Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking back at bodybuilding after my show.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back at bodybuilding after my show.

I just finished up doing the Europa bodybuilding show today - and there's a lot of things that I've come to realize throughout this entire prep.

I love the training, dieting, consistency, etc. that all come with bodybuilding and getting into shape for a show. That last month or even two months out from the show SUCK and make the show almost not worth it. In the end you realize that you have to push yourself harder and harder to make the conditioning that you want, and so you deal with it. For me, I become a lazy sack of shit not wanting to get off the couch, mow the lawn, do the dishes, help with any housework, or even go give my dogs some food during this time. In all honesty with how hard I have to push myself for conditioning - it wasn't worth it this time.

The day of the show really is not any fun at all. The tanning, shaving, prepping, etc that you have to do for the show is very tedious and makes me hate it. Staying tanned and having to get that shit all over my clothes, sheets, makes me hate it even more. I also like showering, so that puts a nix on that whole tanning aspect of it.

The way I look at it - I busted my ass for 16-20 weeks with countless cardio, strict-ass dieting, etc.. for approximately 3 minutes on stage. If I make the top 3, I might get a total of 5 minutes on stage. In the end, it comes down to what the judges THINK of you, not necessarily how you performed. I think this is my biggest problem with the sport. I am the type of person that performs in the clutch. Sports, school, etc.. when the shit hits the fan and I have to perform - everything clicks and I get 10x more focused. There is nothing like that in bodybuilding. There are no game-winning shots, acts of pure adrenaline, or even just pure luck that allow me to do something I wouldn't normally do.

I hope I don't come across the wrong way. I was VERY VERY happy with my showing at this last show. I busted my ass, I stuck to the diet 100%, and I showed up and DESTROYED my last showing ten-fold. I looked AWESOME. That was good enough for me. To be honest, if I would have dieted down for that and not even done the show - I wouldn't have even paid it any mind. It wouldn't have mattered to me if I didn't get up on stage or show off my body for that one day.

It is the journey that is fun, not the show. I LOVE the preparation for it, but damn do I HATE the actual show day.

Oh and I learn more and more that I also hate the bodybuilding competitors. Some are great guys, but there are WAY too many people that are so ridiculously insecure that they make up for it by being over the top douche's half the time. I guess that is part of bodybuilding, we do it to show off our body's - so it attracts the people that only have that part to show off.

So - I think it's time for me to turn my focus a different direction for now. I may come back and visit bodybuilding every now and then - but I don't think I'll be doing shows every few years like I have been. I like competitive sports, I like having something to train for, but I also like to have ENERGY when I'm training and I like to be able to perform in the clutch and have adrenaline help fuel me when the shit hits the fan.

I am thinking I may give some STRONGMAN training a go - but still eat mostly like a bodybuilder and stay relatively leaner than I normally do.

I hope I didn't come across as negative, spiteful, or even like I feel I got cheated. I didn't. There were a lot of great guys that did the show and the ones that got top 3 deserved it. I think I just hit a point where the show wasn't important to me at all and I really didn't even want to do it.

Here are the pics from the show for anyone curious: http://pics.musculardevelopment.com/...eventcode=1474
    Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
    FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
    www.316fit.com
    Email: [email protected]

1) Excellent job. You looked damn good. (just a little homo)

2) Come join me on the dark side of powerlifting... Give in to your anger...
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
      1) Excellent job. You looked damn good. (just a little homo)

2) Come join me on the dark side of powerlifting... Give in to your anger...
      Thanks man.. I really busted my ass and I for damn sure can tell too. Lost a little size on my legs from dieting down, but never been able to see so much definition. It'll come back fairly easy.

As for powerlifting.. I'll think about it. Right now I'm not sure how I'm going to go. I know I like to train and stay fit, and move some heavy shit.. So from there we'll see what happens.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Originally posted by fade View Post
        Thanks man.. I really busted my ass and I for damn sure can tell too. Lost a little size on my legs from dieting down, but never been able to see so much definition. It'll come back fairly easy.

