Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A positive influence on your community

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A positive influence on your community

    There's been a few discussions around here lately, and I know Skip has made reference to, the way bodybuilders/lifters/etc are viewed by the general public. To many we are a freak show, or a joke. We often come across as self-centered and arrogant. The Planet Fitness commercials that were posted here awhile ago are a perfect example.

    I saw this article in my local paper the other day. This guy is out to set another Guinness world record in lifting but has added a twist that will benefit a local charity in the process.
    Back in July, I organized a benefit to raise funds for Carcinoid Cancer in memory of a good friend we lost last year to this type of cancer. He owned a gym here so one of the guys helping also added a "Cross-fit Challenge" to the event to help raise money and it was a great success.

    My point is, we all need to try to show our communities that we are not just meatheads....at least not all of us...and we can and do contribute in a positive way. I encourage you all to challenge yourself, organize/participate in an event around fitness or any other activity to show the public we too are a part of society. We are all ambassadors to our sport and should conduct ourselves accordingly.
    That is my rant for the day, thanks for listening!

    Oswego man plans attempt to break world record for dumbbell raises
    Published: Tuesday, October 25, 2011, 2:13 PM
    Dick Blume / The Post-Standard

    Bob Natoli, of Oswego, has set several fitness records in the Guinness Book of World Records. On Thursday afternoon, he's going to attempt to break another one.

    He's set his sights this time on the record for most weight lifted by front dumbbell raises in one hour -- set at 20,503 pounds by Eamonn Keane of Ireland on Oct. 23, 2010.

    As part of Thursday's effort, Natoli has also promised to donate $5,000 to Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital, according to a news release.

    Natoli has written a book about the goal attainment system he developed and used to be successful in business and in his quest for world records. The book, "True Vision 4 Success," is available for purchase at Amazon.com and through his website starting Nov. 12.

    [He] is encouraging people to pledge a penny per pound to Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital when he attempts to break the world record Thursday for most weight lifted by front dumbbell raises in one hour. For more information, contact [email][email protected]
    [url]

    http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2011/10/oswego_man_plans_attempt_to_break_record_for_dumbb ell_raises.html
    Last edited by Kidrok (Hop); 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM.
    -KidRok-
    "...because I won't accept that I can't."


    www.https://Truenutrition.com/
    5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

    https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

  • #2
    Do we have a website set up for donations on this?

    I will send some funds for this. Its a worth cause and a damn good idea.

    Thanks for sharing.


    J
    "No man ever won a war by dieing for his county. He did it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his."

    George Patton


    Get your Protein where the real men get theirs, TrueProtein.com

    5% off with Dicount code JNR490, and 10% off orders over 10 lbs!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for posting this, KR and ditto on the site for donations. According to this (and by clicking the link) his website isn't up yet:

      http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2011/10...ll_raises.html

      FWIW, kids seem really receptive to bodybuilders. I did a talk in a Life Skills class at one of the local middle schools last week and the kids just loved it. B/c of my appearance, they were really captivated by the things I was saying (and perhaps even a bit distracted... LOL) My talk was about helping them find something they're passionate about in life. They stayed with me for the entire talk and finally I have 'em a couple minutes at the end to ask me questions about me (they kept wanting to go there during the class). Their questions were, in order, "Can you do that bouncy thing with your boobs?"; "Do you have a six pack?"; and "Can I see your arm?..." Half the class had to be shooshed off for the next period and the next class was bummed I wasn't their guest speaker.. LOL It was very cute and a lot of fun...

      -Scott
      Last edited by homonunculus; 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM.
      The Book Has Arrived!
      The Book Has Arrived!

      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


      www.TrueNutrition.com

      2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
        Thanks for posting this, KR and ditto on the site for donations. According to this (and by clicking the link) his website isn't up yet:

        http://blog.syracuse.com/cny/2011/10...ll_raises.html

        FWIW, kids seem really receptive to bodybuilders. I did a talk in a Life Skills class at one of the local middle schools last week and the kids just loved it. B/c of my appearance, they were really captivated by the things I was saying (and perhaps even a bit distracted... LOL) My talk was about helping them find something they're passionate about in life. They stayed with me for the entire talk and finally I have 'em a couple minutes at the end to ask me questions about me (they kept wanting to go there during the class). Their questions were, in order, "Can you do that bouncy thing with your boobs?"; "Do you have a six pack?"; and "Can I see your arm?..." Half the class had to be shooshed off for the next period and the next class was bummed I wasn't their guest speaker.. LOL It was very cute and a lot of fun...

