Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swedish Meatball Gets better with Age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swedish Meatball Gets better with Age...

... and I'm not talking about a food item.

Thought I'd share some pics of a local friend of mine I've know for years, who we affectionately refer to as the Swedish Meatball. (He's originally from Sweden.)

Mike's a true veteran of the game, having competed in the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, the '00's and most recently 2011 at the crisp young age of 49 (I think). He's getting better with age.

Mike recently won the overall at the local NPC Tucson Terminator, the same show where Dave Henry's wife won the women's overall BB'ing. Mike and I have been competing together here in AZ for the past 9 years or so. We both moved here about the same time.

Mike's always been a Middleweight at all the shows I've seen him do. We'd talk about prep and strategies a good bit and I helped him drop his water a few times. Finally (at last), he put together a solid off-season and decided he wanted to give it a go with some of the main ideas I use for diet and especially how I carb folks up and help them drop water. I can't say I prepped him (otherwise I'd have had to have asked him to pay me... LOL), but I was happy as hell to see him come in over 10lb above his highest stage weight for at least a decade. (He's in the upper 180's here at 5'8".)

He blew some people's minds at this show with his conditioning and took the overall EASY. Mike's now a citizen of the U.S. and is gonna have a shot at the Master's Nat's pretty soon. (He'll have to wait until 2012 to turn 50 before the show.)

Enjoy the pics.

-S
    Attached Files
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

He looks freakin awesome!

Let me guess...protein powder and potatoes?
    Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

WOW... I wanna be a meatball..lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Salado View Post
        He looks freakin awesome!

Let me guess...protein powder and potatoes?
        Yep, except this time he used LOTS of nanovapor. (He loves that shit... )

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Going on 50! What!?!:jaw: That is seriously insane. To compete for that many years is incredible and to reach that conditioning at 49 just goes to show what solid programming, staying healthy (assuming since he's competed for so long) and MUSCLETECH can do!

Does he follow DC training? What techniques/strategies did he use this past offseaon that you think made the biggest difference?

Congrats to Mike and great work Scott!

-Kris
          Last edited by mentalflex; 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM.
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

He looks great Scott

Very good work between the 2 of you.
            nabba north 2010 first timers - 6th place

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              Yep, except this time he used LOTS of nanovapor. (He loves that shit... )

-S
              LMAO...chased with activated charcoal.
              Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                Going on 50! What!?!:jaw: That is seriously insane. To compete for that many years is incredible and to reach that conditioning at 49 just goes to show what solid programming, staying healthy (assuming since he's competed for so long) and MUSCLETECH can do!

Does he follow DC training? What techniques/strategies did he use this past offseaon that you think made the biggest difference?

Congrats to Mike and great work Scott!
                -Kris
                Thanks, Kris.

Mike's done DC training before (actually trained with Dave H. and me a long time ago - look up Team Vasquez here on IM). He likes to train with pretty high volume.

Basically all he did was use more Muscletech stuff this year.. Just kidding.

Actually he just really focused on making quality and consistent gains in the off-season. Nothing earth-shattering but Mike has been for years (I've been on him about this) kind of an either on or off guy as far as training, dieting, etc. His diet especially would kind of go to crap but when it was time to diet down for a show, he's go for it and be perfect with his diet.

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by lee salado View Post
                  lmao...chased with activated charcoal.
                  lol - yummy!!!

-s
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

He looks great, and it is great to hear that he has made improvements at 49. Nice work Scott/Homon.
                    2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
                    2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
                    2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
                    1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
                    1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                    1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                    1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                    + more

Comment

Great work and he looked great at the show from what I saw....
                      Now if we could just get him to stop eating those freakin' disgusting Swedish Fish candy things, he loves!

-DH
                      www.toopumped.net
                      7 X IFBB champion

"Do something productive, instead of talking about those that are"
                      -DH

Comment

Originally posted by ProDH View Post
                        Great work and he looked great at the show from what I saw....
                        Now if we could just get him to stop eating those freakin' disgusting Swedish Fish candy things, he loves!

-DH
                        We got him to stop buying his lunch from the vending machine, so we're getting somewhere... LOL

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by ProDH View Post

-DH
                          HOW DARE YOU speak that way of Swedish fish!? LOL

Swedish Fish are some of my all time favorite candy. Only the OG Red ones though. Plus I hear they are anabolic.

Comment

Working...
                          X