As for powerlifting.. I'll think about it. Right now I'm not sure how I'm going to go. I know I like to train and stay fit, and move some heavy shit.. So from there we'll see what happens.
        Hey, that's why I do it. Getting stronger and moving heavy shit is fun. Doing (the right) meets is fun. So there ya go.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

You look fantastic....Props for suffering thru the last hard weeks. I don't doubt that whether you go into powerlifting or strongman, you will be successful. You are a very disciplined and driven young guy, and that speaks volumes about a person. I know what I was doing when I was your age, and being disciplined wasn't it...lol. Good luck with whatever route you take, although I don't think you'll be needing it. Great job with the prep!
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

i posted this 6/5/11....thought you migh t enjoy it:

1) i consider myself a relatively smart guy but the older i get the tougher it is for me to justify (to myself) the time required to compete, Ie-training 2x day, dieting, posing practice etc. Especially when i think of where else i could be spending my time extra time w/my daughter, extra time at work,teach another class @ the university etc.
            2) even if i could do it in a less time-intensive way i really only know one way to prep: 100% balls out.
            3) I love the rigor of dieting and spartan mindest during prep. Yes you heard right: ilove dieting. However i dont love theday of the show as much as i used to. I love seein my old rivals and gym buddies. But the "underwear-dancing/beauty pageant" aspect to BB isnt the coolest thing in the universe.
            4) Im at an age where i want to set a foundation of strength to carry me into the next phase of my life.
            5) i miss being strong. Theres a few exercise i never got good at that i want to (standing military press) and a few i was good at that i want to be good at again (dips, chins, squats, deads)
            6) I have been readign about the guys frm the 40's and 50's who saw no distinction between looking good and being strong. It was all one inter-related sport to them. Guys like Reg Park, Marvin Eder, John Grimek etc....these were guys were strong as sh** and looked awesome.
            7) Finally, i grew up as an athlete (soccer, track, football, volleyball) and when i go watch PL or SM i tottally feel like im at sporting event. Theres a level of "coolness/manly-ness" that i dont get from BB.

dotn get me wrong i still love BB but for the foreseeable future its on the back-burner
            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
            17 AAU Super Total
            '16-AAU Hi
            '15-USPA Metro
            '15-USPA State
            '15-AAU HI
            '14-AAU HI
            '14-USPA Metro
            '14-WABDL Sonny's
            '14-USPA State
            '14-HI Strongman
            '13-USPA
            '13-WABDL Sonny's
            '13-USPA State
            '13-AAU HI
            '11-USPA Metro
            '10-NPC Stingrey
            '09-NPC Islands
            '09-NPC Stingrey
            '09-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA IronWorks
            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
            '01-ABA Olympia
            '01-ABA Islands
            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
            '00-INBF Musclefest
            '98-NGA Ill
            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

You looked great bro. Props to all the hard work and the success. I am sure you will succeed in whatever it is you may do. Good luck.

Comment

You look great Fade! Congrads on your showing, and more important on putting in the effort and the sacrifice. I totally agree with you. Although part of me loves bb'ing, the older I get the more I dislike aspects of it too. In addition to being a little weird, I feel the way training is geared lends to structural/functional dysfunction by many of the Western bb'ing style programs that focus on isolation & hypertrophy over all else. Anyways, great work bro & good luck with your training & competition endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                  You look fantastic....Props for suffering thru the last hard weeks. I don't doubt that whether you go into powerlifting or strongman, you will be successful. You are a very disciplined and driven young guy, and that speaks volumes about a person. I know what I was doing when I was your age, and being disciplined wasn't it...lol. Good luck with whatever route you take, although I don't think you'll be needing it. Great job with the prep!
                  I really appreciate the kind words man. I try to do my best with what I've got, but I don't think I'm anything special. I guess I wouldn't call it discipline when you enjoy doing it.. Discipline is what I don't have when it comes to something like school work (any one reason I'm not in school anymore).. haha

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                  i posted this 6/5/11....thought you migh t enjoy it:

1) i consider myself a relatively smart guy but the older i get the tougher it is for me to justify (to myself) the time required to compete, Ie-training 2x day, dieting, posing practice etc. Especially when i think of where else i could be spending my time extra time w/my daughter, extra time at work,teach another class @ the university etc.
                  2) even if i could do it in a less time-intensive way i really only know one way to prep: 100% balls out.
                  3) I love the rigor of dieting and spartan mindest during prep. Yes you heard right: ilove dieting. However i dont love theday of the show as much as i used to. I love seein my old rivals and gym buddies. But the "underwear-dancing/beauty pageant" aspect to BB isnt the coolest thing in the universe.
                  4) Im at an age where i want to set a foundation of strength to carry me into the next phase of my life.
                  5) i miss being strong. Theres a few exercise i never got good at that i want to (standing military press) and a few i was good at that i want to be good at again (dips, chins, squats, deads)
                  6) I have been readign about the guys frm the 40's and 50's who saw no distinction between looking good and being strong. It was all one inter-related sport to them. Guys like Reg Park, Marvin Eder, John Grimek etc....these were guys were strong as sh** and looked awesome.
                  7) Finally, i grew up as an athlete (soccer, track, football, volleyball) and when i go watch PL or SM i tottally feel like im at sporting event. Theres a level of "coolness/manly-ness" that i dont get from BB.

dotn get me wrong i still love BB but for the foreseeable future its on the back-burner
                  100% agree with your post. The shows really aren't that much fun and half the time we diet away our strength and our size just to get down to where our hamstrings have more striations in them - rather than doing something more based off of strength and size. I have put bodybuilding on the back burner as well, but I may come back and revisit it in a few years. Who knows.

Originally posted by johnnieo View Post
                  You looked great bro. Props to all the hard work and the success. I am sure you will succeed in whatever it is you may do. Good luck.
                  Thanks bud, appreciate it.

Originally posted by Knickerbocker24 View Post
                  You look great Fade! Congrads on your showing, and more important on putting in the effort and the sacrifice. I totally agree with you. Although part of me loves bb'ing, the older I get the more I dislike aspects of it too. In addition to being a little weird, I feel the way training is geared lends to structural/functional dysfunction by many of the Western bb'ing style programs that focus on isolation & hypertrophy over all else. Anyways, great work bro & good luck with your training & competition endeavors.
                  Good points and thanks for the compliments. I'm going to focus on what I love about lifting weights and everything for the next few years. I had a lot of fun training strongman back when I tried it out - so I may actually enjoy that quite a bit as well.

www.316fit.com

Comment

Sounds like you really discovered so much about yourself. It's always about the journey. Thanks for sharing that. Best of luck in your next focus...which should be powerlifting.
                    International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                    Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Tbh this is about exactly how I feel after every show I do..... Think this is why I've only competed every other year since 02. Honestly this is the first year I've actually had fun at the actual show....actually met some nice guys....but yeah bb can definitely attract some self absorbed douches..... Especially when u get to some of these more competetive regional shows where u have guys that are trying to turn pro..... Plus I'm a fat boy at heart so I hate dieting I like eating big and living heavy

Comment

Fade-

im positive you would have come to this conclusion regardless of your placing (for example if you won your class)
                        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                        17 AAU Super Total
                        '16-AAU Hi
                        '15-USPA Metro
                        '15-USPA State
                        '15-AAU HI
                        '14-AAU HI
                        '14-USPA Metro
                        '14-WABDL Sonny's
                        '14-USPA State
                        '14-HI Strongman
                        '13-USPA
                        '13-WABDL Sonny's
                        '13-USPA State
                        '13-AAU HI
                        '11-USPA Metro
                        '10-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-NPC Islands
                        '09-NPC Stingrey
                        '09-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA Islands
                        '02-ABA IronWorks
                        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                        '01-ABA Olympia
                        '01-ABA Islands
                        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                        '00-INBF Musclefest
                        '98-NGA Ill
                        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

@ trucelt..... For me it is all about being my previous best..... But it can make it a lot tougher to swallow when you don't place how you would have liked or at all ..... It all seems so anticlimactic..... At least for me

Comment

1) YOu looked great and it is the journey
                            2) I think you would kick some serious ass on the platform & strongman, you can really do both but be great at one of them. I truly enjoy the powerlifting and the people in it, the comradery if you will.

Good job!
                            For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Fade you looked great and I think you will be a great asset to cross fit if you leave BB, THAT WAS DEF A JOKE.

I also think like trucelit, it must be a sport for me not just the look good part. I am a NATTY so I researched max lifts from other NATTy fellows in the past. I started with SANDOW and put up his lifts, when I beat them I ticked them off, wrote the date and moved on. I want to look good but lift heavy shit and be a functional person.
                              "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                              Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                              'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                              ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
                              X