No announcement yet.

So I had a medical scare last night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I had a medical scare last night...

Did my normal leg routine, which consisted of heavy squats singles up to 375 than some accessory work like leg curls and cybex leg press. I push it hard on legs, so obviously my heart was racing after the workout, but nothing out of the ordinary. I got home around 8:30 and just sat on the couch as relaxed as can be.

At 11:30 still as relaxed as can be, I suddenly feel my entire jaw go partially numb...like I could still move it, but it was tingling. Then I couldn't breathe right....it felt like how you breathe after a widowmaker set, but would NOT get better. I figured I would sit down and try to breathe easy and don't move to see if it gets better. 20 minutes passed and it didn't get better. So we figured lets at least drive to the hospital, it may get better on the way and we can turn around. NOPE, it gets WORSE. It got so bad, that I could not even swallow....to the point where getting any kind of air in was DIFFICULT. I actually called 911 from our car because I wasn't sure I was going to make it but they informed me that we were only 1 mile from the hospital.

So I arrive at the hospital...they took my blood, urine, gave me an ekg, gave me a cat scan and an x-ray and did not find anything out of the ordinary. I was there from 12:00 - 5:15 and I did not start breathing normally until 3:00, so whatever it was, it was not fast acting. I did not eat anything out of the ordinary and took all my normal supplements, which really is just creatine and 2 caps of green tea extract (1 serving). At first I thought it could have been the caffeine combined with intense lifting, but why 3 hours after the workout? I do have a history of asthma as a child, but I literally have not needed an inhaler since I was 14 and I am 28 now. In college, I played D1 baseball, and they would beat THE FUCK out of us in conditioning...make you run until you puke/pass out, get up and run some more, and I would get through those with no problems at all and be fine. That is why I am concerned about this. Anyone ever experience something like this? First step is to go to my family doctor and make sure my asthma did not manifest itself again.

What was your heart rate at the hospital?...

Do you have a history of anxiety?...

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

First off seems like some kind of allergic reaction to me(not a doctor), I had this happen as well the doctor once told me you can have exercise induced anaphalectic shock which I had one time.
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
        What was your heart rate at the hospital?...

Do you have a history of anxiety?...

-S
        Unsure what my heartrate was at the hospital...to be honest they didn't really tell me much. They told me that I was just hyperventilating.

I do not have a history of anxiety at all and my daily life is fairly stress free. I will say that I started to feel better AFTER they gave me medicine for anxiety in the hospital. But I can't even think of what I would have to be anxious about. Can it be an entirely subconscious thing? The only thing lately I have been a little worried about is my finances....I am not starving or on the street, but I have had to cut costs as of late due to unplanned financial circumstances. But even then, its not something I am constantly worrying myself to death about...I simply just don't buy the stuff I normally buy and I know it will only last a few months. Not like I am unemployed.
        Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
          First off seems like some kind of allergic reaction to me(not a doctor), I had this happen as well the doctor once told me you can have exercise induced anaphalectic shock which I had one time.
          Seems like that carries a bunch of other symptoms that I didn't have, but that is just using my interwebz MD skills.

Maybe it really was just some sort of anxiety and I kept making it worse by trying to breathe MORE. Evidently, when you hyperventilate, you are supposed to cover your mouth and one nostril and just breathe out of 1 nostril. If I had known this maybe I save myself hundreds lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mchicia1 View Post
            Seems like that carries a bunch of other symptoms that I didn't have, but that is just using my interwebz MD skills.

