Anyone have experience with GABA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have experience with GABA?

I normally only stick to the basic supplement staples like whey, creatine, caffeine, bcaa's but I have been researching a bunch and wondering what kind of experience people have had with them.

I found this study showing it caused 4x the GH at rest then placebo after a 3g dose and 2x the GH increase during training with same dose.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18091016

Growth hormone isoform responses to GABA ingestion at rest and after exercise.
    Powers ME, Yarrow JF, McCoy SC, Borst SE.SourceDivision of Athletic Training, Shenendoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

Oral administration of the amino acid/inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) reportedly elevates resting serum growth hormone (GH) concentrations.

PURPOSE: To test the hypothesis that GABA ingestion stimulates immunoreactive GH (irGH) and immunofunctional GH (ifGH) release at rest and that GABA augments the resistance exercise-induced irGH/ifGH responses.

METHODS: Eleven resistance-trained men (18-30 yr) participated in this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. During each experimental bout, participants ingested either 3 g of GABA or sucrose placebo (P), followed either by resting or resistance exercise sessions. Fasting venous blood samples were acquired immediately before and at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, and 90 min after GABA or P ingestion and were assayed for irGH and ifGH.

RESULTS: At rest, GABA ingestion elevated both irGH and ifGH compared with placebo. Specifically, peak concentrations of both hormones were elevated by about 400%, and the area under the curve (AUC) was elevated by about 375% (P < 0.05). Resistance exercise (EX-P) elevated time-point (15-60 min) irGH and ifGH concentrations compared with rest (P < 0.05). The combination of GABA and resistance exercise (EX-GABA) also elevated the peak, AUC, and the 15- to 60-min time-point irGH and ifGH responses compared with resting conditions (P < 0.05). Additionally, 200% greater irGH (P < 0.01) and 175% greater ifGH (P < 0.05) concentrations were observed in the EX-GABA than in the EX-P condition, 30 min after ingestion. GABA ingestion did not alter the irGH to ifGH ratio, and, under all conditions, ifGH represented approximately 50% of irGH.

CONCLUSIONS: Our data indicate that ingested GABA elevates resting and postexercise irGH and ifGH concentrations. The extent to which irGH/ifGH secretion contributes to skeletal muscle hypertrophy is unknown, although augmenting the postexercise irGH/ifGH response may improve resistance training-induced muscular adaptations.

PMID:18091016[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I am thinking of using it either at night before bed with my Zinc and Magnesium or in the middle of a workout.

Anyone have any experience with it?
    If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
    http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
    2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
    2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

I have used it but I'm not sure if it is anything you would ever notice a difference in taking; I didn't. One thing I noticed is that if I got over 2g at a time, I had breathing troubles for a few minutes afterwards (which sucks when you are trying to fall asleep)
    2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Weird, vivid dreams, didn't like that so quit...

Comment

Shortness of breath for a few seconds because its relaxes your nervous system (something like that!lol) Anyways it does lead to deeper sleep for sure. That in turns means better recovery. It think its priceless just for that alone.
        Carlos Rodriguez
        IFBB Pro League BBer
        IFBB Pro League Judge
        NPC National Judge
        As iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17
        www.facebook.com/PastorPump

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

Originally posted by pastorpump View Post
          Shortness of breath for a few seconds because its relaxes your nervous system (something like that!lol) Anyways it does lead to deeper sleep for sure. That in turns means better recovery. It think its priceless just for that alone.
          From my reading people seem concerned to be using it constantly because it messes with neurotransmitters.

Do you use it only at night before bed or also close to workouts?

Do you cycle it on and off? Some people seem to be using it 5 days per week, weekends off.

Comment

I love GABA and used to use it religiously for sleep. 5g before bed and you've never slept better.

now that I'm thinking about it, I might have to get some more, lol
            CEO of Morphogen Nutrition
            MorphogenNutrition.com

2012 NPC Natural Ohio
            2010 NGA Pro Universe
            2010 NPC Monster Mash
            2010 ONBF Natural Fall Classic
            2010 NPC Natural Pennsylvania
            2010 NPC Natural Northern USA
            2010 INBF Cardinal Classic
            2008 NPC Natural Northern USA
            2008 NPC Ohio State
            2004 NPC Natural Northern USA

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
              Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

From my reading people seem concerned to be using it constantly because it messes with neurotransmitters.

Do you use it only at night before bed or also close to workouts?

Do you cycle it on and off? Some people seem to be using it 5 days per week, weekends off.
              It is a neurotransmitter. Well, it's not but it acts like one. The GABAnergic system is what's responsible for relief of anxiety and controlling the parasympathetic nervous system.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

Good stuff.
                International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

I use it only before bed. About 5x a week. For $15 a month its worth it.
                  Carlos Rodriguez
                  IFBB Pro League BBer
                  IFBB Pro League Judge
                  NPC National Judge
                  As iron sharpens iron so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. Prov 27:17
                  www.facebook.com/PastorPump

Comment

I use it every night before bed. Allows me to get incredible sleep which I fell also helps my recovery. I take it w/ ZMA. Even though I use it every night, if I do happen to miss a night I still sleep just fine so I haven't developed any type of dependency on it. I love the stuff and it's cheap!

