the less swollen side."

then he said, "would you like some pain killers?"

the pain is comparable to when it first happened when the pain killers wear off, and she has pretty much 0 ability to move it. If she concentrates hard she can wiggle her toes or move her foot an inch or two.

2nd xray is Wednesday, injury happned last thursday. is there anything else they will make her do beside RICE it 24/7?

how important is the 'C' (compress) component of RICE? she hasn't really been compressing it.

Comment

most likely a grade III ankle sprain. i had the same injury three years ago and it sucked.... although mine was dislocated, hers looks like a severe sprain... broken ankle> grade III ankle sprain... it took me 3 months to walk without a limp and i still have tightness and some impeded range of motion three years later.. granted i played football during those three years, but regardless, she should get an mri, not an x ray... an mri will help determine the severity of the damage to the surrounding ligaments and indicate whether or not there is a tear..

when i dislocated my ankle, that bitch bruised up black upto mid calf and was purple and red upto my ankle... was the most disgusting thing i've ever seen.. best wishes to your girlfriend for a speedy and complete recovery
                          my little journal

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Comment

what do you guys think the chances are that the doctor will take the 2nd xray, say its not broken, and to stay off it while RICE'ing it, WITHOUT taking an MRI?

if this happens, should we request an MRI just to figure out what kind of soft tissue damage has been done?

it has been 4 days now and the swelling isn't any better. She also still can't really move it, and can't put an ounce of pressure on it. it is pretty much limp and useless.

Comment

get the mri homie... swelling like that is a dead giveaway of a severe sprain/possible tear...
                              my little journal

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Comment

Working...
                              X