BCAA use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BCAA use

I'm thinking of getting some BCAA. I have read that it helps with soreness and helps with losing fat.

Few questions:

4/1/1 or 2/1/1 ?
    For trying to gain lean mass, how should i utilize it and in what amounts? (read many conflicting ideas here)

For trying to lose fat, how would I utilize it and in what amounts? (so far I've just seen to do morning fasted cardio with bcaa, but what if I cannot do fasted and must do it during day, or only have 4/1/1, etc)

Thanks.

If you are referring to the ratio of leucine/isoleucine/valine, then go with the 2/1/1... 4/1/1 just seems excessive and likely will cost you more, and i'm not aware of anything showing that there is any benefit beyond the standard 2/1/1 ration. BCAA's are typically best utilized during periods of fasting (even though technically it's not a fast if your ingesting BCAA's), during cardio, during your workout, or post workout to help preserve muscle mass. Amounts needed will vary depending on your size, and amounts of protein/meal frequency you are currently eating.

BCAA's will not help you lose more fat though... only help with recovery (maybe), and help to preserve muscle when dieting.
    Last edited by bbjeff86; 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM.
    -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
    -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
    198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
    -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
    198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
    -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
    198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Save your money and buy more steak.
      "You can't be the fastest or the strongest but you can always work the hardest." - Jim Wendler

"Failing is nothing more than inexperience" - Jim Wendler

"You won't have to rotate squats and deadlifts, but do them both and thus get more fucking awesome every week" - cooltom

Comment

^ I agree with this guy!
        SAVE 5% on your next TrueProtein.com order by using the discount code: LNG403

Comment

Originally posted by LandryP View Post
          Save your money and buy more steak.
          any reason for this?

Comment

Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
            any reason for this?
            Uhhhh...cuz it tastes good:der:
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I'm a minimal supplements type guy so haven't really kept up with various supplements, but curious to hear what the latest consensus is with BCAAs? Not needed? I remember a few years back Justin Harris (Troponin)really liked it for his clients during pre/during/post workout nutrition.
              SABBA Novice - 7th Welterweight

Comment

Originally posted by Allan View Post
                I remember a few years back Justin Harris (Troponin)really liked it for his clients during pre/during/post workout nutrition.
                I think this is the only time that there is any merit to their use since they are so quickly digested/absorbed. There is a thread on here somewhere where homon has an article linked talking about the benefit of pre/peri/post workout nutrition using BCAA or whey (I prefer for BCAA because of the speed and already broken down form...).

The only other time I see need or merit for them would be during times of "fasting"... just to be cautionary/safe in preventing any possible muscle loss.

I know Layne Norton advocates larger gaps between meals, with BCAA taken between meals... but to me that seems to be overkill, and I don't think the research backing that practice up is concrete enough to justify the high cost.
                -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

Comment

Working...
                X