Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad Gyms

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sad Gyms

    Ok this has probably been covered numerous times and all, but i live in an area where my gym is "SAD". What do does a guy do to build a blast when the only leg exercises he has is squats or front squats. The largest dumbells a guys got is 100lbs. I know that as long as ive been doing this i should have the answer, but why dont I? Id love to work out at the local Genesis Health club thats 65 miles away and costs 800$ to work out at, but im not that lucky so what do i do?

  • #2
    You have a smith machine?

    Comment


    • #3
      um no!

      Comment


      • #4
        Find a new gym. If you have to travel, you travel. Make it happen.
        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

        Comment


        • #5
          Make/buy your own stuff. I have three benches (flat, incline and decline), a power rack, 3 long bars, 4 sets of dumbbells, Modifications to the power rack for chins, dips, floor presses and other things. A cable pull down with numerous attachments, leg extension, leg cont, 400kg free weights.

          This did not cost very much. I built the power rack with my father in law. The benches were all from garage sales as were most of the weights and bars. I would guess I have spent less then $500.00 to get this stuff together.

          I go to the gym only to do leg press but if I had no gym I could easily survive. I have thought of rigging up a old style verticle leg press to what I have got but thought nah cause the gym did me a $5.00 a workout deal.
          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
          Buck Brannaman.

          "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

          "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
          ~William Bernbach

          Comment


          • #6
            Front Squats

            Back Squats

            Box Squats

            BB Lunges

            DB Lunges

            Sissy Squats

            free weight Leg Curls with dumbell between feet/ankles

            Ghetto GHR

            Overhead Squats

            Overhead Lunges

            Goblet Squats, etc.
            Last edited by RedSkull; 10-08-2011, 08:58 AM.
            PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

            Comment


            • #7
              There's no way I could even fathom switching gyms if the next best one or whatever was 65 miles away...add in traffic and you are screwed for that ride, AND the ride back....I'm lucky to have a couple gyms near me that have decent equipment, ok members and are close enough in reality that I could walk there....
              STEEL




              "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

              Comment


              • #8
                Do something that doesn't require a ton of different exercises like DC does.

                Check out some of the logs of the big guys that post here, not all of them are doing DC.
                Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Indianpower View Post
                  Ok this has probably been covered numerous times and all, but i live in an area where my gym is "SAD". What do does a guy do to build a blast when the only leg exercises he has is squats or front squats. The largest dumbells a guys got is 100lbs. I know that as long as ive been doing this i should have the answer, but why dont I? Id love to work out at the local Genesis Health club thats 65 miles away and costs 800$ to work out at, but im not that lucky so what do i do?
                  It's not $800.. it's only $40 a month you silly goose. I go to genesis health clubs. $70 for me and my wife after taxes.

                  Oh, but I did just cancel my membership - the owners are full of themselves pricks.
                  Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


                  Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                  FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                  www.316fit.com
                  Email: [email protected]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "If" the next gym is truly 65 miles away, then I think you need to get creative with the equipment you have available to you. RS posted many 'other' exercises you can add in as well. Are you using the 100s and pressing 20+ reps? Or, have you done walking lounges with the 100s (one in each hand) and just absolutely killing it?

                    Here is a link...I imagine you can probably add some of these to your blast....

                    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html

                    Going back...65 miles is a ridiculous journey to make for a gym. There are no colleges/universities, or YMCA type places? I dont know WTF is in Kansas, but damn, thats crazy.

                    Good luck...

                    -slide
                    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

                    "Carry 24/7 or guess right."

                    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

                    "993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fade View Post
                      It's not $800.. it's only $40 a month you silly goose. I go to genesis health clubs. $70 for me and my wife after taxes.

                      Oh, but I did just cancel my membership - the owners are full of themselves pricks.
                      well when i looked in to going to their gym it was $twenty to join then 50$ each month and then you had to sign up for two years and but they were going to wave the first two months. Least that's what i was told. I was like um... ill pass cus when i lived in Hays i could work out at a gym like genesis for 300 for the year! Crazy stuff there right!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slide View Post
                        "If" the next gym is truly 65 miles away, then I think you need to get creative with the equipment you have available to you. RS posted many 'other' exercises you can add in as well. Are you using the 100s and pressing 20+ reps? Or, have you done walking lounges with the 100s (one in each hand) and just absolutely killing it?

                        Here is a link...I imagine you can probably add some of these to your blast....

                        http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ThighWt.html

                        Going back...65 miles is a ridiculous journey to make for a gym. There are no colleges/universities, or YMCA type places? I dont know WTF is in Kansas, but damn, thats crazy.

                        Good luck...

                        -slide
                        Well the gym that i am talking bout is at NCK Tech and its in the town i live its really the only gym in town. I think im going to have to research some of those exercises that Redskull spoke of cus the only thing the gym really lacks is a smith machine, real heavy dumbbells, and a leg press. And ill have to get creative i do agree! Oh and far as WTF is in Kansas, well there is stuff if yer in the right area if i was in a larger city it would be awesome but there are just alot of small towns in KS and some are like where i live 65 miles from a larger city with things!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thank you guys for the responses and giving me feed back.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Indianpower View Post
                            well when i looked in to going to their gym it was $twenty to join then 50$ each month and then you had to sign up for two years and but they were going to wave the first two months. Least that's what i was told. I was like um... ill pass cus when i lived in Hays i could work out at a gym like genesis for 300 for the year! Crazy stuff there right!
                            Sturdy Bodies!?

                            anyway.. if you do your job haggling them.. they should drop the it to free enrollment, $36/mo for 1 person w/ an 18 month contract.

                            contracts suck, though.. and I don't really encourage anyone to join genesis seeing it supports those same people who own the one here.
                            Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


                            Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                            FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                            www.316fit.com
                            Email: [email protected]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                              Front Squats

                              Back Squats

                              Box Squats

                              BB Lunges

                              DB Lunges

                              Sissy Squats

                              free weight Leg Curls with dumbell between feet/ankles

                              Ghetto GHR

                              Overhead Squats

                              Overhead Lunges

                              Goblet Squats, etc.
                              Great list... add the following:

                              BB hack squats

                              goodmornings (sumo and narrow stance)

                              BB bench step ups

                              I really don't know why you need machines... I haven't used any type of machine in over a year now... And I really don't see why anybody would need to.
                              -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                              -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                              198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                              -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                              198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                              -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                              198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X