Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little less Macho

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A little less Macho

    Well, I'm 26 years old and I tore my fucking bicep yesterday, haha. I have had tendonosis in my right arm for years and I think that just weakened the shit out of the tendons in my arm.

    This weekend, I bent down to pick up an un-assembled dresser for the nursery. When I stood up with it, it shifted forwards a little and I felt 5 or 6 giant pops and snaps in my elbow. I was pretty sure what had happened right away and I sat down with some ice on it. I called the nurse triage line to see if it was something I needed to come in to the ER for. She said that it might not be torn and that I should give it a day or two and see how it is doing. I said I would, knowing good and well that I had fucked something up because straining your bicep does not cause it to change shape.

    The whole thing was a bit weird and hard to be sure of what had happened because there was very little pain associated with the injury and because the muscle had def rolled up my arm, but only an inch or two and I still had some flexion in it (I guess I don't understand how the muscle would retract like it has if only part of the ligament was torn?) . The pain got a little worse for a while, but never above a 3 or 4, and it is gone now, except for when I flex it or poke around in it, haha.

    Well, I went into the doctors office this morning and the first thing he said when he walked in the room, "That's an unusual injury for someone like you, what are you on steroids or something?" I just laughed and told him about the tendonosis, but in my head I was beating his face against the desk for being a dumbass. I have an appt with a surgeon next mon, and will hopefully have the surgery as soon as possible.

    The moral of the story? Get those nagging injuries taken care of before they become serious problems! Like I said, I have had tendonosis in that arm for years, but have only been unable to lift because of it twice. I had some ART done on it both times, which got me back in the gym, and I managed it by applying some Tiger Balm Muscle Rub to it before every workout. This allowed me to train pain free and it has not bothered me in months. It was still there however, and proved to be the weakest link when the weight of the dresser shifted.

    For anyone who has had this surgery, care to share your recovery timelines? Is there anything I should be doing until then to protect whatever is still attached? I have been trying not to keep it bent all the time because it becomes stiff as fuck and painful to straighten when I do.

    Also, I have a very mild case of the same tendonosis in my left arm, and tore my ACL twice. Is there anything I can add to my diet to support ligament/tendon health?
    Last edited by Macho Man; 09-26-2011, 03:08 PM.
    2010 NPC North Star

  • #2
    Moral of the story is don't assemble any fucking furniture :tongue1:

    jk...good luck with the surgery/rehab.
    Save yourself 5% on all your TRUENUTRITION orders by using discount code MTM281

    My Training Log Here at IM

    "Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals." -Jim Rohn

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mateus View Post
      Moral of the story is don't assemble any fucking furniture :tongue1:

      jk...good luck with the surgery/rehab.
      Thanks Mateus!
      2010 NPC North Star

      Comment


      • #4
        I have a couple friends that have dealt with this type of injury. They both ended up fine. If I get any pointers when I talk with them I'll let you know. My coach, who had several injuries when he was on the National level has a great protocol for coming back. Do you have a plan when you are given the green light for training?
        1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
        2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
        2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
        2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
        2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
        2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

        Truenutrition.com
        Use Discount Code AMJ

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Doberman View Post
          I have a couple friends that have dealt with this type of injury. They both ended up fine. If I get any pointers when I talk with them I'll let you know. My coach, who had several injuries when he was on the National level has a great protocol for coming back. Do you have a plan when you are given the green light for training?
          Well, it happened yesterday so I haven't really thought that far ahead. In my experience, the "green light" isn't given until you are able to start killing it without risks of damaging the repairs, so at that time I will probably just jump back onto 531 and keep pounding away until I get my strength back.

          Right now I am trying to decide what I am going to do diet/cardio wise. I have been going pound for pound with the wife since we found out she was pregnant and weighed 244 in the docs office today (fully clothed after 1 meal), which is by far the most I have weighed. I am def sloppy but have seen some great jumps in strength and muscularity. I realize it will probably drop off after a period of inactivity but I am going to do some looking around and see if there is anything I can do to retain as much of my size as possible.
          2010 NPC North Star

          Comment


          • #6
            sorry to hear that man!! take care of it

            I came down with a bad case about 2-3 weeks ago in my left bicep!
            Overall back worj isnt bothering it but im in pain curls 65lbs so im backing off and doing just lite easy shit for biceps for nxt 3 weeks

            hope u heal up soon!!
            If your not ripping a tendon your not working the muscle to its fullest capacity!

