Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My most recent ARTICLE on D-Aspartic Acid at Musclemag.com

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My most recent ARTICLE on D-Aspartic Acid at Musclemag.com

    http://www.musclemag.com/Nutrition-a...rtic-Acid.aspx

    Enjoy and feel free to "Like" it on Facebook, etc., too. (Button on the Bottom of the page.)

    -Scott
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


    www.TrueNutrition.com

    2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

  • #2
    I like your style of writing. You get your point across very well without bashing your science into my skull.

    Great article.
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


    Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

    Comment


    • #3
      I enjoyed the article as well.

      Scott, as I've said to you previously, your style of writing is quite unique and not many people can duplicate the combination of technical/scientific basis with unbiased personal approach. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work in Musclemag down the road.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

      Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

      2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

      Comment


      • #4
        Fantastic article!

        Thank you for explaining the bad and the ugly as well. I have posted concerns about NMDA conversion with DAA on some of the threads on IM discussing it, but it seemed everyone was clueless on it.


        I bought a bunch of the True Protein DAA test booster, but have yet to take it. I am considering using it during PCT, but am still a bit scared to. It is appealing to me, as I have natty test levels around 400 (before touching AAS) at 30 years old and I don't want to jump on TRT full time just yet.


        Scott, would you (or have you) taken DAA? Do you feel it is safe enough for use at this point? Would you recommend your son take it if he were a grown adult?

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks
          "SET NO LIMITS"

          "When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

          2015 NPC Supplement Express:
          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

          Use Discount Code MMH353..

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fade View Post
            I like your style of writing. You get your point across very well without bashing your science into my skull.

            Great article.
            Thanks, fade. I like to think of it as "the people's science," rather than "my science."

            Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            I enjoyed the article as well.

            Scott, as I've said to you previously, your style of writing is quite unique and not many people can duplicate the combination of technical/scientific basis with unbiased personal approach. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work in Musclemag down the road.
            Thanks, man. I'm hoping that the next one will be helpful as a nice hands-on, lay person's guide to fishing through the science and anecdotal evidence a bit.

            Originally posted by jwbond View Post
            Fantastic article!

            Thank you for explaining the bad and the ugly as well. I have posted concerns about NMDA conversion with DAA on some of the threads on IM discussing it, but it seemed everyone was clueless on it.


            I bought a bunch of the True Protein DAA test booster, but have yet to take it. I am considering using it during PCT, but am still a bit scared to. It is appealing to me, as I have natty test levels around 400 (before touching AAS) at 30 years old and I don't want to jump on TRT full time just yet.


            Scott, would you (or have you) taken DAA? Do you feel it is safe enough for use at this point? Would you recommend your son take it if he were a grown adult?
            I haven't taken DAA yet.

            I would have a lot of questions for my son before I recommended DAA. Things, like, "Who in the hell is your Mom?... "



            Seriously, I'd first want to fish out the reasons for taking it and consider medically approved (and prescribed) use of something like clomiphene, nolvadex or perhaps HCG and/or an aromatase inhibitor as a means of elevating testosterone first.

            The "bad" and "ugly" parts of the article are some real concerns. I don't see anyone dying from using DAA and I've only heard of side effects such as gastro-intenstinal distress, but what's lacking is some more hard evidence like bloodwork measuring the hormones that weren't in the single published study with humans (which I wonder about - maybe there's a follow-up in press?...).

            I've heard many good reports about DAA and supplements like MG's super test booster and this article wasn't about poo-pooing those, but there really is a situation like there was with creatine in it's early years. I'd love to see someone fish out all of these missing details, which I suspect will happen. The problem here is that we're messing around with hormones, not simply supplementing with something that you typically eat in a normal diet (like with creatine), so it will more difficult to get Human Subjects committee approval and the plethora of studies that were possible with creatine won't be with DAA, at least at the same pace, until some of the issues are worked out.

            In essence, I wrote the article because I'm equipped to dig into the existing literature and simply bring to light some of the *potential* issues that won't typically be mentioned by individuals selling DAA. I also wrote it b/c it really does seem like it's got the potential to be one BAD-ASS supplement, as well. Again, like creatine, where there were concerns about turning off endogenous creatine production, permanent creatine receptor downregulation, cramping and muscle tears, dehydration, GI issues, renal pathology, etc., there will be issues with a supplement like DAA which acts in such a fundamental fashion on the function of the endocrine system. That's a pretty damn powerful substance, be it a drug or "supplement" that can affect the levels of so many hormones and so many endocrine glands all at once, so we we've got to treat that with respect, IMO.


            Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
            thanks
            welcome



            -S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

            Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


            www.TrueNutrition.com

            2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

            Comment


            • #7
              Excellent article. Very enjoyable/interesting read.
              My Training Journal

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for sharing, Scott. I was intrigued by the "bad" and the potential for male contraception due to the combination described in the article. Interesting, for sure.

                -slide
                "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

                "Carry 24/7 or guess right."

                "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

                "993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                  Thanks, fade. I like to think of it as "the people's science," rather than "my science."



                  Thanks, man. I'm hoping that the next one will be helpful as a nice hands-on, lay person's guide to fishing through the science and anecdotal evidence a bit.



                  I haven't taken DAA yet.

                  I would have a lot of questions for my son before I recommended DAA. Things, like, "Who in the hell is your Mom?... "



                  Seriously, I'd first want to fish out the reasons for taking it and consider medically approved (and prescribed) use of something like clomiphene, nolvadex or perhaps HCG and/or an aromatase inhibitor as a means of elevating testosterone first.

                  The "bad" and "ugly" parts of the article are some real concerns. I don't see anyone dying from using DAA and I've only heard of side effects such as gastro-intenstinal distress, but what's lacking is some more hard evidence like bloodwork measuring the hormones that weren't in the single published study with humans (which I wonder about - maybe there's a follow-up in press?...).

                  I've heard many good reports about DAA and supplements like MG's super test booster and this article wasn't about poo-pooing those, but there really is a situation like there was with creatine in it's early years. I'd love to see someone fish out all of these missing details, which I suspect will happen. The problem here is that we're messing around with hormones, not simply supplementing with something that you typically eat in a normal diet (like with creatine), so it will more difficult to get Human Subjects committee approval and the plethora of studies that were possible with creatine won't be with DAA, at least at the same pace, until some of the issues are worked out.

                  In essence, I wrote the article because I'm equipped to dig into the existing literature and simply bring to light some of the *potential* issues that won't typically be mentioned by individuals selling DAA. I also wrote it b/c it really does seem like it's got the potential to be one BAD-ASS supplement, as well. Again, like creatine, where there were concerns about turning off endogenous creatine production, permanent creatine receptor downregulation, cramping and muscle tears, dehydration, GI issues, renal pathology, etc., there will be issues with a supplement like DAA which acts in such a fundamental fashion on the function of the endocrine system. That's a pretty damn powerful substance, be it a drug or "supplement" that can affect the levels of so many hormones and so many endocrine glands all at once, so we we've got to treat that with respect, IMO.




                  welcome



                  -S
                  Scott,

                  I can't thank you enough for taking the time to explain this to us all.

                  I pretty much came to the same conclusion, that more research is needed before I take the plunge, but it's nice to have someone with your knowledge agree so I don't get tempted and talk myself into it being 100% safe wo knowing for sure.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great article, Scott. I think your writing is getting better with each one, too.

                    Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                    Seriously, I'd first want to fish out the reasons for taking it and consider medically approved (and prescribed) use of something like clomiphene, nolvadex or perhaps HCG and/or an aromatase inhibitor as a means of elevating testosterone first.
                    What are your thoughts on using Proviron for similar reasons to DAA?
                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...t=AbstractPlus
                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...t=AbstractPlus

                    Those show it had a positive effect in some people, and likely very few negative effects even over long term/high dose use. I actually tried this earlier in the year (3 months proviron only 25-50mg); mood/libido were pretty good and strength was surprisingly high (I was hitting PRs in some stuff). Wish I had got my levels taken at the end of the 3 months now.
                    PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Excellent excellent excellent article....as I expected!

                      JM
                      John Meadows
                      CSCS, CISSN
                      Creator of the Mountain Dog Diet
                      www.mountaindogdiet.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Great informative entertaining read Scott! Using it right for the last month and will use it for another few weeks before I start hitting it hard for spring shows!
                        2014 NPC Mr MN State TBD
                        2012 NPC MN state 40+ 1st and 3rd Hvy *Injury :frusty:
                        2012 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 1st SuperHvy
                        2011 NPC Gopher State 40+ 1st and 2nd Open Hvy.
                        2011 NPC Upper Midwest 40+ 1st and Super Hvy 1st
                        2009 Gopher State 4th Hvy and 4th Masters 40+
                        *11 Natural contest 1992-2000 placed top 4 of all
                        88 Natural Mr MN 2nd Teen
                        88 Gopher State 4th Teen Hvy Div 176lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Great article Scott.