Use the discount code "SPD365" for 5% off your orders at www.trueprotein.com; Order 16lbs or more, and you get 10% off!!!

Comment

I was using it in Somalyze from Species Nutrition. I get extremely restless and uncomfortable and can't relax and never fall into a deep sleep. My buddy of mine who just finished up his RD schooling said they were doing some research and if I can remember what he told me correctly, it was something like some people need different amounts and if you don't get enough, some GABA will stimulate the receptors but not enough to actually get the effects of what GABA is supposed to do. Something like that. So some people have to take a lot more. I think it has something to do with the ability in different people for the GABA to pass through the blood brain barrier. Hope I didn't explain it wrong. Anyways, my experience with it kind of sucked, but never tried really ramping up the dose.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                        It is a neurotransmitter. Well, it's not but it acts like one. The GABAnergic system is what's responsible for relief of anxiety and controlling the parasympathetic nervous system.
                        Sammich, I admit that I have done some research but I don't understand this stuff well.

Have you used it or would you use it?

Any comments on Mucuna or Levadopa?

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Gregoire View Post
                          Sammich, I admit that I have done some research but I don't understand this stuff well.

Have you used it or would you use it?

Any comments on Mucuna or Levadopa?
                          Yeah, I've used it several times. I don't think that straight GABA powder is any sort of problem.

I've never heard of Mucuna, and you do not want to mess with Levodopa (which you shouldn't be able to get OTC anyway).
                          kind of a douche

Comment

[QUOTE=Sammich;898019]It is a neurotransmitter. Well, it's not but it acts like one. The GABAnergic system is what's responsible for relief of anxiety and controlling the parasympathetic nervous system.[/QUOTE
                            Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                            Yeah, I've used it several times. I don't think that straight GABA powder is any sort of problem.

I've never heard of Mucuna, and you do not want to mess with Levodopa (which you shouldn't be able to get OTC anyway).
                            Thanks I will order some from True Protein and give it a try.

Mucuna pruriens is an herb that contains among other things levadopa, seratonin, etc..

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/dopamuc.html

Check out this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18973898

---------------------------------------
                            Mucuna pruriens improves male fertility by its action on the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis.
                            Shukla KK, Mahdi AA, Ahmad MK, Shankhwar SN, Rajender S, Jaiswar SP.
                            Source

Department of Biochemistry, C.S.M. Medical University, Lucknow, India.
                            Abstract
                            OBJECTIVE:

To understand the mechanism of action of Mucuna pruriens in the treatment of male infertility.
                            DESIGN:

Prospective study.
                            SETTING:

Departments of Biochemistry, Urology, and Obstetrics and Gynecology, C.S.M. Medical University, Lucknow, India.
                            PATIENT(S):

Seventy-five normal healthy fertile men (controls) and 75 men undergoing infertility screening.
                            INTERVENTION(S):

High-performance liquid chromatography assay for quantitation of dopa, adrenaline, and noradrenaline in seminal plasma and blood. Estimation by RIA of hormonal parameters in blood plasma, namely T, LH, FSH, and PRL.
                            MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):

Before and after treatment, serum T, LH, FSH, PRL, dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline in seminal and blood plasma were measured.
                            RESULT(S):

Decreased sperm count and motility were seen in infertile subjects. Serum T and LH levels, as well as seminal plasma and blood levels of dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline were also decreased in all groups of infertile men. This was accompanied by significantly increased serum FSH and PRL levels in oligozoospermic subjects. Treatment with M. pruriens significantly improved T, LH, dopamine, adrenaline, and noradrenaline levels in infertile men and reduced levels of FSH and PRL. Sperm count and motility were significantly recovered in infertile men after treatment.
                            CONCLUSION(S):

Treatment with M. pruriens regulates steroidogenesis and improves semen quality in infertile men.
                            ---------------------------------------

I just found out that Mucuna is a schedule F controlled substance in Canada so I won't be importing any.

Comment

I'm not going to go into it, but there are some SERIOUS problems with that study. That is a HORRIBLE conclusion that does not follow from the premises (which are themselves flawed). I wouldn't trust that at all.

Also, I'm always very wary of herbal products. They're never standardized, so you never know what chemicals you're getting in what concentrations. It's like pot -- sometimes it's stronger than others depending on where it's from, how old it is, etc. There's a reason modern medicine extracts the active chemicals and processes them.
                              kind of a douche

Comment

Working...
                              X