            I just kinda feel if the weight wasn't so heavy, I could lift it:
            :bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna:bb::dancingna
            Living for the INSULIN SPIKE!

            Comment


            • #7
              Just did some research on the ortho I have an appt with; Sports Medicine Ortho specializing in total knee/hip replacements, arthroscopic surgery, and general orthopedics. There are no elbow specialists covered in my network. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
              2010 NPC North Star

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
                Well, it happened yesterday so I haven't really thought that far ahead. In my experience, the "green light" isn't given until you are able to start killing it without risks of damaging the repairs, so at that time I will probably just jump back onto 531 and keep pounding away until I get my strength back.

                Right now I am trying to decide what I am going to do diet/cardio wise. I have been going pound for pound with the wife since we found out she was pregnant and weighed 244 in the docs office today (fully clothed after 1 meal), which is by far the most I have weighed. I am def sloppy but have seen some great jumps in strength and muscularity. I realize it will probably drop off after a period of inactivity but I am going to do some looking around and see if there is anything I can do to retain as much of my size as possible.
                totally thought you were saying your wife was 244lbs in this.
                Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


                Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                www.316fit.com
                Email: [email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fade View Post
                  totally thought you were saying your wife was 244lbs in this.
                  Haha, NOOOOOOOO
                  2010 NPC North Star

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fade View Post
                    totally thought you were saying your wife was 244lbs in this.
                    x2. I've been to a few sports medicine guys and they all seem to know their stuff, I definitely prefer them over regular MDs. I recently strained my right pectoralis minor, thought it was tore, went to a regular doc and got the run around, didn't want to help much at all, went to a sports med guy and got tons of advice and help to get me back on track.
                    …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Macho, that sucks! Good luck with the surgery/rehab. Are you currently taking anything for joint/connective tissue health (Glucosamine/Chondrotin, Cissus, etc..) Fish oil comes to mind for good joint health as well. Again, hope you heal quickly. On a side note, I see you are from around the Twin Cities area? Did you compete in the North Star last year (2011). My uncle won the Masters and missed the overall by 1 point. I did the NANBF show in Elk River. You guys got some tough competitors in that area! Anyway, take care and get it fixed right. There is an awesome Ortho here in Sioux Falls that worked on my daughter's ACL (he also fixed A few NFL and Pro golfers knees and elbows). Let me know if you are willing to travel a ways and I will get you his name.
                      "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
                        Macho, that sucks! Good luck with the surgery/rehab. Are you currently taking anything for joint/connective tissue health (Glucosamine/Chondrotin, Cissus, etc..) Fish oil comes to mind for good joint health as well. Again, hope you heal quickly. On a side note, I see you are from around the Twin Cities area? Did you compete in the North Star last year (2011). My uncle won the Masters and missed the overall by 1 point. I did the NANBF show in Elk River. You guys got some tough competitors in that area! Anyway, take care and get it fixed right. There is an awesome Ortho here in Sioux Falls that worked on my daughter's ACL (he also fixed A few NFL and Pro golferls knees and elbows). Let me know if you are willing to travel a ways and I will get you his name.
                        I take fish oil, but am def going to be looking into additional supps.

                        Yeah, I did the North Star last year, but it was in Oct of 2010. Your uncle was absolutely sick and got ROBBED of the overall! Very nice guy too, I sat by him backstage all day.

                        I am looking at doing that Elk River show along with the one in Menomenie, WI sometime in the next few years, so maybe I will run into you.

                        As far as surgeons, my wife works at a hospital up here, so in order to keep costs low we will have to stay in the area to stay in network. Thanks though!
                        2010 NPC North Star

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sorry to hear about your arm bro,, hope everything heals quickly!!
                          "SET NO LIMITS"

                          "When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

                          2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

                          Use Discount Code MMH353..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks V1hyp!
                            2010 NPC North Star

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Macho Man, sorry to hear about your injury. I'm sure it is a kick in the nuts, I guess you'll have to learn to use your left hand for those late, lonely nights lol JK with you, I wish you a fast recovery and hope everything turns out for the best.

                              Cheers,

                              Kris
                              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                              Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                              2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                              2015 Beat Cancer!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X