ulnar nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ulnar nerve

Any of you guys had problems with the ulnar nerve in your hand? I am having problems with my pinky and ring finger going to sleep and having the bottom part of my forearm being extra tired and fatigued from workouts.
    The only easy day is yesterday

I think I am talking about the same thing. A few years back, I started getting numbness in my pinky. It progressed to the point where I lost the sensation of hot and cold in my hand. I could put my hand under really hot water and couldn't tell you whether it was hot or cold. I went to a neurologist and was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. It's like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but in the elbow instead of the wrist. What was happening is that I was pinching the nerve that crosses the elbow joint. Primarily, I was doing this by putting my elbow on the car door when the window was open. It was being compounded at work by always leaning on my elbows.

He suggested before I try anything more drastic to just make some lifestyle changes. First (and obviously), stop hanging my arm out my car window. Second, try to be conscious and not lean on my elbows. Third, make sure you sleep with your arms straight down the sides of your body. This was actually harder than it sounds. I was used to sleeping with my arms cross my chest.

By making those changes, I was able to avoid any surgery. Still, if I'm not careful leaning on my elbows at work, I will start feeling it at the end of the day.

Maybe these recommendation could help you.
    ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Originally posted by c-dawg View Post
      Any of you guys had problems with the ulnar nerve in your hand? I am having problems with my pinky and ring finger going to sleep and having the bottom part of my forearm being extra tired and fatigued from workouts.
      do you have protracted shoulders? is your middle finger ever affected? Do certain movements cause it to act up(while you are doing them) or is it surrounding after the workouts and other parts of the day?

Comment

Originally posted by Agi View Post
        I think I am talking about the same thing. A few years back, I started getting numbness in my pinky. It progressed to the point where I lost the sensation of hot and cold in my hand. I could put my hand under really hot water and couldn't tell you whether it was hot or cold. I went to a neurologist and was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. It's like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but in the elbow instead of the wrist. What was happening is that I was pinching the nerve that crosses the elbow joint. Primarily, I was doing this by putting my elbow on the car door when the window was open. It was being compounded at work by always leaning on my elbows.

He suggested before I try anything more drastic to just make some lifestyle changes. First (and obviously), stop hanging my arm out my car window. Second, try to be conscious and not lean on my elbows. Third, make sure you sleep with your arms straight down the sides of your body. This was actually harder than it sounds. I was used to sleeping with my arms cross my chest.

By making those changes, I was able to avoid any surgery. Still, if I'm not careful leaning on my elbows at work, I will start feeling it at the end of the day.

Maybe these recommendation could help you.
        Yeah, I did some online research and it sounds like the same thing. I don't lean on my elbows or drive much. I do, however, use the computer and type a lot so I think that was the main cause. I'll try implementing those techniques and see if it gets any better. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheedno View Post
          do you have protracted shoulders? is your middle finger ever affected? Do certain movements cause it to act up(while you are doing them) or is it surrounding after the workouts and other parts of the day?
          Protracted shoulders, no idea. My middle finger is never affected and movements that require serious grip affect it. For example, I was doing single leg squats and holding the 50 pounders in each hand and I had to take a break because my forearm was getting weak and was burning. Also, last week the grip in my left hand was giving out at 290 pounds on the deadlift. I usually feel the burn on the outside of my forearm and sometimes in the tendons on the backside of my wrist.

Comment

can you afford a massage? If you can I'd look someone up that is certified in trigger point and can combine that technique with a traditional firm pressure. If you have an impingement up in the shoulder or neck area it would do some good.

Comment

Yeah I can afford a massage. I just didn't know if that would help if its a nerve thing. Ill try geting it worked out. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X