Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A tip that helped me on reverse smith bench...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tip that helped me on reverse smith bench...

So lately on RGB, I have been having wrist pain. I keep my ass off the bench and take a ninja turtle grip (2 fingers, thumb) and angle my wrists towards the uprights like you are supposed to. I was still getting wrist pain from this method...

I found the reason was because I suck at unracking on the smith because you have to rotate it and my wrists get cockeyed and I can't reset them with the weight bearing on them.

So, I set the stops just above my chest and actually started my reps with the bar at the bottom off the stops vs unracking. When your ass gets off the bench, you get a slight arch so the bar will be in perfect position resting on the stops, yet still against your chest.

The result was zero pain in the wrists and very clean reps because I was able to start with my wrists setup straight. Granted, if you are pushing really heavy weight it may be hard to push from the bottom, but it helped me tremendously. I am using a 20-24 rep range for this movement, so pressing from the bottom on the first rep is no problem.

You may or may not have this problem, but just thought I'd share.

Initially RGBP did smash my wrists also. I increased the reps and got gloves with a wrist support that wrapps around about three times and creeps high up the thumb. Problem solved.
    "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
    Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
    'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
    ~William Bernbach

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Although I am not doing RGB right now, I may use it in my next blast and that "ninja turtle grip" seems like it will make it easier to get your wrists in a comfortable/stable position and allow you to go heavier. Gonna have to give this one a try.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

That's pretty much what I've always done with freeweight RGBP in a rack, set the safety pins just above my chest and start from the bottom position. Could be considered harder or less effective but it sure as hell doesn't bother my tiny wrists.
        Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by SAHD View Post
          Initially RGBP did smash my wrists also. I increased the reps and got gloves with a wrist support that wrapps around about three times and creeps high up the thumb. Problem solved.
          Increasing the rep range on those is something that has helped me solve the wrist-pain problem as well.

Comment

I had the same problem, one thing I did was reverse the way i laid down on the bench. Now I re-rack the weight "rolling" forward instead of back. Help put me in the correct position to isolate tris and have my wrists in a good spot

Comment

Working...
            X