Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Certain Lifts Easier to Progress on than Others??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain Lifts Easier to Progress on than Others??

Does anyone else find that certain lifts are a lot easier to progress on then others? Obviously something that you use a lot of weight on like squats or deadlifts is going to be easier to progress on then something like barbell curls, but I find even for lifts that are somewhat similar I can make a lot more consistent progress on some then others.

For example trap bar deadlifts are easier for me to progress on then barbell deadlifts, dips are easier than close grip bench press, and dumbbell bench is easier than barbell bench.

Is this because certain lifts just suit the way your built better than others and that's why you can make better progress?

Ton of different answers for that question. I remember that subject being discussed in this thread as well:

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=43095

I pretty much think it's for the same reasons LDC posted. Really has to do with what type of exercise it is. You'll instinctively start turning tricep pushdowns into a sort of close grip bench movement by using a bit of lats and pecs, you can't exactly do the same thing on a close grip bench.
    As for trap bar deads, probably because you're in a stronger anatomical position. DB bench might be easier because of your proportions, which may hold you back in the BB variant.
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Is this because certain lifts just suit the way your built better than others and that's why you can make better progress?
      Yes. Also, how many times you've done that lift in the past, how you have progressed in the past with it( ie you've progressed 100 lbs in a year on cgbp, but only bw+20 on dips so there is a lot more room), technique, etc.

Not to mention what exercises you do before dips or cgbp matter. Most of us normally do more than one ex per session, and its been noted that some people will tend to get weaker on dips after doing ohp, but not lose much on db bench after doing ohp, so on and so forth.

Comment

For me all lower back, upper back, arms and leg exercises go consistently up. Shoulders, incline bench press and all upper body dominant shoulder-ish exercises refuse to budge or do so very slowly. However I always get comments for my shoulders and their width. I also do them very strictly. Mega suck category : barbell military press, incline smith bench press. Should I add a bit of cheating?

funmetal

Comment

Working...
        X