Pulled Ext. Oblique - HOLY OW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled Ext. Oblique - HOLY OW

Hey guys, I think I pulled my external oblique. Woke up monday morning with a tender left side. I thought maybe my sheets wrinkled up under me or something and just irritated it. Flash to today and I've got intermittent needle-like sharp pains in my side from just outside and under my left pec and all down the ribs. Hurts to stretch away from it and hurts to flex it. Not debilitating by any means, but it makes me pause for a second and wince.

Anyway I'm on a break until Tuesday anyway because of the holiday weekend, but do any of you have advice on how to speed up recovery for this?

I think it may have happened while going for higher numbers on the nautilus. There's a tendency to use some abs in the motion when I'm struggling for those last reps.
    -Tan

Cliffs: Pulled external oblique doing nautilus pullovers. Tips on recovery would be appreciated.
    Wanna save 5% on your trueprotein orders? Use my code! CTN001

Originally posted by chris.tan View Post
    Hey guys, I think I pulled my external oblique. Woke up monday morning with a tender left side. I thought maybe my sheets wrinkled up under me or something and just irritated it. Flash to today and I've got intermittent needle-like sharp pains in my side from just outside and under my left pec and all down the ribs. Hurts to stretch away from it and hurts to flex it. Not debilitating by any means, but it makes me pause for a second and wince.

Anyway I'm on a break until Tuesday anyway because of the holiday weekend, but do any of you have advice on how to speed up recovery for this?

I think it may have happened while going for higher numbers on the nautilus. There's a tendency to use some abs in the motion when I'm struggling for those last reps.
    -Tan

Cliffs: Pulled external oblique doing nautilus pullovers. Tips on recovery would be appreciated.
    ICE& ibuprophen
    Overtraining should be one of the lowest concerns. You should focus on optimal training.
    -John Ceasar

Comment

I know Scott tore his oblique once, so I'm sure he'll chime in.

Comment

Did you feel it while lifting?... (Mine was actually an avulsion fracture followed by a complete muscle tear. This sounds like a muscle strain.)

I'd do light stretching avoid any heavy lifting that would worsen things.

Is it swollen?... Any blood coming to the surface?... Is it hot to the touch?...

-S
        The Book Has Arrived!
        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Homonunculus paused mid-set, acknowleged the fracture/tear, then continued on to finish his set. He'd be damned if he was gonna let that log book win.

Comment

Chris,
            I think we are going to have to put you out of your misery. I'm sorry, but it's the humane thing to do. Seriously, though sorry for the string of bag luck.
            1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
            2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
            2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
            2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
            2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
            2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

It might help to get a few ace bandages and wrap your torso around the area of the pull. A little support might help you move while lessening the amount of work the muscle has to do.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                It might help to get a few ace bandages and wrap your torso around the area of the pull. A little support might help you move while lessening the amount of work the muscle has to do.
                RICE!

Rest (no lifting)
                Ice (frozen water molecules)
                Compression (ace bandages)
                Elevation (...uhh...sleep on the side that's not injured?)
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by BC1 View Post
                  Homonunculus paused mid-set, acknowleged the fracture/tear, then continued on to finish his set. He'd be damned if he was gonna let that log book win.
                  LOL - Actually, I felt it when I picked the weight up and then just held my breath the rest of the set and finished up, beating the log book, of course.

-S
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

He so did! I rememebr that. Wasn't it while we were doing T-bar Rows in the corner?

-DH
                    www.toopumped.net
                    7 X IFBB champion

"Do something productive, instead of talking about those that are"
                    -DH

Comment

Originally posted by ProDH View Post
                      He so did! I rememebr that. Wasn't it while we were doing T-bar Rows in the corner?

-DH
                      Yep! That last day when Franco was supposed to be there (Franco!!!!!!! LOL). It's up on youtube somewhere....

-S
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...
                      X