SHINGLES- A Post Contest Gift For Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHINGLES- A Post Contest Gift For Me

It seems this is a recurring theme around here.....I poured my heart and soul into my last contest. Dieted for 20 weeks. Sucked down to the top of the middles (176) and took second to a guy who was two pounds over.

For a week scubbed to get spray tan and pro tan combo off and the Saturday after my contest noticed a slight rash on my back. It started to spread to my right pec and figured it was an allergic reaction to the pro tan and overzealous scubbing. When it started to hurt and bascially look like nasty, blistery bubbles I went to the doctors. The diagnosis - shingles. I have shingles spreading from my right pec, under my right armpit (yeah, that one feels real good!), across my lat and up into my lower trap. I started on meds and feel better already.

Good times!
    2002 NGA South Jersey Novice Overall Winner
    2008 NPC Gold's Classic Novice MW Third
    2009 NPC Philly Classic Open MW 5th
    2010 NPC Atlantic City Bill Grant Classic Open MW 3rd
    2011 NPC Gold's Classic OPEN MW 2nd

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause."
    Teddy Roosevelt - 1910

I'm not sure what kind of gifts you used to, but....Seriously though I hope it clears up soon. Skip's story scares the crap out of me. Sounds like you caught it right in time and are doing good.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Even with the meds, I think it still runs its course. I waited well over a week to go in (very stupid on my part)and ended up with some slight nerve damage/numbness on my left pec...Definitely the most painful several weeks I've ever experienced..good for you for catching it early.
      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by Doberman View Post
        I'm not sure what kind of gifts you used to, but....Seriously though I hope it clears up soon. Skip's story scares the crap out of me. Sounds like you caught it right in time and are doing good.
        Thanks. Yeah, when they made the diagnosis it scared me. I had a friend who got it in his eye and almost lost his vision. Skip's story (thanks Skip!) got me in the doctor's office pretty quickly although I still wish I went immediately. What is weird are there are some places, like my mid back that I just want to foam roll the shit out of and there are other areas (my outer per and lat) that I am getting bolts of pain that literally take my breath away.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly...who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause."
        Teddy Roosevelt - 1910

Comment

Oh GAWD ... Sorry to hear this. The "bolts of pain" made me cringe. Hopefully, you got to it soon enough that the nerve damage isn't permanent.

Keep in mind the message here: your immune system was such a wreck that this happened and it usually only happens to old people or people with cancer, HIV, etc.. Your immune system should never have been compromised like that. Not beating you up as much as asking you to take that away from this situation and look into ways to get into sick condition without pushing your body to that point. I changed a lot of things after my show in 03 so that my health was not ever compromised, again.

Good luck and keep us posted, please. Unfortunately, the worst is not over, yet.

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
          Instagram: @intensemuscle
          YouTube: TEAMSKIP
          TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            Oh GAWD ... Sorry to hear this. The "bolts of pain" made me cringe. Hopefully, you got to it soon enough that the nerve damage isn't permanent.

Keep in mind the message here: your immune system was such a wreck that this happened and it usually only happens to old people or people with cancer, HIV, etc.. Your immune system should never have been compromised like that. Not beating you up as much as asking you to take that away from this situation and look into ways to get into sick condition without pushing your body to that point. I changed a lot of things after my show in 03 so that my health was not ever compromised, again.

Good luck and keep us posted, please. Unfortunately, the worst is not over, yet.

Skip
            Hey Skip,

Thanks. The strange thing is that from a training stand point, I actually did less (lifted three times a week, cardio limited to 5xhalf hour sessions per week) and physcially I did not feel too dinged up. The things I did differently were that I dieted for a full 20 weeks and I had sleep issues for close to the entire prep. The last two weeks I really pushed the diet to suck down to 176.

The doctors, after informing me that the reason I had shingles was that I must be on steroids or gh, added that my wife may have unknowlingly been a carrier as she works in a nursing home. The doctor's all did one of those "Hey come here and look at this guy. Have you ever seen this in someone so young?" Between the being treated as a freaky spectacle and basically being labeled as a "dumb bodybuilder" I soon demanded for them to give me a script and will be looking for a new family physician.

A few questions for you if you don't mind: As I am still in the grips of the virus and the pain is not fun in the least, I am concerned about suffering from another outbreak the next time I prep. What did you do differently post-shingle preps and what suggestions do you have? Are there things that you now incorporate in your daily life (nutrition, supps, other) to help decrease the risk of another outbreak?

