Where to buy equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy equipment?

What's up IMers? I am in the very early stages of developing a business plan to open a warehouse gym. My main focus will be athletic develpment for middle school and high school athletes. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to purchase equipment that would be great. I like elitefts merch. but havent looked into much else yet.

Ideal location would be 3-6k square feet with room for speed and agility. As far as equipment goes, I don't want any of the fluff. No cardio machines and very little if any circuit training machines. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Strength and Power Inc.

Best stuff around and Scott will custom make it anyway you want. Best pricing I could find as well. Look him up on face book under Strength and Power Inc or his name Scott Prosek.

He has a subforum at IronAddicts and Bohica over there had his whole gym done by Scott. I only had my garage gym done but can attest to the quality of the equipment and service.

FYI his pricing is about half that of EFS...
    Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Even if you don't have cardio machines you may want a few prowlers, especially for football players and wrestlers. My gym owner swears by Body Solid 45lb plates, but I will tell you to stay away from them as while they were affordable, they vary from slightly off to one plate I weighed in at 41lbs...

Also if you contact a manufacturer directly (I.E. Hammer Strength or LifeFitness) and offer to stock with only the equipment they offer (HS has not only machines but also benches etc.) and put up banners on the gym walls etc. etc. you can see about getting a "sponsorship" for your gym.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely be including some prowlers and sleds for conditioning. I will be checking out strength an power inc too.

Comment

Originally posted by loch_ness6 View Post
          What's up IMers? I am in the very early stages of developing a business plan to open a warehouse gym. My main focus will be athletic develpment for middle school and high school athletes. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to purchase equipment that would be great. I like elitefts merch. but havent looked into much else yet.

Ideal location would be 3-6k square feet with room for speed and agility. As far as equipment goes, I don't want any of the fluff. No cardio machines and very little if any circuit training machines. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
          Really, it is going to come down to how much you can invest as well as the clientele you are targeting. Seriously, if you want most pro athletes or people who have executive type salaries, you better either have a well known reputation or the best equipment. If you are going to be dealing with mainly high school/college athletes, blue collar/non-exec white collar then you can get away with quality equipment which is not the well known and often times used.

Adam is spot on with S&P. His equipment is top-notch.

A few more questions:
          1. Have you thought about layout?
          2. What type of equipment are you into? Are you a minimalist or do you prefer to work with equipment.

Also, do not discount the type of equipment you can make yourself as well. I would also reccommend you to do some research on other people who walked this path before (Joe Defranco, Zac Even-Esh are a couple which come to mind really quickly).

3. Do you have the population in the area to support this endeavor?
          4. What is your business/marketing plan?
          5. Who is your competition?

I have a few links on my computer at home regarding those who have blogged about this before. If I can remember to post those up later I will.
          FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
          If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

All great questions. Thanks for asking. I have been researching all of the different gyms out there that I would like to emulate. Defranco's gym is definitely one the fits my vision. I am thinking something very similar to his newest gym just smaller in scale.

As far as potential clientele and my marketing strategy, I have made some amazing connections as a trainer. Many are with the area high school coaches. I have the support of all of them. The only gyms besides the local big box gyms are crossfits. There is one large sports specific training facility but it is on the expensive side and a little to pretty.

Those links would be awesome to see once you get the chance to post them.
            Last edited by loch_ness6; 12-21-2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Ok, here you go...

Blogs/Facilities (I guess you probably already have Defranco's site)
              http://www.tssathletics.com/

http://www.fittwarehouse.com/

Various sources

www.snpequipment.com

www.ironmind.com

www.quest-nutrition.com/

www.liftinglarge.com/

Buried in some of the above sites are information on projects like building platforms, dip stand, etc...
              FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
              If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Working...
              X