                          I started taking DAA 2 weeks ago and I've developed a lump in my right nipple. It's not visible my looking at my pecs, but it's sore and definitely there. What would you do in my situation? Stop taking it, getting an AI or try to lean out to minimize the estrogenic effects? Or anything else..

                          The good thing is that it's doing something at least, other than 90% of supplements on the market.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Scott,

                            So if I understand the post about your hypothetical son, you would be more likely to recommend that someone take supersupps under medical supervision (prescription) than DAA at this point?

                            If that is correct, I'd assume that is because we "know" the side effects and how to manage them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LuNa23 View Post
                              Excellent article. Very enjoyable/interesting read.
                              Originally posted by slide View Post
                              Thanks for sharing, Scott. I was intrigued by the "bad" and the potential for male contraception due to the combination described in the article. Interesting, for sure.

                              -slide
                              Glad you guys liked it. I don't know that it has potential as a form of male contraceptive, but some of its effects in animals make you wonder.

                              Originally posted by jwbond View Post
                              Scott,

                              I can't thank you enough for taking the time to explain this to us all.

                              I pretty much came to the same conclusion, that more research is needed before I take the plunge, but it's nice to have someone with your knowledge agree so I don't get tempted and talk myself into it being 100% safe wo knowing for sure.
                              Well, nothing is 100% safe (that I can think of at least), but I'm glad I could help out.


                              Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                              Great article, Scott. I think your writing is getting better with each one, too.



                              What are your thoughts on using Proviron for similar reasons to DAA?
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...t=AbstractPlus
                              http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8...t=AbstractPlus

                              Those show it had a positive effect in some people, and likely very few negative effects even over long term/high dose use. I actually tried this earlier in the year (3 months proviron only 25-50mg); mood/libido were pretty good and strength was surprisingly high (I was hitting PRs in some stuff). Wish I had got my levels taken at the end of the 3 months now.
                              RS, thanks for the compliments!

                              I'm not sure what "similar reasons" you mean. Could you be more specific?

                              Originally posted by mountaindog1 View Post
                              Excellent excellent excellent article....as I expected!

                              JM
                              Thanks, John. Means a lot coming from you. (BTW, I haven't looked - did that Q and A I did your site get any feedback?...)


                              Originally posted by CJ Hartley View Post
                              Great informative entertaining read Scott! Using it right for the last month and will use it for another few weeks before I start hitting it hard for spring shows!
                              What do you think of it? Any blood work along with it?...

                              Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
                              Great article Scott.

                              I started taking DAA 2 weeks ago and I've developed a lump in my right nipple. It's not visible my looking at my pecs, but it's sore and definitely there. What would you do in my situation? Stop taking it, getting an AI or try to lean out to minimize the estrogenic effects? Or anything else..

                              The good thing is that it's doing something at least, other than 90% of supplements on the market.

                              Quad, that would depend on the background under which you are taking it, e.g., previous hormone / pro-hormone / DS use, how high your BF is, etc.

                              In the animal research I'm familiar with, it didn't raise estrogen, but did raise progesterone and prolactin. This alone would argue against an anti-aromatase being effective, but the effects of those three hormones synergize in mammary tissue, so something to minimize estrogenic effects might be helpful. (Of course, I'm not going to give you advice on pharmaceutical use...)

                              The DAA seems to taper over a few days (at least as far as testosterone), so if you were to stop now this might help ease your hormones back in to balance. Again, this is all guesswork without blood work.

                              Originally posted by youngbb View Post
                              Scott,

                              So if I understand the post about your hypothetical son, you would be more likely to recommend that someone take supersupps under medical supervision (prescription) than DAA at this point?

                              If that is correct, I'd assume that is because we "know" the side effects and how to manage them.
                              YBB,

                              Your question lacks any context, but all things being equal, I'm for knowing as much as possibly about the effects of any chemical that goes into one's body. (I usually think of "super supplements" as AAS, GH, Insulin, rather than "ancillaries" like clomid, etc. that I mentioned. )

                              The point here that you might be missing is that DAA is not going to compare to taking AAS, I wouldn't imagine, but it obviously has potential as a testosterone booster for natural competitors (unless it gets banned) and in situations where endogenous testosterone is or could be less than ideal, e.g., with andropause or after someone had done a cycle of AAS.

                              -S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

                              Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                              www.TrueNutrition.com

                              2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X