Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultrasound vs. Electrostimulation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ultrasound vs. Electrostimulation

    Which do you think is better for rehab/recovery?

  • #2
    Generally, Estim.
    "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

    "The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

    Comment


    • #3
      Could you give more information as to why you are asking this?

      Specific problem area/injury?

      No one can give a thorough answer to that vague of a question
      sigpic

      For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
      1 Timothy 4:8

      Comment


      • #4
        That's like saying "which is better, surgery or drugs?"

        It depends on the situation.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          That's like saying "which is better, surgery or drugs?"

          It depends on the situation.
          Obviously drugs though.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by olinerules87 View Post
            Could you give more information as to why you are asking this?

            Specific problem area/injury?

            No one can give a thorough answer to that vague of a question
            Right now I'm dealing with some deep muscle tightness in my right trap.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
              Obviously drugs though.
              But post=surgery they give you better drugs.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SDMF View Post
                Right now I'm dealing with some deep muscle tightness in my right trap.
                I do not think ultrasound wound do much for your muscle tightness (but I don't think it does much anyway outside of placebo).

                You could get some autogenic inhibition from using estim to the traps, but stretching and soft tissue work is going to be much more important here.
                "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

                "The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
                  I do not think ultrasound wound do much for your muscle tightness (but I don't think it does much anyway outside of placebo).

                  You could get some autogenic inhibition from using estim to the traps, but stretching and soft tissue work is going to be much more important here.
                  I've mostly just been doing massage and stretching anyway. My chiropractor has both machines, so I was wondering if I should try to get on one when I'm there.

                  You think ultrasound is worthless? My massage therapist has an ultrasound machine that she uses on me sometimes. It does seem to help calm down sensitive areas so they can be worked deeper.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SDMF View Post
                    I've mostly just been doing massage and stretching anyway. My chiropractor has both machines, so I was wondering if I should try to get on one when I'm there.

                    You think ultrasound is worthless? My massage therapist has an ultrasound machine that she uses on me sometimes. It does seem to help calm down sensitive areas so they can be worked deeper.
                    It kind depends on how its used. Research on it is shaky at best. If the wavelength is continuous then it can be good for heating the muscle tissue and improving blood flow, but most practitioners will only do it for 8 minutes since that is the amount of time needed to bill for it. Depending on the intensity and duration, 8 minutes of continuous ultrasound can significantly heat the tissues 3-4 degrees Celsius or barely do anything at all depending on the depth of the muscle tissue. Pulsed ultrasound does not significantly heat the tissue and is useful based on the idea that sound waves increase energy in the cell and allow them to due their jobs better (sketchy to me). I generally do not use ultrasound much unless the patient specifically requests it.
                    "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

                    "The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Google tennis ball therapy.
                      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Future View Post
                        Google tennis ball therapy.
                        ^^^^^^ This!! sure as hell helped MY tight traps!!!!
                        2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
                        2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
                        2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
                        2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
                        2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
                        2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SDMF View Post
                          Right now I'm dealing with some deep muscle tightness in my right trap.
                          As said already ultrasound may heat the muscle allowing it to be stretched a little more. E-stim can be used on the traps producing autogenic inhibition relaxing the muscle as well.

                          But in this case soft tissue work with a tennis ball sounds like the best and easiest option to me.
                          sigpic

                          For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
                          1 Timothy 4:8

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by olinerules87 View Post
                            As said already ultrasound may heat the muscle allowing it to be stretched a little more. E-stim can be used on the traps producing autogenic inhibition relaxing the muscle as well.

                            But in this case soft tissue work with a tennis ball sounds like the best and easiest option to me.
                            this guy has some good soft tissue work advice and techniques. don't know if he ever specifically addressed the traps but take a look http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit#g/u
                            sigpic

                            For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
                            1 Timothy 4:8

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have a tens unit. Love it.
                              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X