• Genetic Component??

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...in/?test=faces

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
    Instagram: @intensemuscle
    YouTube: TEAMSKIP
    TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Could be.

I'm inclined to believe that there's a genetic component to mental things like the ability focus/concentrate, visualize angles, hand eye coordination, and work ethic. Some people's brains may just be wired that way.

(Enter the psychologists to brawl over nature/nurture... My feeling is that nature influences nurture itself, and how the mind takes to nurture.)

Also, she probably also started playing when she was 3. That's gotta count for something too.
    The harder I work the luckier I get...
    ...Just lucky that way, I guess.

Comment

There is definitely a genetic component - BUT - is that genetic "advantage" expressed physically? Such as muscularity, structure, etc. Or is it mental? Ability to focus, etc.

Also - what impact does upbringing have on all these factors?

Interesting topic.

EDIT - thumbs up to Raptor.

Comment

to say that genetics doesn't rule sports is absurd. athletes can certainly train to become better (both mentally and physically) - and that "better" can be drastic for some, but everyone has a competitive ceiling - those with better genetics have a much higher ceiling. Slow people can become less slow (but not real fast), fast people can become faster, just like weak people can become stronger, etc...

that's not to downplay hardwork, commitment, etc because a person with average genetics can outwork a lazy person with superior genetics and become better...but be realistic, you either have the tools or you don't.

Comment

Well, I don't have to type much after this response. Personally, these are my thoughts EXACTLY.

Sure, there are mental and physical components and nature vs. nurture and all of that complicated stuff but when push comes to shove, this girls skills are what they are from a genetic standpoint, first and foremost. If this were not the case, shouldn't couldn't possibly practice enough, even if she started at 1 year old, to lead that field. There were many others out there that worked just as hard and probably even much harder for longer periods of time.

It is SICK to me how the next generation always blows away the last. CRAZY.

Skip
          Originally posted by Jay Cook View Post
          to say that genetics doesn't rule sports is absurd. athletes can certainly train to become better (both mentally and physically) - and that "better" can be drastic for some, but everyone has a competitive ceiling - those with better genetics have a much higher ceiling. Slow people can become less slow (but not real fast), fast people can become faster, just like weak people can become stronger, etc...

that's not to downplay hardwork, commitment, etc because a person with average genetics can outwork a lazy person with superior genetics and become better...but be realistic, you either have the tools or you don't.

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

yep and i think with how much knowledge we pass from cohort to cohort it also facilitates the "nurture" at a much greater, more focused, productive rate - doubling the generation effects of performance and human ability.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Cook View Post
              yep and i think with how much knowledge we pass from cohort to cohort it also facilitates the "nurture" at a much greater, more focused, productive rate - doubling the generation effects of performance and human ability.

when did you get so smart J?

CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
              MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
              2010 NGA Pro Universe
              2010 NPC Monster Mash
              2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
              2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
              2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
              2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
              2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
              2008 NPC Ohio State
              2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                when did you get so smart J?

I'm using my bigboy keyboard cuz my other one's sticky from the nudes you sent me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                  It is SICK to me how the next generation always blows away the last. CRAZY.

Skip
                  Last gen = Skip
                  Next gen = :sammich:
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by sammich View Post
                    last gen = skip
                    next gen = :sammich:
                    lol

Comment

Originally posted by bruce777 View Post
                      lol
                      Don't encourage him, Bruce.

Skip

Comment

Jay's basically mirrored my thoughts on this. Genetics definitely play a part in ones success in their endeavors. Hard work definitely helps substitute lack of genetics, but I don't think it will fully replace what isn't there naturally. Take professional athletes for example, it'd be interesting to have a statistic that shows how many of them have athletic parents, or grandparents. It'd be interesting to possibly take it even further with genealogy research to see what kind of lives their ancestors lived years and years ago. Or would that be a bit too far?
                        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                          Last gen = Skip
                          Next gen = :sammich:
                          So are you pronouncing your intention to blow skip?

Blow away, I mean.
                          This is an Irony Point- ؟
                          An Irony Point is a punctuation mark denoting that a sentence should be understood as ironic or sarcastic.

"When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs every morning to help me get large"- Gaston.

Comment

Originally posted by mark! View Post
                            Jay's basically mirrored my thoughts on this. Genetics definitely play a part in ones success in their endeavors. Hard work definitely helps substitute lack of genetics, but I don't think it will fully replace what isn't there naturally. Take professional athletes for example, it'd be interesting to have a statistic that shows how many of them have athletic parents, or grandparents. It'd be interesting to possibly take it even further with genealogy research to see what kind of lives their ancestors lived years and years ago. Or would that be a bit too far?
                            there is always strong ties to families in athletics, but that always brings up the question of whether it was the genetics/nature or the "nurture" of having been raised by former or current athletes...I'm sure there's studies out there regarding this - possibly adoption studies or that sort of thing, I just personally have never looked that deep into it other than basic articles and observations.

Comment

anyone can do it

Comment

Working...
                              X