Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Like We Really Needed DC Training to be Validated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like We Really Needed DC Training to be Validated...

I came across a new study that proves rest-pause training is more effective than straight sets for increasing motor unit recruitment.

Check it out

Acute neuromuscular and fatigue responses to the rest-pause method.

Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2011 Sep 20.

Marshall PW, Robbins DA, Wrightson AW, Siegler JC.

Source
    School of Biomedical and Health Science, University of Western Sydney, Australia.

Abstract
    Objectives. To compare muscle recruitment, maximal force, and rate of force development changes following different resistance exercise protocols with a constant volume-load. Design. Within-subjects randomized crossover trial.

Methods. Fourteen (n=14) resistance trained male participants completed three different resistance exercise protocols involving 20 squat repetitions, prescribed at 80% of 1-repetition-maximum. Protocol A consisted of 5 sets of 4 repetitions with 3min inter-set rest intervals, protocol B was 5 sets of 4 repetitions with 20s inter-set rest intervals, and the rest-pause method was an initial set to failure with subsequent sets performed with a 20s inter-set rest interval. Maximal squat isometric force output and rate of force development (RFD) were measured before, immediately upon completion (IP), and 5min (5P) following each protocol. Muscle activity from 6 different thigh and hip muscles was measured with surface electromyography (EMG) at each time point, and during every squat repetition.

Results. Participants completed the rest-pause method in 2.1±0.4 sets, with a total protocol duration of 103s compared to 140s and 780s for protocols B and A, respectively. All protocols elicited similar decreases (p<0.05) in maximal force and RFD at IP, with full recovery at 5P. Increased motor unit recruitment was observed during the rest-pause method compared to both protocols A and B for all muscles measured (p<0.05).

Conclusions. As a result of the increased EMG during exercise and no greater post-exercise fatigue, it was concluded that the rest-pause method may be an efficacious training method for resistance-trained individuals.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

interesting. Thanks for the post

Comment

So they used the same weight and one group had 3 minute rest breaks and the other had 20 second rest breaks?

Wouldn't the first group be doing something pretty "easy", by comparison then?

Comment

Originally posted by Shelby Starnes View Post
        So they used the same weight and one group had 3 minute rest breaks and the other had 20 second rest breaks?

Wouldn't the first group be doing something pretty "easy", by comparison then?
        The study had all groups using 80% of their 1RM.

Kris
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Would of been more useful/interesting to test RP as they performed it Vs 3 sets to failure @ 80% with 2-3 min rests.
          PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            The study had all groups using 80% of their 1RM.

Kris
            To play devil's advocate, if I were to wait three minutes between sets, I would be using a higher weight than if I were to wait just 20 seconds, so the premise of this experiment is a bit flawed. But there definitely is no debating the success people have using DC.
            Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

So how exactly does this prove anything when the weights are the same? Obviously shorter rest periods are harder / will recruit more muscle... but that doesn't mean it's the be-all, end-all to training.

Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                Would of been more useful/interesting to test RP as they performed it Vs 3 sets to failure @ 80% with 2-3 min rests.
                Exactly.

Comment

It means you can't spend three minutes talking on your phone between sets and think your still smashing the weights. I think it proves that at least.
                  "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                  Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                  'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                  ~William Bernbach

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                    It means you can't spend three minutes talking on your phone between sets and think your still smashing the weights. I think it proves that at least.
                    Well, it proves high intensity to failure with very low rest periods (R/P) is better than low intensity, several reps from failure, with high rest periods.

Comment

Completely agree with you here. I have just never seen any studies using RP so thought this would open up some discussion.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Yeah, it's cool they used R/P for it. Maybe they would accept feedback for a round 2. Would be interested to see that comparison, along with something different like Poliquin's GVT. Comparing various "intense" routines would be really fascinating...

Comment

I love rest-pause and agree that it's a great intensity technique but this was a poorly designed study.

People that completed the 20 reps with 80% of their 1RM in 104s recruited more muscle fibers then those who did the same workload in 780s = Well no shit

Also 80% of 1RM let's most people complete 7-8 reps and the others were stopping at 4 so not going anywhere close to failure.

I think it's a good study to show that higher intensity is better than lower intensity.
                          If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                          http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                          2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                          2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

That would have been interesting.
                            If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                            http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                            2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                            2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Yeah, it's cool they used R/P for it. Maybe they would accept feedback for a round 2. Would be interested to see that comparison, along with something different like Poliquin's GVT. Comparing various "intense" routines would be really fascinating...
                              Now were talking! It's odd how some of the most popular methods haven't been compared head to head in any studies. How can there be a multi-billion dollar industry with such horrid research, especially with such a passionate base of hobbyists.

Comment

Working...
                              X