Getting in the groove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in the groove

I'm just kinda curious how alot of you deal with adversity regarding your fitness goals, namely training. This year, while being somewhat productive for me, has seen me tip toeing around nagging injuries and dealing with time constraints that have had me very frustrated at times....it seems that for the past 2 months or so, as my time has gotten a bit more free, my drive has gone down the toilet. Yes, I have been nursing a groin injury since January. Yes, I have been nursing an elbow joint soreness for a few months. Yes, my SI Joint has been bothering me more than usual, and yes, just recently I was sick as a dog for the better part of 9-10 days.....HOWEVER....I have never (since I've been back) had issues with getting consistent and working thru the adversity like I have lately. I feel lazy and I need to get refocused ASAP....I usually train 3 days a week and I don't think I've managed a full week in about 3 months, and it's not a diet issue, only training....I'm actually holding my weight and strength well and wouldn't be surprised if I've grown a bit due to all the rest and recovery I've had, but I need to focus on my plan and follow thru....anyone have any advice for this seemingly lazy old guy? Lol
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Can't comment of the adversity, cause it been a great year training wise.( I think work wise you and I are in a similar boat.) (Self + emplyee status)
    No injuries, numbers going up, diet in check, stopping my blasts proactively before my body tells me too..
    As far as advice...just make the decision to get your ass in gear and start hitting it the way you know you can/should. Also think about how good you feel after you've accomplished your workout goals.
    Or you could think about some old guy 13 years your senior getting in the gym and kicking ass and taking care of business before the rest of the world even wakes up...The key is just start up again..
    Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

This may seem like counter-intuitive advice, but maybe you should take some time off. Kind of like an absence makes the heart grow fonder thing. Maybe try taking a couple weeks off. It'll allow you to actually miss training, and give you time to focus on some goals. It sounds like your body could use a break anways.
      It takes work to get things done, but in reality not getting things done is a lot more painful. -Knickerbocker24

Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit. -Jim Wendler

My 5/3/1 Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
        Can't comment of the adversity, cause it been a great year training wise.( I think work wise you and I are in a similar boat.) (Self + emplyee status)
        No injuries, numbers going up, diet in check, stopping my blasts proactively before my body tells me too..
        As far as advice...just make the decision to get your ass in gear and start hitting it the way you know you can/should. Also think about how good you feel after you've accomplished your workout goals.
        Or you could think about some old guy 13 years your senior getting in the gym and kicking ass and taking care of business before the rest of the world even wakes up...The key is just start up again..
        Lol....yeah, you getting shit done before I'm even awake should def motivate me....my year has been productive as well, just not the past few months. I think I need to set a goal of some sort.....summer show maybe??? We will see...
        STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Grant View Post
          This may seem like counter-intuitive advice, but maybe you should take some time off. Kind of like an absence makes the heart grow fonder thing. Maybe try taking a couple weeks off. It'll allow you to actually miss training, and give you time to focus on some goals. It sounds like your body could use a break anways.
          I have actually done this with the time off, and I do want to get in there. Body seems to be mending well, I think it's just a combo of age and being somewhat rundown....as far as focusing on a goal, I believe you are right. I seem to focus much better while dieting than offseason. I may need to challenge myself to get lean soon and go from there....
          STEEL

Comment

Do you not go because of pain in the gym (from injury)?

Maybe you just aren't as interested in training as you used to be...there is nothing wrong with that at all if that is the case. I assume 1970 is your year of birth, so you have been going at it quite a while then. Maybe just get on a routine that is 1-2 days a week and not balls to the wall like you are used to...let all the injuries heal 100% percent, then if you get that urge again to train hard, run with it.

Comment

I wish I had good advice for you. But in fact I would like to hear the opinions of guys like Heck as well. There has been 3 separate instances in life in the last 4 years that have knocked me for a loop enough to screw up my training badly. Now I know everyone has tough times in life at one point or another. But I have let things that were perhaps not so serious blow way up and effect me badly. I attribute it mostly to PTSD which I admittedly am very fortunate to not have a lot worse like a lot of guys. But there has got to be ways to better "weather the storm" because I have no doubt had I not lost so much during those periods and had to battle back that I would be much, much bigger and stronger.

I just realized what I am referring to and what you are talking about is not really the same thing lol. But when I get knocked for a loop I get the "lazy/screw it" attitude and feel sorry for myself so it's kind of the same.
              Journal http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=51093

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                Do you not go because of pain in the gym (from injury)?

Maybe you just aren't as interested in training as you used to be...there is nothing wrong with that at all if that is the case. I assume 1970 is your year of birth, so you have been going at it quite a while then. Maybe just get on a routine that is 1-2 days a week and not balls to the wall like you are used to...let all the injuries heal 100% percent, then if you get that urge again to train hard, run with it.
                I like this...sounds sensible.
                SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I realize I am a young buck, so I won't take it personally if my advice is blown off, but here it is.......

Why do you go to the gym? You need to very clearly identify exactly what your goal is (i.e. general health, a look, specific numbers). Once you have that figured out then you have to lay out exactly what it takes to get there. Then, you either do it, or you don't. Don't make it into a problem, don't let it cause you anxiety. That is the exact opposite effect the gym should be having on you.

If you choose to go, then great, you are one step closer to that goal. If not, then simply accept that in that moment it is not that terribly important to you, and move on with your day. Focus your energy on other parts of your life. Later, possibly reevaluate whether or not that goal is really that important to you, our why you decided not to go, and change your game plan accordingly.

Too many people, myself included, make consistency in the gym a problem. They turn motivation into an element that must be found to achieve results instead of identifying it as an inherent characteristic of execution.
                  2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Working...
                  X