Going on the cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on the cheap

Hey guys, I just found out my in-laws have a hand crank meat grinder. Me being currently unemployed, I thought it would be a good idea to make some of my own ground beef. What cut of meat should I be shopping for this next trip to the grocery store? I don't know if its obvious or not, but I would like something real lean. I also have a Costco membership if that helps you decide what cut of meat I should go for.
    The only easy day is yesterday

Almost any cut of steak that isn't a rib eye or t-bone will be leaner and tastier than most ground beef.

Bottom round, top round, skillet, flank....whatever. Seems like it is all more expensive than ground though, so not sure where you will save

Comment

yeah I'm really not sure you'll save, especially if you're shooting for a real lean cut of beef. Tom Thumb usually has 10lb sales of 93/7 beef, which is decently lean, and they frequently have sales on bison, which is usually about $10 for 2lbs, fucking expensive. If you can find a decent price on steak cuts, flank is usually decently cheap. I don't know if costco has weekly meta deals, but you may be able to come out ahead if they do, and just rotate cuts week to week with whatever is on sale.
      …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

If you have a BJ's store around your area you can get some quality, lean cuts on the cheap. I buy hand trimmed eye rounds for $3.99/lb and other cuts like top sirloins and flank for for between $2.69 - $3.69. You may want to check with a local butcher to see if they can cut you a deal. Most small businesses are a lot more accommodating and willing to help out to build up their goodwill within the community.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Yeah, went to the store and the best deal I could find was Pork Sirloin for 2.99 a pound. Don't really think the venture is going to be worth it. Guess i'll just have to suck it up like everyone else and eat chicken breast 1001 different ways until I puke at the sight of a chicken breast lol.

Comment

If you have a freezer, wait for lean GB to go on sale for 1.99/lb and stock up. Happens in Ontario quite a bit.

Comment

i grind all my own meat, a trimmed top round roast is about the same fat content as 93-95% lean ground beef.

You can find the roast for 1.99/lb all the time. Just watch the circulars.

It cuts the price basically in half grinding your own.

Also grind in some chicken breast with it, it cuts the fat down if you need it leaner and you can t even tell its in there.

I also grind straigh chick breast with chopped onion, pepper, mushrooms.... make pattys grill them and drizzle alitte wiskashire(sp) and soy sauce on top. Pretty tasty and very lean

Comment

Originally posted by steve302 View Post
                i grind all my own meat, a trimmed top round roast is about the same fat content as 93-95% lean ground beef.

You can find the roast for 1.99/lb all the time. Just watch the circulars.

It cuts the price basically in half grinding your own.

Also grind in some chicken breast with it, it cuts the fat down if you need it leaner and you can t even tell its in there.

I also grind straigh chick breast with chopped onion, pepper, mushrooms.... make pattys grill them and drizzle alitte wiskashire(sp) and soy sauce on top. Pretty tasty and very lean
                Awesome info right there sir! thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by c-dawg View Post
                  Yeah, went to the store and the best deal I could find was Pork Sirloin for 2.99 a pound. Don't really think the venture is going to be worth it. Guess i'll just have to suck it up like everyone else and eat chicken breast 1001 different ways until I puke at the sight of a chicken breast lol.
                  Took me about 6 months of eating chicken all of the time before I officially started to hate it. I've been on a hiatus from chicken now for about 2 months or so....variety is king....so is the ability to be able to cook.

-BTH

Comment

Working...
                  X