Leg growth/density as we get older.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg growth/density as we get older.

Is leg growth actually possible as we get older (40's-50's) or should we try and focus more of shape? I know as we get older, muscle mass tends to decline but does its decline more so in the legs? One example that comes to mind is seeing Vince Taylor when he came back and did a few Master Olympia. When you view pic’s of him earlier in his career and compared, you could see a difference. I use Vince as an example without knowing any of the issues that could have occurred (i.e. injuries, lack of training).
    "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
    2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
    2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
    2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
    2002 NPC Western Carolina:
    2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

I guess it depends on level.
    but it is possible , maybe harder , and you might have to be smarter about it as you age.
    a bit a budget will help as well , if you know what I mean ....
    "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
    J.M.

Comment

I don tknow
      I am 46 yrs old and my legs are bigger and leaner now then they were when I was powerlifting(before back injury when I could do barbell Squats)

Now with that said I bike (not as much lately) 40-80 miles a week on avg more like 40 now.
      Sm squat due to lower back, but one thing i decided on that seems to working since I have no intention of power lifting competions any longer I do not go below paralell, I hit right above-which is allowing me to load up the weight 400+LBs again with this my legs are sore as hell- I used to criticize this!!! Thought squating hi was for pussies!!!! as with the age long saying knowing what I know now if I could only go back!

I try to keep my reps high 12-15 reps on working sets, the squats since i have discovered the magic of hi squatting i am going lower reps about every third squat workout.

As long as the joints hold up I think you can add muscle, just got to find work arounds with age.
      If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
      :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
      Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

Comment

Thanks guys, being in the military, running is a required task so that may have some effect on things. I know when I was much younger, I would always go below parallel but since my knees (cartilage/runners knees) have been giving me trouble, I've also adopted the "no lower than parallel" philosophy as well. I still try and go heavy while keeping my reps in the 8-10 reps (minus WM) range on most sets.
        "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
        2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
        2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
        2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
        2002 NPC Western Carolina:
        2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Working...
        X