Define "pro bodybuilder" please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Define "pro bodybuilder" please

Look, I am going to go out of my way to be very clear that I have MAD respect for natural bodybuilders and natural pro bodybuilders. If you can get to the level of being a natural pro bodybuilder, that is damn impressive. So, PLEASE don't anyone think that this question or this thread is in any way disrespecting natural pros because it is not.

The point of this thread is because I don't feel that a natural pro should be referred to as a "pro bodybuilder". I think they should be referred to as a "natural pro bodybuilder". Layne Norton does this when he posts his creds and I think that is accurate and I respect that about him (among other things that I respect about him).

I think that when people say "pro bodybuilder" it is assumed that it is the big dog and they are referring to what we all know as an IFBB Pro. To not use the word "natural" in MY opinion, is misleading.

Example: There were a couple natural "pro qualifier" shows this weekend and there was also the Nationals in Miami. I have seen reference made to so and so "getting their pro card" in Miami and then others "getting their pro card" but not mentioning that it is a natural pro card for an entirely different federation than the IFBB. If I am being honest, I find it PURPOSELY misleading.

I am asking you all how you feel about this. If someone is "going for their pro card" I feel that if it isn't the big dog that we all know as a "pro card" then it should be noted that it is a NATURAL pro card and/or the federation that affiliated with that pro card. No? Thoughts? If I am wrong, say so.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

A pro bb is an Ifbb pro.
    this is what any one thinks when he hears the title pro.
    "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
    J.M.

Comment

Depends...

If the guy making the statement was talking with regular people (regular in the sense that they aren't bodybuilders or aren't familiar with bodybuilding) then he's passing himself off as something he's not and he knows it; misleading. I also get this image of a shit-eating grin, smug face as he says it, haha.

If the guy making the statement was amongst bodybuilders, then in context I don't think he was being misleading. If they were fellow natural bodybuilders they would know it's for a natty pro card because he's probably a familiar face. If they were ifbb pro bodybuilders they would know it's for a natty pro card because he's probably a lot smaller than them :peace:
      Last edited by theroymccoy; 11-20-2011, 06:40 AM.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
        If the guy making the statement was talking with regular people (regular in the sense that they aren't bodybuilders or aren't familiar with bodybuilding) then he's passing himself off as something he's not and he knows it; misleading. I also get this image of a shit-eating grin, smug face as he says it, haha.
        You can imagine that happening with the PL gear, too. (not mentioning the shirt takes their bench from 300 to 500 when talking with people who don't know the ins and outs) Then again, those regular people are probably just going to think these people are idiots anyway for talking about themselves so much, then forget about them 5 minutes later, so who cares?
        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

I agree, but upon one quick glance you know what kind of pro they are

Comment

I have a lot of people here in my town who think they are hot shit because they are now WBFF Pros. To be a WBFF pro you only have to win one show.

Compare that to IFBB where you have to beat everyone else who has placed 1st or second in a show across the rest of the USA and it shows a little difference in easy it is to turn pro in some of the other divisions.

On the other hand, there is a girl who turned Fitness Pro at Team Universe this last year that only had to do two shows before that one to win her IFBB Pro card.. She actually deserves the title.
            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
            www.316fit.com
            Email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
              Depends...

If the guy making the statement was amongst bodybuilders, then in context I don't think he was being misleading. If they were fellow natural bodybuilders they would know it's for a natty pro card because he's probably a familiar face. If they were ifbb pro bodybuilders they would know it's for a natty pro card because he's probably a lot smaller than them :peace:
              I would agree with this. A "pro bodybuilder" is a IFBB pro bodybuilder in my mind. I have friends that are natural pros - and I refer to them as "natural pro bodybuilders"... because that is what they are, no disrespect.

Kind of like a "pro hockey player" is a NHL player, and a "pro football player" is in the NFL - and that is what people assume when they hear it.

The title "Natural Pro" is still saying you are the elite of your group, and deserves respect...

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as Fade. There are so many different organizations/federations out there it can get confusing as to which one should be the spotlight of the "pro" status. This I think goes back to what Skip and theroy were saying when comparing one "pro" to another and the bodybuilding community itself. Those within the community know what you most likely mean when you say pro, but for those outside, when you say pro, they can be in awe, "Wow, a pro!?".

It is indeed misleading. I don't take away from anyone's accomplishments, as they both take hard work, dedication, etc., but there seems that there should be a distinction between them, but as long as there are so many different feds, I don't see it happening.

MT

Comment

I agree, there are 2 Natural "Pro Bodybuilders" at my gym and they refer to and prefer to refer to themselves as "Natural Pro Bodybuilders" I personally don't care if the are talking to Joe Blow in the gym because they don't have a freaking clue anyway, unless they say, like Arnold? Then they should distinguish themselves but no one wants to explain it constantly
                  For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I don't think its the talking to people "in person" part that's misleading regardless of who they are talking to.... You can see their physique so THAT is not misleading... The misleading part is in print and on the web. If they are selling programs, using their "pro status" in their bio to do contest prep on line, train people online, etc... Then that is misleading.

Kinda like when Roberts was claiming he was an athlete at a division 1 school.... Yea he was.... He played intermural rugby.
                    Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                    Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                    Nicki Minaj

Comment

Bingo, Dunhill. My point, exactly.

Skip

Sent from my Samsung Epic while riding my Harley

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I love hearing people say they are semi-pro (insert sport here). Is there even a real thing as semi-pro? Drives me nutz.....i do have a semi-pro hockey game tonight though...lol
                        2005 HOA Natural Classic
                        2006 OCB Midwest
                        2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                        2008 HOA Natural Classic
                        NPC Mid-Illinois
                        NPC Midwest Open
                        NPC Natural Grand Prix
                        2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                        USPA Illinois State
                        NGA Heart of America
                        NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

At least semi-pro is being honest because I know in baseball, you are considered a pro baseball player if you are signed to the minor leagues. Now, I would expect someone to be in the majors if they say they are a pro baseball player but ... I guess that is why if someone says they are "semi-pro" that is at least being honest. I am speaking for baseball only, though, as I don't know the structure of other sports professional structure.

Skip

Comment

I call minor league guys pro since they are 1) getting paid and 2) can be called up to the bigs at any time. I just have a few acquaintances who play in a football league and call themselves semi-pro, and are serious....they don't get paid, actually pay to play. Like a sunday night mens league.
                            2005 HOA Natural Classic
                            2006 OCB Midwest
                            2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                            2008 HOA Natural Classic
                            NPC Mid-Illinois
                            NPC Midwest Open
                            NPC Natural Grand Prix
                            2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                            USPA Illinois State
                            NGA Heart of America
                            NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

a lot of semi pro football players i know have never played football before... they just do it because they missed out on it in highschool and whatnot... although there are some serious semi pro leagues out there with former DI players looking to make it into the pros...
                              my little journal

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Comment

Working...
                              X