spasm in low back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spasm in low back

Yesterday I was doing my whole body workout, and I just felt great and extremely motivated to train. And just near the end of the workout it was time for barbell shrugs. I loaded the bar to 400 lbs and planned to do high reps... and on the last rep I felt something like a twitch in the left part of my lower back, very painful, and I just returned the weight to the pins.

It felt like an ordinary muscle pull, nothing to worry about. Doesn't hurt while I move or anything...

But on the next day I started getting awful muscle spasms in that place, and that's while doin' nothing, like sitting on a chair, or lying in bed...

The muscles just cramp-up increadibley hard, like a vice, for a few seconds, and slowly release, involantary...

Cramps so hard, I laugh in pain...

WFT is this? Anyone had this?

Sorry to hear about your injury. I think my first question would be how was your hydration before training, during training, and now after the incident?

Hope it gets back to normal quickly for you

Comment

Could be a ton of different things. Nerve impingment, tear somewhere, severe strain, slipped disc...list goes on.

If it is still bothering in 48hrs from when it started, I'd go see your doc, and they will probably give a script for some muscle relaxers if you are still spasming, and they will probably direct you to a PT and for some scans.. This is exactly how my last layoff started...had that same pain. Got MRI's and x rays done and turned out I was severely banged up and injured.

Don't mess around with your back...get it checked out. In the meantime, ice, ice, more ice, and some Ibuprofen to control swelling.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
      -1st SuperHeavy Gi
      2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
      -1st Heavyweight Gi
      2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
      2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
        Could be a ton of different things. Nerve impingment, tear somewhere, severe strain, slipped disc...list goes on.

If it is still bothering in 48hrs from when it started, I'd go see your doc, and they will probably give a script for some muscle relaxers if you are still spasming, and they will probably direct you to a PT and for some scans.. This is exactly how my last layoff started...had that same pain. Got MRI's and x rays done and turned out I was severely banged up and injured.

Don't mess around with your back...get it checked out. In the meantime, ice, ice, more ice, and some Ibuprofen to control swelling.
        What Lock said and I have had a wonky back for a number of years and what always helps me is doing some soft tissue work (tennis ball) on those spinal erectors and then icing afterwards.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice.
          So far I'm aplying the ice packs, iboprofen, and my 4 year son is my massage therapeutist. His speciality: "the kidney punch" (Boy, that feels good!")

Comment

I deal with lower back issues-But it sounds like a bad strain over extended the facet joints maybe....as long as no leg pain numbness or burning in the legs, knees or ankles you are prob ok, just need to leave it alone for a few days
            If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
            :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
            Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Glad I came here today. I am having back issues as well. Mine sound similar to yours. I have a Dr appointment next Tuesday so we will see what happens. I am still not sure what I did or what caused it, but come to find out both my mom, uncle, and their dad have all had problems. They all have to same problem in the same spot too. Anyways good luck...
              "Only God can Judge me." -Tupac

My Journal- http://www.intensemuscle.com/38062-eye-tiger.html

Comment

Originally posted by ROB550 View Post
                ....as long as no leg pain numbness or burning in the legs, knees or ankles you are prob ok, just need to leave it alone for a few days
                No, fortunately no leg pain. Today I feel much better than yesterday, no more cramps or spasms, and the pain is subsiding. Considerably less than yesterday.
                I'm gonna wait till it heals completely before I hit the weights again...

Comment

Working...
                X