Push press on the power/v-squat machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push press on the power/v-squat machine

Anyone remember these? Seeing Flamez's ISOM entry reminded me of this video I saw years ago (I think it's BN, I also think he doesn't post anymore):

www.myspace.com/video/vid/42145624

He was insanely strong on them too. So what are people's opinions on these? How do they hit shoulders?
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

I've done those in the past, but not the way he does it, although his way looks awesome.

I did those with my feet on the ground, not on the plataform. The machine was kept in the "racked" position and pushed up from there with no leg drive. Brutal. If you keep your elbows a bit in during the movement, then you get a lot of triceps, elbows out, then it's shoulders. I always called those "Viking Presses' though. And it's pretty easy to get hit in the nuts by the metal arm thing under the carriage if you set up wrong doing it my way.
    "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I use machines like that for a seated OH press, sitting on a pad / plate / box (or nothing) depending on what's needed to get the starting (lowest) position right.

Load used on the standing push press will of course depend on height substantially, d/t angle about the pivot point.

-S
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

The machine I have at my gym was slightly different, so I had to stand on the floor, which made it awkward to get started, and kinda dangerous as you had to be under the load while you stepped of the pad to the floor.

After you get in position, your in for a treat though! lol. Killed my shoulders, but I found that as I went up in weight it was just too dangerous to keep going, so I had to shelve the ex. I wish we had the machine BN used, I loved that exercise!

I have a video up I will post it later, I think BN's is still up too. Can't post it from work though.
        Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook - Gollum
        BEAT YOUR FREAKING LOGBOOK! That's what you should be worrying about - DC

It has everything to do with what you put in your mouth. Stop putting unhealthy shit in your mouth - trucelt

Save 5% at TrueProtein.com - snc768

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
          Anyone remember these? Seeing Flamez's ISOM entry reminded me of this video I saw years ago (I think it's BN, I also think he doesn't post anymore):

www.myspace.com/video/vid/42145624

He was insanely strong on them too. So what are people's opinions on these? How do they hit shoulders?

Similar to my video too. Give a brother some credit...lol
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Damn Dober...just saw yours. Very similar to what you used, but yours seems like more of a Viking Press apparatus to be honest. Or is it a V-squat?

My gym has a machine similar to the one BN used but for some reason I doubt it'll work as well, I don't think it'll go high enough so I probably won't be able to lock it out properly.
            Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
              Damn Dober...just saw yours. Very similar to what you used, but yours seems like more of a Viking Press apparatus to be honest. Or is it a V-squat?

My gym has a machine similar to the one BN used but for some reason I doubt it'll work as well, I don't think it'll go high enough so I probably won't be able to lock it out properly.
              I used the body solid Squat machine. It's like the powetec squat machine, but it holds more weight and its better quality imo. In retrospect I should have gone heavier, but the purpose of the video was to really kill the shoulders and I wanted to show a few different techniques Slow negatives, rest pause, and push presses. Check out my rear lateral video on the Sinew Therapeutics Ad forum. These are done on my back day and are followed up with Upright rows. On chest day I do side laterals in the same fashion as this and then finished up with the Squat Machine shoulder workout to finish. It's not pleasant...not at all.
              1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
              2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
              2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
              2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
              2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
              2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
              Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Working...
              X