Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra clothes for cardio?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Extra clothes for cardio?

    Just thinking...
    Is it beneficial to wear extra layers of clothes when doing cardio to increase body heat? Will the extra body temp promote any extra fat burning or is it just going to make you sweat more?

    Most anytime you see the "pro's" doing cardio they are always wearing sweats.
    Bryan


    Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

  • #2
    I have never seen a real study done on wearing extra clothes and increased body heat to generate a greater thermic effect but I have read about individuals who use those slimming belt and even weight belts while doing cardio to increase heat and help shed excess water. Some claim that this has helped them by making their bodies warmer thus enabling them to burn fat faster.

    Personally, after wrestling several years and doing cardio in sweat suits every day, I don't want to do anything to bring back those memories.

    IMO, I honestly don't think this will increase your core temperature enough to make a significant difference. I'd love to hear from guys who have used such strategies.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

    Comment


    • #3
      I saw something from Ohio State Univ. that said that the only effect wearing extra clothing would have is to lose water weight. Didn't see the specific study but that's what they published as their results

      Comment


      • #4
        I've always thought, but don't know if it would be correct, that extra clothes would keep the areas of "stubborn fat," that is, the ones with higher alpha receptors, warm. Keeping those areas warm would increase blood flow which is important for lipolysis. That is my understanding behind why yohimbine works, it increases blood flow to the high alpha receptor, stubborn fat areas. At least thats something I took away from Lyle McDonald's book. My thinking was that clothes would also facilitate this. Because of my thought on this, I have recently been pulling my underwear and shorts way up high to keep my lower belly and back fat covered and warm haha. You can actually feel the areas that are considered stubborn fat stay cooler to the touch when you are working up a sweat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SNRose07 View Post
          I've always thought, but don't know if it would be correct, that extra clothes would keep the areas of "stubborn fat," that is, the ones with higher alpha receptors, warm. Keeping those areas warm would increase blood flow which is important for lipolysis. That is my understanding behind why yohimbine works, it increases blood flow to the high alpha receptor, stubborn fat areas. At least thats something I took away from Lyle McDonald's book. My thinking was that clothes would also facilitate this. Because of my thought on this, I have recently been pulling my underwear and shorts way up high to keep my lower belly and back fat covered and warm haha. You can actually feel the areas that are considered stubborn fat stay cooler to the touch when you are working up a sweat.
          The reason they stay cooler is because adipose tissue is not very vascular at all. It doesn't get nearly the amount of blood to it that muscle does.

          Fat burning has nothing to do with outside heat. All that is happening is the body responding to higher energy demands. If anything, cardio would be more efficient when done in a VERY cold room, because then you have to generate heat to stay warm, necessitating more energy production from mobilization of fat stores.
          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
          kind of a douche

          Comment


          • #6
            ^^^^^^Haha, Urkell on the treadmill!! ! !
            2010 NPC North Star

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sammich View Post
              The reason they stay cooler is because adipose tissue is not very vascular at all. It doesn't get nearly the amount of blood to it that muscle does.

              Fat burning has nothing to do with outside heat. All that is happening is the body responding to higher energy demands. If anything, cardio would be more efficient when done in a VERY cold room, because then you have to generate heat to stay warm, necessitating more energy production from mobilization of fat stores.
              I agree with tossing the whole idea of trying to increase heat and therefor fat loss by wearing extra clothing, but what do you think of the idea of wearing the clothing to warm up the sites of poor vascularity trying to increase blood flow; expanding the blood vessels that are in there to maximize whatever blood flow you can? It kind of made sense to me, I just didn't know if anyone else thought that this might be on the right track or not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah I don't think pros cover up to create a better thermic effect. I think it's more along the lines of keeping the joints warm and covering up the "final product" before show time.

                If anything, staying TOO covered up may hinder performance...you'll hate cardio much sooner because you're uncomfortably hot. I know I would.
                Max Muscle
                5020 Katella Ave.
                Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SNRose07 View Post
                  I've always thought, but don't know if it would be correct, that extra clothes would keep the areas of "stubborn fat," that is, the ones with higher alpha receptors, warm. Keeping those areas warm would increase blood flow which is important for lipolysis. That is my understanding behind why yohimbine works, it increases blood flow to the high alpha receptor, stubborn fat areas. At least thats something I took away from Lyle McDonald's book. My thinking was that clothes would also facilitate this. Because of my thought on this, I have recently been pulling my underwear and shorts way up high to keep my lower belly and back fat covered and warm haha. You can actually feel the areas that are considered stubborn fat stay cooler to the touch when you are working up a sweat.
                  This was sort of my thought as well. I do my cardio at home and started just wearing shorts and no shirt. The lower back and love handle area gets relly cold when no shirt is worn. Completely opposite when I wear a shirt.

                  It was just a thought
                  Bryan


                  Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sammich is right (for once )

                    I sometimes like covering up during cardio to stay warm as there's usually a fan blowing near the cardio machines and once my sweat starts rapidly evaporating, I get chilly.

                    I also throw on a hoody sometimes because it feels good to break a nice sweat.
                    True Protein Discount Code: AWC155

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BryanB View Post
                      This was sort of my thought as well. I do my cardio at home and started just wearing shorts and no shirt. The lower back and love handle area gets relly cold when no shirt is worn. Completely opposite when I wear a shirt.

                      It was just a thought
                      That's exactly what got me thinking about it... plus reading how yohimbine works. Since heating an area increases the flow of blood to that area, I figured taking yohimbine AND wearing something to keep the area worm would be a double wammy for increasing blood flow to that area and help facilitate lipolysis. URKEL STYLE!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sammich View Post

                        If anything, cardio would be more efficient when done in a VERY cold room, because then you have to generate heat to stay warm, necessitating more energy production from mobilization of fat stores.
                        THIS!

                        My wife's professor an experiment in our University's climate chamber where a student sat in the chamber in like 50 degree temperature in just shorts... after about 5 minutes he started shivering so violently that it looked like he was convulsing...

                        There is a video of it somewhere that perhaps I will try to find later.

                        That being said I think aside from water loss temperature is pretty irrelevant when talking about exercising in it and calories burnt.
                        -2013 USAPL Michigan State Championships 198lb Raw Mens Open, 1st Place (1217 total)
                        -2013 USAPL Texas State Championships
                        198 Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1216 total)
                        -2012 USAPL Longhorn Open
                        198 Raw Mens Open, 1st place (1177 total)
                        -2012 USAPL Aggie Showdown
                        198lb Raw Mens Open, 2nd place (1137 total)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Also think about this: If ambient heat made you burn fat, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the South would be skinny. And I think if there's one thing you should think of when you think of the Southern US, it's

                          FAAAAAAAAAAAAT
                          Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                          kind of a douche

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great point

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                              Also think about this: If ambient heat made you burn fat, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the South would be skinny. And I think if there's one thing you should think of when you think of the Southern US, it's

                              FAAAAAAAAAAAAT
                              So true.. Went to dallas.. you guys are just a little bit grosser than we are in the fatty department.
                              Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer


                              Instagram: @jaredragsdale
                              FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
                              www.316fit.com
                              Email: [email protected]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X