        -Scott
        I think I would have pretty much shit my pants if you came to my school when I was younger. That was a nice story.
        Last edited by homonunculus; 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by smookey View Post
          I think I would have pretty much shit my pants if you came to my school when I was younger. That was a nice story.
          LOL - These kids were great. Not intimidated (well maybe a little) but they loosened up real quick when I started tap dancing and twirling my top hat and cane around.

          -S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

          Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


          www.TrueNutrition.com

          2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

          Comment


          • #6
            What this guy is doing is great. My hats off to him and I commend anyone that does anything to help others so PLEASE don't think I am taking anything at all away from anyone raising money for a children's hospital when I say this...

            I would love to see more BBrs, powerlifters, strongmen, gym rats, etc... Do things in their comunity that is NOT related to their strength or physique. Please understand my point here... If you want to change the publics opinion of "huge guys" then volunteer at an animal shelter, at a soup kitchen, at your local ARC, at a woman's shelter, etc... Let people interact with you in a way that doesn't make you a side show. I hope I am making my point well enough but if this thread is about influencing the publics perception them seeing a huge guy as just another guy with a heart helping kids with special needs or working next to you at a soup kitchen will do more to create a positive perception than doing something strength or physique related.

            Again PLEASE understand I take nothing away from any human that helps another human in need.... I do nothing but commend them so I hope some here just understand my point.

            Peace
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:


            http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

            "They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

            "You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss


            I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.


            "Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not sure where this guy is taking donations, I suppose you could send an email to the addy in the article. That wasn't my intent on posting this, but it would be cool if he got more donations from it.
              -KidRok-
              "...because I won't accept that I can't."


              www.https://Truenutrition.com/
              5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

              https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                What this guy is doing is great. My hats off to him and I commend anyone that does anything to help others so PLEASE don't think I am taking anything at all away from anyone raising money for a children's hospital when I say this...

                I would love to see more BBrs, powerlifters, strongmen, gym rats, etc... Do things in their comunity that is NOT related to their strength or physique. Please understand my point here... If you want to change the publics opinion of "huge guys" then volunteer at an animal shelter, at a soup kitchen, at your local ARC, at a woman's shelter, etc... Let people interact with you in a way that doesn't make you a side show. I hope I am making my point well enough but if this thread is about influencing the publics perception them seeing a huge guy as just another guy with a heart helping kids with special needs or working next to you at a soup kitchen will do more to create a positive perception than doing something strength or physique related.

                Again PLEASE understand I take nothing away from any human that helps another human in need.... I do nothing but commend them so I hope some here just understand my point.

                Peace
                I absolutely understand your point. I was just suggesting anything done to help others is a positive statement. And if it means staying within your comfort zone and doing something you know then so be it. And if it's something else and you challenge yourself, more power to ya!
                -KidRok-
                "...because I won't accept that I can't."


                www.https://Truenutrition.com/
                5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

                https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

                Comment


                • #9
                  A mate and I volunteer to do things at a local school. We are cops and turn up in a modified uniform of a polo shirt and board shorts to help with some of the science things where we use a speed gun. At the time we were both pushing about 115-120kg and looked pretty big.

                  As with Homon the kids got a kick out of what we were saying and our size. My son goes to the school also and the kids certainly gave him some good feedback.

                  The sports teacher later reported that the gym had never been so packed, before school, little lunch, lunch and after school. Also the kids all wanted to ditch foot ball and swimming and the other sports during their lessons and just hit the weights. Also the PNC committie says they sell less soft drinks and more milk after we come.

                  Some of these kids have known me for doing the same volunteer work for 10yrs now and will readilly talk to me both as a cop and about pumping the iorn or being fit.

                  All in allI like to do it to represent both the local police and as a fit guy that can hold his own with the sporty kids. Also I must say that my station is full of fit police ( We have our own pretty good gym we put together ourselves). Out of about 15 male cops in my section only 3 don't hit the gym.
                  "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                  Buck Brannaman.

                  "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                  'Hanging' Judge PARKER

                  "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                  ~William Bernbach

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great post, KR, and great article.

                    I am doing a seminar at MetroFlex in Plano in January with a handful of others (including Steve Kuclo) and it is to benefit Muscular Dystrophy, I believe (Just committed last week so the details aren't final yet). When asked what my fee was, I told them I would donate my fee to the charity and I am going to ask Steve to do the same thing. I am almost certain he will.

                    It wasn't something I went looking for but when offered, I felt like this is something that I could do more of in the future and feel pretty damned good about it.

                    Skip


                    Facebook: Skip Hill
                    Instagram: @intensemuscle
                    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                    TikTok: @intensemuscle


                    For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

                    Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X