Thanks for the help!
            Last edited by Extreme One; 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM.

Teddy Roosevelt - 1910

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post

Skip

I had this back in 06. Never knew the immune system being in shit shape caused this. Certainly learn something new each day.

I wish you a quick recovery with no permanent damage brother. Glad to hear you caught it early on enough.

J
              "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Godsmack View Post
                I had this back in 06. Never knew the immune system being in shit shape caused this. Certainly learn something new each day.

I wish you a quick recovery with no permanent damage brother. Glad to hear you caught it early on enough.

J
                Thank you sir! The strange thing is that I am always talking about how "strong my immune system is." I even tease my wife over the number of colds she gets. Prior to this, I have not been sick (even a cold) since 2008. I would trade shingles for ten colds at this point!

Teddy Roosevelt - 1910

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme One View Post
                  Thank you sir! The strange thing is that I am always talking about how "strong my immune system is." I even tease my wife over the number of colds she gets. Prior to this, I have not been sick (even a cold) since 2008. I would trade shingles for ten colds at this point!
                  I gotta wonder if that possibly played a part in you getting this? It sounds like your immune system had not been challenged in quite some time and once it was called upon it folded like a cheap suit.

Just thinking out loud here. And my wife and I and similar to you and yours in that aspect. I am rarely sick but when I am I am a little bitch.

J
                  "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

George Patton

Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

Comment

I got mine just after dieting down 30lbs. I was told by Doc, that anyone who had chicken pox as a child has the virus lying dormant in their spine. I didn’t feel like my immune system was compromised at the time, but apparently it was. I was also told it is very contagious during the early stages.

Fact is, my son never had chicken pox as a child, but he caught them from me when I had my shingles even though he was vaccinated at an early age..(because of the vaccine, his case was very mild)

I’ve since dieted down again and its always is in the back of my mind, but I’m also taking precautions supplement wise in hopes I don’t get them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                      I got mine just after dieting down 30lbs. I was told by Doc, that anyone who had chicken pox as a child has the virus lying dormant in their spine. I didn’t feel like my immune system was compromised at the time, but apparently it was. I was also told it is very contagious during the early stages.

Fact is, my son never had chicken pox as a child, but he caught them from me when I had my shingles even though he was vaccinated at an early age..(because of the vaccine, his case was very mild)

I’ve since dieted down again and its always is in the back of my mind, but I’m also taking precautions supplement wise in hopes I don’t get them again.
                      Heckman,

What precautions supp wise are you taking? I am hoping to learn from this awful experience. Knowing full well that my immune system is compromised when I prep, I really am strict with my supp. regimine. I bump up all my anti-oxidants, plenty of fish oil, green tea, ZMA, C, etc. Since contracting shingles, I have learned that selenium and Lysine may also be helpful. I also learned that Arginine may contribute to the virus.

Do you have any other thoughts/suggestions? Anything you and Skip can advise would be appreciated? I respect your opinions.

Teddy Roosevelt - 1910

Comment

I started taking this product during the shingles and have continued to use it everyday since:

http://www.herb-pharm.com/store/prod...products_id=37

It helps with the immune system.

I also take in addition to my multi's, a supp from Source Naturals called Wellness Formula.

I have not even had a cold since I've been taking these....(2 plus years)neither has my wife. I just don't want to take any chances.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the shingles man... haven't had them, but I know many people that have and it sounds awful.

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
                          I started taking this product during the shingles and have continued to use it everyday since:

http://www.herb-pharm.com/store/prod...products_id=37

It helps with the immune system.

I also take in addition to my multi's, a supp from Source Naturals called Wellness Formula.

I have not even had a cold since I've been taking these....(2 plus years)neither has my wife. I just don't want to take any chances.
                          It may be my work computer, but the link isn't working...

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Comment

I would think that acyclovir or valacyclovir would help prevent the shingles?

Comment

Originally posted by PTAaron View Post
                              Sorry to hear about the shingles man... haven't had them, but I know many people that have and it sounds awful.

It may be my work computer, but the link isn't working...
                              Thanks Aaron! I am hoping that by sharing my story others can learn that even though we may look our best, our insides could be a mess. I definitely learned that I am not invincible and as Skip mentioned there are other ways to achieve great conditioning without having to become a damn programmed robot that cannot listen to it's body and just continues to put one foot in front of the other no matter what signals your body gives you.

Teddy Roosevelt - 1910

Comment

Working...
                              X