Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

medium chain triglycerides

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • medium chain triglycerides

    Below article discusses human and animal studies. Basically it says that MCTs are utilized differently than LCT (long chain), useful in increasing energy expenditure, the level of energy expenditure is substantially greater in males than females when taking MCTs, MCTs are metabolized much quicker than LCTs and much less is stored as fat and can be used as an energy source when on low carb diets. There was another article that I read that discussed Keto diets and MCT use, and how MCTs help facilitate the conversion to ketogenesis even in the presence of higher carb intake. I'll see if I can find that one again and post it.

    I am wondering if anyone has any experience using medium chain triglycerides, either the MCT powder from TrueNutrition or from natural sources such as coconut oil? Anyone currently utilize in their diet?


    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.long

    :hungry:
    The want creates the will.

  • #2
    John Meadows is one of our round table experts. He has a vast knowledge in this area.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

    Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Doberman View Post
      John Meadows is one of our round table experts. He has a vast knowledge in this area.
      haha..just call me Johnny coconut oil.

      I do LOVE organic coconut oil. I have wrote a ton about it. In terms of energy, your liver basically turns MCT's into energy without even requiring bile salts to break it down. There are TONS of good things about it. I use all the way up to a contest, and have everybody else use it too.
      John Meadows
      CSCS, CISSN
      Creator of the Mountain Dog Diet
      www.mountaindogdiet.com

      Comment


      • #4
        I use coconut oil all the time, and also coconut flakes.

        Comment


        • #5
          fuck me in the ass and spit in my face, I'm an idiot
          Last edited by Macho Man; 01-06-2012, 11:44 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mountaindog1 View Post
            haha..just call me Johnny coconut oil.

            I do LOVE organic coconut oil. I have wrote a ton about it. In terms of energy, your liver basically turns MCT's into energy without even requiring bile salts to break it down. There are TONS of good things about it. I use all the way up to a contest, and have everybody else use it too.
            Thanks for the response John. Any particular type/brand you recommend?
            The want creates the will.

            Comment


            • #7
              Virgin Coconut Oil was like a magic potion for me. I like the taste too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FoodPumps View Post
                Thanks for the response John. Any particular type/brand you recommend?
                Just make sure it's not refined. I'm about to order this big boy:

                http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Ext...t-Oil-54-fl-oz

                Comment


                • #9
                  I use Swanson's brand:

                  http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWF035/ItemDetail

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                    Virgin Coconut Oil was like a magic potion for me. I like the taste too.
                    How so? Difference in body composition, energy levels?
                    The want creates the will.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                      Just make sure it's not refined. I'm about to order this big boy:

                      http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Ext...t-Oil-54-fl-oz
                      Yes, exactly - no refined or hydrogenated crap. I like Spectrum, Nutiva, Vitamin World, and Puritan Pride.

                      JM
                      John Meadows
                      CSCS, CISSN
                      Creator of the Mountain Dog Diet
                      www.mountaindogdiet.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How much do you typically consume daily John? How much of your fat comes from EVCO?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                          Just make sure it's not refined. I'm about to order this big boy:

                          http://www.vitacost.com/Vitacost-Ext...t-Oil-54-fl-oz
                          Thanks for the link. I just ordered this. FYI Amazon sells it cheaper by about $4.
                          The want creates the will.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FoodPumps View Post
                            Thanks for the link. I just ordered this. FYI Amazon sells it cheaper by about $4.
                            Cheers! Seems like their Amazon shop is much cheaper, gonna go with that one.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Imprezivr6 View Post
                              How much do you typically consume daily John? How much of your fat comes from EVCO?
                              1 tablespoon off season - more pre-contest..
                              John Meadows
                              CSCS, CISSN
                              Creator of the Mountain Dog Diet
                              www.mountaindogdiet.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X