Training tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training tip

I thought I'd share a bicep routine that I like a lot. It is a progressive 3 workout plan. Before we get started I want to mention of few things. First do this at your own discretion. 2nd you should at least be an intermediate trainer if you try this. The point being is you should know your body and know the difference between pushing things hard and tearing a muscle. I have used this routine successfully as a part of a 3 day split where I trained every other day. So doing this every 5 days would be feasible. Here's how it will look. Please don't disregard this because of the low volume.

Workout 1
    BB Curls 2 sets of 10 (complete each rep by curling the weight up in explosively, then hold the weight in the contracted position for 5 seconds. No cheating! I want you to hold it in the contracted position. I want all of the tension on your bicep. Hold it there for the full 5 seconds, then lower it in 5. As soon as you reach bottom curl the weight up. No pausing at the bottom. I want the tension on the biceps the full 5 seconds. I want 10 good reps, but go to positive failure. Rest about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, stretch and massage the muscle cause its going to hurt.

Workout 2
    This time I want you to do the same thing, but when you reach positive failure put the weight down take about 5 deep breaths and repeat. You should be able to get 3-5 reps, but they are going to suck. Take another 5 deep breaths, and repeat one last time. You may not think anything could hurt worse than this. You are wrong...

Workout 3
    This is the workout where you are going to go all out. Instead of holding the weight for 5 seconds I want 5 pulse reps in the contracted position. This is a 1 inch to 1/2 inch movement where you contract the bicep fully five times. Don't slack on this and just move the weight. I really want you to contract. You may even have a tear in your eye from the pain, but stick with it. Then lower the weight in 5 seconds just like before. Repeat with 2 rest pauses like in workout 2.

Workout 4
    You have a few options. You could repeat the cycle, but increase the weight 5% or you could go back to your normal routine. Regardless this routine will give your biceps a jolt and you might just see a little extra growth.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

is this one day or or 3 days? thanks
    site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

You do one workout for one day. This is how I did it.

Sunday Chest/Triceps
      Monday Off
      Tuesday Back/Bicep workout #1
      Wednesday Off
      Thursday Legs
      Friday off
      Saturday Repeat cycle, but the next time you hit biceps it will be workout #2. Workout #3 will be follow when you repeat the cycle the third time.
      Last edited by Doberman; 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM.

Truenutrition.com
      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

ty sir im kinda retarded at times. =0)
        site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

Originally posted by exmgq View Post
          ty sir im kinda retarded at times. =0)
          me 2...lol

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Any guidance on what to use for weight? One certainly wouldn't be able to use what they typically would be able to use for a set of 10. Maybe 80% of that weight?

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
            2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
            2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
            2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
            2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Thanks for sharing Doberman.
              2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

When I used dumbells to do this I started with 20's and worked up to 35's. When I use dumbells, I will do alternating curls. So While I'm holding one arm in the contracted position for 5 seconds the other arm is lowering in 5 and then coming up.

Your best bet is to get your workout weight and use about 40%-50%. For instance I use 115 for my work set of curls normally, but with this I would probably start with 45 to be safe. I think I worked up to 65-75 on these, but boy did it hurt. You might actually need 4 weeks so that you can use the first week to find the correct weight.

I also like to use cables or machines for this since they work so well to maintain constant tension. The only problem is that you need to be careful. With some machines it seems like the weight feels lighter in the contracted position so you need to be aware of that so you place the arm in the best possible position to keep the tension on the bicep. This can be hard, because your natural tendency will be to make things easier. With this technique you want to make things harder.

Truenutrition.com
                Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
                X