Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Back Imbalance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Severe Back Imbalance

    So... for the past 5-6 moths I've always felt the right side of my back was getting more stimuli during back sessions than the the left side. The right side would always be feel more sore, more pumped... more trained... than the other one.

    My dim witted friends would always tell me they could see no difference and that I was imagining things. So I would just forget about it and keep on training normally. So come today, my girlfriends comes to visit me and the first thing she says after I step out of the shower it that my right lat is more flared than the left lat and my shoulders are out of line. I asked her to snap a pic, and... well, there it is, a big imbalance between the lats and one shoulder lower than the other one.


    I don't have a clue on how to fix these problems or what could be the cause. I've never had any postural problem that could explain this or anything related, the only thing I can say for sure is that I always felt more MMC with my right lat when training back.

    So, a call for help here, what do I do now ?
    Attached Files
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

    "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

    “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

    The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

  • #2
    Highlighted the lat imbalance since the picture is really out of focus
    Attached Files
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

    "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

    “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

    The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

    Comment


    • #3
      Do you compete or plan on competing in bodybuilding? Really not that big a deal IMO. If it bothers you try doing unilateral work for the weak side to give it some extra work/stretchs. I have one lat bigger then the other to.
      2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
      2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
      2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
      2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
      2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
      2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
      *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
      88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
      88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        Seems your left side is higher than your right. I have the same issue.
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

        - Success is the best revenge

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for answering guys.

          Originally posted by CJ Hartley View Post
          Do you compete or plan on competing in bodybuilding? Really not that big a deal IMO. If it bothers you try doing unilateral work for the weak side to give it some extra work/stretchs. I have one lat bigger then the other to.
          I do plan to compete eventually, I was giving the unilateral work idea some thought, but I'm not sure how I'd go about setting reps and sets since I never dealt with imbalances before. Not sure if I should add extra sets to the weak side to establish a better mmc or just do the same ammount sets for both sides and let the problem be solved by allowing each side to do individual work.


          Back has been a troublesome area lately, good way to get motivated and train it harder.
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

          "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

          “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

          The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
            I've always felt the right side of my back was getting more stimuli during back sessions than the the left side. The right side would always be feel more sore, more pumped... more trained... than the other one.
            I have this problem as well. Unfortunately for me, it's because I am very right side dominant. No matter how hard I concentrate, my right side will take over regardless of the exercise.

            Originally posted by CJ Hartley View Post
            If it bothers you try doing unilateral work for the weak side to give it some extra work/stretchs.
            That's what I have to do. Many of my exercise are unilateral. We will finally be getting Hammerstrength machines at my gym and I'm looking forward to more unilateral options
            ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

            Comment


            • #7
              How is your shoulder joint mobility?
              I have a similar issue when trying to flare my lats because on shoulder joint is tighter... So when I try to flare out my shoulder blade pops out a little on the tight side making the lat flare less and look smaller.
              If I do stretching into internal rotation and some joint mobs I can make things look equal.

              TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

              Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

              Comment


              • #8
                now this is just me my opion but what i would try is

                At the end of every back workout...do 3 kinda hvy iso sets of either hammer iso row machine on that weak side or one arm dumbell rows on that weak side for 8-12 reps. Do this for about 2 months see what happens and strecth the hell out of your lats at end of workout
                If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

                I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
                :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
                Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Saw a prominent doctor/specialist for my shoulder imbalance and was told it may be nerve damage.

                  I decided instead to work with my chiro/ART doc. And see if over time we can make some improvements.
                  SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

                  - Success is the best revenge

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You're holding your right arm farther away from your body than your left. Notice the gap between the right arm and your body and the lack of a gap on the left. Hold yourself symmetrically and then get another picture.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks everyone for answering. I've come up with a few ideas on implementing more unilateral stuff on my training, a lot of which I took from John Meadows youtube channel.


                      Originally posted by PTAaron View Post
                      How is your shoulder joint mobility?
                      I have a similar issue when trying to flare my lats because on shoulder joint is tighter... So when I try to flare out my shoulder blade pops out a little on the tight side making the lat flare less and look smaller.
                      If I do stretching into internal rotation and some joint mobs I can make things look equal.
                      My shoulder mobility never gave me much problem, so I wage it's pretty good. I've injuried both shoulders doing declines in the beginning of the year, I can't tell the exact nature of those injuries since i never checked it out, but even after I was properly healed my shoulder mobility stayed the same, still able to do full rom BTN presses ( which I don't do ) and everything I did before.

                      I'm looking up into stretches but I think i'd need to see a chiro to see what I could/could not do.

                      Originally posted by lurkmore View Post
                      You're holding your right arm farther away from your body than your left. Notice the gap between the right arm and your body and the lack of a gap on the left. Hold yourself symmetrically and then get another picture.

                      Will do. I'll post those... tomorrow after cardio, cause I'm afraid New Year's feast will get me a bit too bloated to tell the imbalances lol
                      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

                      "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

                      “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

                      The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Your shoulder looks dropped lower/forward.I have a similar problem...Laxity of the shoulder capsule.I do rotator cuff and scapula retraction exercises 3 x per week and it has helped a great deal....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Maxxmuscle: Laxity of the shoulder capsule will not make your shoulder/scapula look lower on one side vs the other. It might make your shoulder dislocate (humerus from scapula) but it has no bearing on the position of the scapula on the back.

                          Delta: post a relaxed picture with your arms hanging at your side - a real relaxed pic, not a bodybuilder "I'm only lightly tensing everything so I still look big" relaxed picture. I'm not really talking about muscle tightness - you could have joint capsule tightness that causes you to compensate to get into certain positions... like the lat spread position - tightness in the joint will pull your scapula out away from your back making it hard to flare that side, giving the impression that it is less developed and making your shoulder look "pulled forward" on that side.
                          This stretch is an example of one that would be difficult for you and that you should do if that is what your problem is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFRTrywbW4
                          Last edited by PTAaron; 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM.

                          TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

                          Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PTAaron View Post
                            Maxxmuscle: Laxity of the shoulder capsule will not make your shoulder/scapula look lower on one side vs the other. It might make your shoulder dislocate (humerus from scapula) but it has no bearing on the position of the scapula on the back.

                            Delta: post a relaxed picture with your arms hanging at your side - a real relaxed pic, not a bodybuilder "I'm only lightly tensing everything so I still look big" relaxed picture. I'm not really talking about muscle tightness - you could have joint capsule tightness that causes you to compensate to get into certain positions... like the lat spread position - tightness in the joint will pull your scapula out away from your back making it hard to flare that side, giving the impression that it is less developed and making your shoulder look "pulled forward" on that side.
                            This stretch is an example of one that would be difficult for you and that you should do if that is what your problem is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiFRTrywbW4
                            Here it is man, sorry for the bad quality, I had nothing but my phone camera. Let me know if the quality is too low to tell anything in the pic.

                            I tried the sleeper stretch, I can't say I noticed I had any trouble with it, both my arms went about a thumb's length from the floor before I felt the stretch. I'm not sure I'm getting into position right so I'll be playing with it before I can say for sure if it's easy or not for me.
                            Attached Files
                            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

                            "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

                            “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

                            The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It could also be possibly related to a hip misalignment, having 1 leg longer than the other. Most people if not all have 1 leg longer than the other which can cause misalignment such as a shoulder being higher than the other. This might be feeding into one side of your back getting more stimuli than the other when you dead.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X