Cheapest way to make magnetic "microweights"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest way to make magnetic "microweights"

Like the title says, this is what i found to be the cheapest and easiest way to make "platemates" or "microweights". It's actually so easy and cheap that i felt strongly enough about it to type this whole thing up so more people can do it with me, haha

"Why"
    My father and I (mainly him) have been investing in a home gym, because there are 4 of us in the house that lift regularly, so its a much better investment for us instead of paying 4 memberships every month. He hated the "flimsiness" of dumbbells that change weights themselves, so he kept buying the solid iron DB's in increments of 10, (50's,60's,70's) which is not practical to progress on at all, but on the other hand it would be stupid to buy them in increments of 5 (money-wise). Also I hate commercial items that rip people off.

"How"
    The platemates or microweights come as 1 pair of 1.25lb, or 1 pair of 2.5 lbs. each in the 25-50$ range depending where you shop. which is insane, because literally all you need are :
    -four 2.5 lb plates, (doesn't matter what kind)
    -duct tape
    -magnets
    And you now have the ability to make a pair of 60lb DB's into 62.5's, and 65's.

The hardest and most expensive part of this by far, are choosing the type and amount of magnets, there are so many different types, sizes and strengths, so i leave the part of "which do i buy" up to you. but if you get the "rare earth ones" that are super strong but break easy, reinforce them with the duct tape so that even if they crack or break it doesnt matter, they stay inside the duct tape.

I could bore you with specifics of how to duct tape them but i doubt anyone needs that. Just duct tape X amount of magnets (the amount depends on the strength of your magnet) to 1 plate, and test it out on a dumbbell. when i tested mine i found i needed 4 magnets to keep the plate from sliding if i dropped the DB from a certain height. (you obviously cant throw your DB's around even with real platemates). Then just repeat the process for the other three 2.5lb plates.

"Result"
    End result? with a 50lb pair of dumbbells, I actually now have 50.0,52.5,55.0, and 57.5 (57.5 will take 6 plates obviously since its 3 plates on each DB, and you'll have to be more careful with it, but i added it anyway)

For everyone with a home gym, this should be a real money saver when it comes to buying dumbbells, and it will make it much easier and smoother to progress. Also if your at a commercial gym that has everything you need, except for DB's that increase in increments of 2.5, well there you go.
    Last edited by teckno05; 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM.

Where did you get your rare earth magnets?
    ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

Originally posted by Agi View Post
      Where did you get your rare earth magnets?
      homedepot, 3 magnets for $4, lowes home improvement might have some but im not sure what stores are in your area.

i needed 16 magnets, so i bought 15 and used a regular kitchen magnet as the 16th one, costing me $20 (since i already had 2.5 lb plates that i never used and duct tape) as opposed to .. probably around or over $100.

Comment

I made some by taking the magnets from some old massive speakers my dad was throwing out. I got others from a car stereo installation place. The manager was good about it when I said what I wanted them for and let me cut off the magnets at the rear of the shop.

The magnets are supprisingly big and strong. The weight is never an even .5lbs or anything but will fill the gap between a few lbs if your gym goes up in 5lbs or similar.
        Attached Files
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Oh and they were free and eays to get.
          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
          Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
          ~William Bernbach

Comment

Working...
          X