Maybe it really was just some sort of anxiety and I kept making it worse by trying to breathe MORE. Evidently, when you hyperventilate, you are supposed to cover your mouth and one nostril and just breathe out of 1 nostril. If I had known this maybe I save myself hundreds lol.
            I've had the same issue recently where it's been hard to breathe due to being sick and panicking and being even harder to catch my breath
            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Damn bro that sucks. Glad it got better though, whatever it was. I do agree with DC regarding freaking out when you can't breathe right, even if you're sitting there not doing anything, it's still in the back of your mind, "I can't fucking breathe, breathing is the essential part of life, wtf!" Whatever it was bro, glad it finally did go away.
              …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

I will say that I started to feel better AFTER they gave me medicine for anxiety in the hospital.
                mike, the fact that this helped tends to support that it was based at least somewhat on anxiety.

fwiw, I don't do any preworkout anymore b/c of the sides I got. Very random in their occurence as well. I'd be fine for weeks or months and then it would hit me.
                "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win." Bear Bryant

My Log:
                http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=45338

Comment

Thanks Mark, it was a scare for sure. I am on my wife's bad side now with my workout intensity though because she thinks this is why I had to go to the ER. In the car on the ride home, shes like "Why are you pushing yourself so hard? Listen to how tired you are...you can barely even walk into the car...this can't be good for you". My answer was "Because I am 28 and not getting any younger and I don't want to be 40 and look back and see that I blew my only chance in life to become ridiculously strong and have a great physique". She didn't understand that and said I looked great already, but I really want to get that freak level status (for a natty) that takes this kind of hard work in the gym and dedication out of it.

With that being said, I will give her the benefit of the doubt for a while and see how training goes sanz widowmakers and no caffeine.

Originally posted by PhxRPh View Post
                  mike, the fact that this helped tends to support that it was based at least somewhat on anxiety.

fwiw, I don't do any preworkout anymore b/c of the sides I got. Very random in their occurence as well. I'd be fine for weeks or months and then it would hit me.
                  I am definitely dropping the caffeine now man. Gonna buy some b-complex caps after work.

Comment

I am definitely dropping the caffeine now man. Gonna buy some b-complex caps after work.
                    good plan, I noticed the difference at first but pretty soon I was back to pretty much where I was without them. At this point I'm just drinking my normal amount of coffee (still lifting in the Garage at lunch).
                    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win." Bear Bryant

My Log:

Comment

I read your reply to me at WBB, do you know what all they gave you? If your throat was closing it could be an allergic reaction to something you took but it could also have been you feeling like it was closing from your asthma and/or some anxiety.

My Log:

Comment

Couldn't tell you what would have caused this, BUT this is absurd to read because I'm taking an Abnormal Psychology course and one of my exam questions was exactly what you described and they asked for my diagnosis. I think everyone said panic attack due to stresses in life that theyre not consciously thinking of at the time. Perhaps you should think back to what you were thinking of while sitting on the couch that night.
                        Best of luck man
                        Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Comment

Originally posted by PhxRPh View Post
                          I read your reply to me at WBB, do you know what all they gave you? If your throat was closing it could be an allergic reaction to something you took but it could also have been you feeling like it was closing from your asthma and/or some anxiety.
                          It was a pill for anxiety.

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
                          Couldn't tell you what would have caused this, BUT this is absurd to read because I'm taking an Abnormal Psychology course and one of my exam questions was exactly what you described and they asked for my diagnosis. I think everyone said panic attack due to stresses in life that theyre not consciously thinking of at the time. Perhaps you should think back to what you were thinking of while sitting on the couch that night.
                          Best of luck man
                          Yeah, I am definitely thinking panic attack now. I have been LIGHTLY stressed about my financial situation lately. I made some dumb decisions and I am beating myself up about it. Nothing crazy, just in the hundreds of dollars range, but I am tough on myself. With that being said, I know for a fact I wasn't thinking about it when this attack was brought on. However, maybe the caffeine pre-workout plus the high intensity of the workout put my body in an easier state to stress out and then it just happened.

Now I am going to have another panic attack when I get the ER bill in the mail, LOL.

Comment

I don't think panic attacks need to be necessarily triggered by stress. Your lifting could have caused the "fight or flight" mechanism in your body to go a bit overboard. Panic attacks can be completely neurological in nature. Anything can trigger the response and then a domino affect of breathing, panicking, causing your esophagus to tighten up, causing more feeling of not being able to breathe and continuing this cycle.

Comment

Working...
                            X