Clear All

• mister69
    replied
    Great info on here.

The electric stim on my lower back was great

Leave a comment:

• PTAaron
    replied
    To answer the original question of this thread: Best thing for muscle spasms in my experience is ultrasound/estim combo. You set it up so that you use one stim pad and the ultrasound head is the other half of the circuit. You turn up the intensity of the e-stim until you get a visible contraction in the area you are moving the ultrasound head over - ultrasound settings would be as determined by your clinician. This works VERY well for getting rid of spasms.

Holding ultrasound in one spot for 5-7 minutes? Seriously?

==========

For the new question: You need a specific machine set up for bone healing for what you are looking for, and it is mostly used for non-union fractures. Off the top of my head I have no idea where you would get one of those without having it prescribed by a physician. Let me rephrase that - you can probably find one online... but I don't know where you would find a LEGITIMATE machine that is safe.

Leave a comment:

• thedunhill225
    replied
    I have an electric stim unit for my back. It's whatever the strongest kind is, I'm lazy but ill check when I go upstairs, if I remember rt it has "tens" in it cause the ins will cover it but it has several settings. I know what to set it on .... Just don't remember what it says when I do.
    It works for pain but doesn't DO anything to make anything better. It basically scrambles the pain signal so it does relieve pain BUT it doesn't "heal" anything.

Leave a comment:

• SDMF
    replied
    Does anyone know of a good home e-stim machine? I have a bone contusion in my right knee, and I read that e-stim was good for healing that.

Leave a comment:

• Pumpo
    replied
    Ultrasound

Tell the therapist to do 50% pulsed at a low intensity(.08) w/cm2, and hold it directly on the trigger point for 5-7 minutes. This is very effective on upper traps spasms, the pulsed and low intensity will not burn you. Follow that with a stripping massage then ice it for 15 minutes, call me in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    I have a tens unit. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• olinerules87
    replied
    Originally posted by olinerules87 View Post
    As said already ultrasound may heat the muscle allowing it to be stretched a little more. E-stim can be used on the traps producing autogenic inhibition relaxing the muscle as well.

But in this case soft tissue work with a tennis ball sounds like the best and easiest option to me.
    this guy has some good soft tissue work advice and techniques. don't know if he ever specifically addressed the traps but take a look http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit#g/u

Leave a comment:

• olinerules87
    replied
    Originally posted by SDMF View Post
    Right now I'm dealing with some deep muscle tightness in my right trap.
    As said already ultrasound may heat the muscle allowing it to be stretched a little more. E-stim can be used on the traps producing autogenic inhibition relaxing the muscle as well.

But in this case soft tissue work with a tennis ball sounds like the best and easiest option to me.

Leave a comment:

• shankuan
    replied
    Originally posted by Future View Post
    Google tennis ball therapy.
    ^^^^^^ This!! sure as hell helped MY tight traps!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    Google tennis ball therapy.

Leave a comment:

• Ajweins
    replied
    I've mostly just been doing massage and stretching anyway. My chiropractor has both machines, so I was wondering if I should try to get on one when I'm there.

You think ultrasound is worthless? My massage therapist has an ultrasound machine that she uses on me sometimes. It does seem to help calm down sensitive areas so they can be worked deeper.
    It kind depends on how its used. Research on it is shaky at best. If the wavelength is continuous then it can be good for heating the muscle tissue and improving blood flow, but most practitioners will only do it for 8 minutes since that is the amount of time needed to bill for it. Depending on the intensity and duration, 8 minutes of continuous ultrasound can significantly heat the tissues 3-4 degrees Celsius or barely do anything at all depending on the depth of the muscle tissue. Pulsed ultrasound does not significantly heat the tissue and is useful based on the idea that sound waves increase energy in the cell and allow them to due their jobs better (sketchy to me). I generally do not use ultrasound much unless the patient specifically requests it.

Leave a comment:

• SDMF
    replied
    Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
    I do not think ultrasound wound do much for your muscle tightness (but I don't think it does much anyway outside of placebo).

You could get some autogenic inhibition from using estim to the traps, but stretching and soft tissue work is going to be much more important here.
    I've mostly just been doing massage and stretching anyway. My chiropractor has both machines, so I was wondering if I should try to get on one when I'm there.

You think ultrasound is worthless? My massage therapist has an ultrasound machine that she uses on me sometimes. It does seem to help calm down sensitive areas so they can be worked deeper.

Leave a comment:

• Ajweins
    replied
    I do not think ultrasound wound do much for your muscle tightness (but I don't think it does much anyway outside of placebo).

You could get some autogenic inhibition from using estim to the traps, but stretching and soft tissue work is going to be much more important here.

Leave a comment:

• Sammich
    replied
    Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
    Obviously drugs though.
    But post=surgery they give you better drugs.

Leave a comment:

• SDMF
    replied
    Originally posted by olinerules87 View Post
    Could you give more information as to why you are asking this?

Specific problem area/injury?

No one can give a thorough answer to that vague of a question

Leave a comment:

Working...
X