Importance of carbs pre workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of carbs pre workout

I work out shortly after waking up, work and coaching my kids in sports year round make morning workouts the only way to get it done.

Out of curiosity, how important to all of you think getting carbs in pre-workout is? I usually don't have carbs the last three hours before bed and have a protein drink when I go to bed.

As of now I drink a pre workout drink only.
    It rotates between Dymatize Energy Xpand, BPI 1mr, Purus Muscle Marinade, TP Augment, and occasionally MG's Powdered Muscle which is the only one with carbs.
    It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

IMO depends on your goals and how you feel. I do not lift in the morning. However, I do not take any pre WO carbs for my evening lifting sessions.
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

What are your goals and how has your progress been so far? If you've effectively refilled your glycogen stores the day before, not having carbs right before lifting shouldn't matter. I like lifting early on an empty stomach and just bcaas. If I have a particularly intense session and my diet wasn't right on the day before, then I'll add a scoop of protein and some ground up oats to it. I've had great success keeping fat in check with no strength loss or drop in energy just taking bcaas, creatine & coffee pre.

I personally think once most people get over the mental hurdle of not having carbs pre workout, they're fine.

That's been my experience. You can find articles, studies and lifters that have "proof" either way, but you need to figure out what works for you. Just like everything else in this sport, what works for one does not work for the other.
      "Nobody gives a **** about your six pack when you weigh 175 pounds". -M.R.

Journal

Comment

Check Homon's recent thread on is article about peri-workout nutrition. I am on my phone or I would link it for you. I hit the weights at 5am and previously I just took in some Gerainamo preWO, but I have recently added about 50g of potato starch to my pre-shakes. Not sure if it makes a difference, but Homon is a smart cookie and his article convinced me to start doing it.
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man View Post
          I have recently added about 50g of potato starch to my pre-shakes. Not sure if it makes a difference, but Homon is a smart cookie and his article convinced me to start doing it.
          Macho, I am using wxy maize right now. Have you used waxy maize before? And if so, how do the two compare?

Here are two threads to help: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...t=44068&page=3

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44793
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I have used waxy also but don't really have a preference. I just have some pot starch left from when I worked with Skip, as he prefers it.
            2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              Macho, I am using wxy maize right now. Have you used waxy maize before? And if so, how do the two compare?

Here are two threads to help: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthr...t=44068&page=3

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44793
              Ever try customizing mixing the carbs? I did this and really liked the mix better than the stand alone compound.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                Ever try customizing mixing the carbs? I did this and really liked the mix better than the stand alone compound.
                Nice, good call! I think I'm going to give this a try on my next order.
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I prefer the texture of the potato starch, although I've never had it standalone, only mixed with the Muscle Powder.

I don't really notice much difference with or without carbs pre workout.
                  I keep the workouts under an hour, intense, DC.
                  It's difficult to work out too hard, it's easy to work out too long.............

Comment

some mixes I tried i got the idea from LG Science (perfect carb) product.

10% brown rice carb / 45% potato Starch / 45% WMS
                    same / maltd/ potato
                    same/ trehalose/potato starch (was my favorite mix)
                    Last edited by LG1; 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                      some mixes I tried i got the idea from LG Science (perfect carb) product.

10% brown rice carb / 45% potato Starch / 45% WMS
                      same / maltd/ potato
                      same/ trehalose/potato starch (was my favorite mix)
                      where do you notice the difference between taking a carb powder mixture rathr than just one type of carb powder?
                      2006 NPC SUPERIOR NOVICE AND OPEN MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION
                      2006 NPC MIDFLORIDA CLASSIC LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Removed..No free advertising!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                        where do you notice the difference between taking a carb powder mixture rathr than just one type of carb powder?
                        Speaking for myself here and not LG1, I notice that when I run potato starch solely in the amount that I need, it is very hard for me to get it down, but when I mix it with something like Gatorade (sucrose, dextrose, maltodextrin) I don't bloat as bad, and I can use less starch. I never really bloated on straight dextrose like some people do though. It goes down very easy for me.....
                        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Any of you guys have any experience with Swedish Oat Starch in your mixes?

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Straight malto or dextro, even when mixed with whey, tend to give me a bit of an upset stomach.

I don't have that problem with wm or potato starch.

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                              Any of you guys have any experience with Swedish Oat Starch in your mixes?
                              I have used Swedish oats starch in the past, and pwo it seemed ok, but I tried it in a TP mix pre/intra workout and I hurled it all over my basement one nite. It doesn't really agree with me during a workout, but I don't really think that's all too common for others....
                              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
                              X