Meniscus Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meniscus Surgery

Has anyone here had surgery to repair a meniscus tear? I've been having knee pain that I suspect might be the meniscus. It's not severe, I can still walk normally, but it causes a sharp pain when I get near the bottom of my squats. What is the recovery time for this kind of surgery?

You should see a doc...it could be nothing or a lot of different things, but if it's an injury you're only going to make it worse by ignoring it.

Here is decent high-level overview of a meniscus surgery: http://www.orthspec.com/PDFs/Meniscus-Injuries.pdf

Comment

Well, they fixed my meniscus when I had my ACL reconstructed so I guess my answer would be yes.

If you have proper integrity in the ligaments and properly strong posterior chain/knee extensor strength ratios, you can recover quickly, 2-4 weeks.
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Originally posted by RexHead View Post
        You should see a doc...it could be nothing or a lot of different things, but if it's an injury you're only going to make it worse by ignoring it.

Here is decent high-level overview of a meniscus surgery: http://www.orthspec.com/PDFs/Meniscus-Injuries.pdf
        Thanks for that good article. I have an appointment with my orthopedic doc in 3 weeks. It hasn't really gotten any worse since it happened, but when I squat down on it the wrong way I get a sharp pain in there. I think it would feel more painful and limiting if it was ligament related.

Comment

I had both my medial and lateral meniscus operated on at the same time as a torn ACL and MCL, and it took me a solid 6 weeks of being on crutches and in a leg brace to begin my rehab, mainly due to the meniscus repair surgery and the fact that I couldn't be weight bearing.

While my knee never recovered 100% and my ROM isn't perfect, I still managed to get back into normal training.
          CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
          MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
          2010 NGA Pro Universe
          2010 NPC Monster Mash
          2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
          2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
          2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
          2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
          2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
          2008 NPC Ohio State
          2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
            I had both my medial and lateral meniscus operated on at the same time as a torn ACL and MCL, and it took me a solid 6 weeks of being on crutches and in a leg brace to begin my rehab, mainly due to the meniscus repair surgery and the fact that I couldn't be weight bearing.

While my knee never recovered 100% and my ROM isn't perfect, I still managed to get back into normal training.
            I know that if they have to repair the meniscus it takes longer to recover from. If they only remove part of it, then sometimes you can walk on it after a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that I only have a minor tear. My pain isn't that bad, but it's enough to limit my workouts.

Comment

I saw my orthopedic doctor today, and he said that I might have a small lateral meniscus tear in my right knee. He said they can usually do arthroscopy to cut out the loose piece of cartilage. Does anyone know if this type of surgery is usually successful for weightlifters? I'm kind of worried about being able to squat normally again.

Comment

My MRI is scheduled for Wednesday, and my follow up appointment with the doc is Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                X