Do u ever take a week break?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do u ever take a week break?

HI sorry if this seems like a dumb question but i am new to body building but do any of u guys ever take any week breaks or so? The last two months i been really pushing myself every set every rep every day and am starting to feel a little burnt out. Would it be good to just take a week off or should i just lower my weight reps etc for a little bit? Thanks guys for all the things u post and all the help. this site really helps me alot especially for being new in this.

Yes.
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I just took 10 days off. Yes, it's CRUCIAL to take a break occasionally.
      Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Absolutely, and do yourself a favor and take your break BEFORE you're beat to shit....being proactive with this will definitely help you over the long term....
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
          Absolutely, and do yourself a favor and take your break BEFORE you're beat to shit....being proactive with this will definitely help you over the long term....
          x2.

I used to wait until I started feeling aches to take a cruise week. Now I do it at week 7-8 almost every time, no matter how good i feel.

EDIT: I will say that I do sometimes skip a day here or there (when I get to this point) if I do wanna go an extra full week. (skip a friday and start the following monday, etc)
          TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

My blasts tend run long, no particular reason other than I am making progress and feel good. I do my best to listen to my body and take the cues it gives as a way of telling me, "Hey asshole, take some time off! You're killing me!" Usually this is when I start to feel a little worn out during the day, a little less motivation, not beating the logbook and just not feeling like I can push out the reps I should. I'm not talking about being completely worn out, just specific details that are an indication that your body is in need of break.

Taking a cruise after 8, 10, or how every many weeks is always fine, as Steel already said, and is easier to plan it out, but once you start going longer, am least for me, you have to pay a little more close attention to how your body and mind is responding to your training, nutrition and everything else in life.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
              I will say that I do sometimes skip a day here or there (when I get to this point) if I do wanna go an extra full week. (skip a Friday and start the following Monday, etc)
              I've started doing that as well. I found after taking a week or week and a half break, I would start losing strength pretty quickly. By taking shorter, but more frequent breaks, I've been able to avoid that.

I usually try to take two sessions off (Friday and Monday) and then start back on a Wednesday. This means I miss one back/chest/tricep workout and one legs/bicep workout.
              ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Originally posted by Agi View Post
                I've started doing that as well. I found after taking a week or week and a half break, I would start losing strength pretty quickly. By taking shorter, but more frequent breaks, I've been able to avoid that.

I usually try to take two sessions off (Friday and Monday) and then start back on a Wednesday. This means I miss one back/chest/tricep workout and one legs/bicep workout.
                I've been thinking about taking 3 days off every four weeks instead of the usual week off after eight weeks that I do, for that very reason. I think I'll implement it in my next blast and see how it goes.
                Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

I usually either do a really light deload week, or just take a few days off with a couple full body splits/conditioning days that week. Doesn't happen too often, but if I'm feeling beat up or worn down, I definitely listen to the body.
                  …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Comment

Yes...I take a 10-14 days every 6-8 weeks or so...for me, its a great to rest up, clear my head, and get focused for the next blast.

-slide
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

I train 5/3/1 and I personally do no training at all during the deload week. When I come back, I feel strong and refreshed.

Comment

Get in the habit of taking the breaks now, or at least a light deload. That way it becomes part of your training and makes it easier for you to take them as you get older. I am 36 now and these breaks are NEEDED every 6-8 weeks. Sometime a I will take 3 weeks if I beat the shit out of my body for a few months.
                          Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

My Training Log Here at IM

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

Comment

Yes, I take them every couple of months...

It is a mental break for me, more than anything. Trying to smash PRs every workout is as much a mental task as a physical one.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                              Yes, I take them every couple of months...

It is a mental break for me, more than anything. Trying to smash PRs every workout is as much a mental task as a physical one.
                              Especially for deadlifts. No other exercise gives me the same level of pre-lift anxiety and stress as the deadlift.

Comment

Working...
                              X