Ultrasound vs. Electrostimulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrasound vs. Electrostimulation

Which do you think is better for rehab/recovery?

Generally, Estim.
    "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

Comment

Could you give more information as to why you are asking this?

Specific problem area/injury?

No one can give a thorough answer to that vague of a question
      sigpic

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
      1 Timothy 4:8

Comment

That's like saying "which is better, surgery or drugs?"

It depends on the situation.
        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
        kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          That's like saying "which is better, surgery or drugs?"

It depends on the situation.
          Obviously drugs though.

Comment

Originally posted by olinerules87 View Post
            Could you give more information as to why you are asking this?

Specific problem area/injury?

No one can give a thorough answer to that vague of a question
            Right now I'm dealing with some deep muscle tightness in my right trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadriceps View Post
              Obviously drugs though.
              But post=surgery they give you better drugs.
              Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
              kind of a douche

Comment

Originally posted by SDMF View Post
                I do not think ultrasound wound do much for your muscle tightness (but I don't think it does much anyway outside of placebo).

You could get some autogenic inhibition from using estim to the traps, but stretching and soft tissue work is going to be much more important here.
                "Being tired isn't the same as being rich, but most times it's close enough" Chuck Palahnuik

Comment

Originally posted by Ajweins View Post
                  I do not think ultrasound wound do much for your muscle tightness (but I don't think it does much anyway outside of placebo).

You could get some autogenic inhibition from using estim to the traps, but stretching and soft tissue work is going to be much more important here.
                  I've mostly just been doing massage and stretching anyway. My chiropractor has both machines, so I was wondering if I should try to get on one when I'm there.

You think ultrasound is worthless? My massage therapist has an ultrasound machine that she uses on me sometimes. It does seem to help calm down sensitive areas so they can be worked deeper.

Comment

I've mostly just been doing massage and stretching anyway. My chiropractor has both machines, so I was wondering if I should try to get on one when I'm there.

You think ultrasound is worthless? My massage therapist has an ultrasound machine that she uses on me sometimes. It does seem to help calm down sensitive areas so they can be worked deeper.
                    It kind depends on how its used. Research on it is shaky at best. If the wavelength is continuous then it can be good for heating the muscle tissue and improving blood flow, but most practitioners will only do it for 8 minutes since that is the amount of time needed to bill for it. Depending on the intensity and duration, 8 minutes of continuous ultrasound can significantly heat the tissues 3-4 degrees Celsius or barely do anything at all depending on the depth of the muscle tissue. Pulsed ultrasound does not significantly heat the tissue and is useful based on the idea that sound waves increase energy in the cell and allow them to due their jobs better (sketchy to me). I generally do not use ultrasound much unless the patient specifically requests it.

Comment

Google tennis ball therapy.
                      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by Future View Post
                        Google tennis ball therapy.
                        ^^^^^^ This!! sure as hell helped MY tight traps!!!!
                        2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
                        2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
                        2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
                        2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
                        2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
                        2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

As said already ultrasound may heat the muscle allowing it to be stretched a little more. E-stim can be used on the traps producing autogenic inhibition relaxing the muscle as well.

But in this case soft tissue work with a tennis ball sounds like the best and easiest option to me.
                          sigpic

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Comment

Originally posted by olinerules87 View Post
                            As said already ultrasound may heat the muscle allowing it to be stretched a little more. E-stim can be used on the traps producing autogenic inhibition relaxing the muscle as well.

But in this case soft tissue work with a tennis ball sounds like the best and easiest option to me.
                            this guy has some good soft tissue work advice and techniques. don't know if he ever specifically addressed the traps but take a look http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit#g/u
                            sigpic

Comment

I have a tens unit. Love it.
                              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X