X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Overhead Press - video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1snWTMs7zA

pretty cool, isn't that Billy Gunn training with you?? lol
    PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
      pretty cool, isn't that Billy Gunn training with you?? lol
      I do believe so
      For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Yep..that's him
        Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

This is you too..right?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zTHkWe6Vdc[/YOUTUBE]
          Bryan

Colorado Patriot Guard Rider

Comment

Bringing back an old school video! I like it!

Comment

Dude you are a beast. Great lift. Great video, too.

Comment

Yeah Kip (Billy Gunn) is my training partner. Looking to share some more training videos soon! We do some crazy lifts from time to time.

Comment

Great Stuff. Any advice on form? What mistakes have you made that you fixed that helped you? Standing overhead and Push presses are my favorite, but I always get stuck at around 225.
                  1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                  2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                  2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                  2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                  2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                  2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                  Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Well from an execution standpoint I always do 3 x 6 @135 for a warm up. Just enough to "feel" the exercise, but also get my shoulders and elbows primed for heavier weights to come. In the past I had done the standard warm up of 135 x 8-10, then 185 x 8-10, then 205 x 8-10...and onto my heavier sets from there, but I found that although the weights were progressing in my warm up they were too heavy to be warm up sets. So now I go from my 3 x 6 @135 straight into 225 all the way up to 295 (with 6 reps being as low as I'll go for a working set). I also make sure that my reps stay at 6 reps for a warm up as not to fatigue myself for later working sets.

So warm up multiple sets light weight then go into heavier working sets as opposed to pyramiding my warm up into working sets.

As for other bits of advice, I always keep my rep range on overheads 6-8...slightly higher on laterals and bent over laterals 8-12 reps. Also I've played around with foot placement (staggered or parallel), but to each their own on that. Same with grip, thumbs wrapped vs. standard grip. Whatever feels comfortable I say go with - there's no right or wrong way there. I belt up on heavy working sets and keep it off on warm ups.

No real tricks of the trade just always trying to "beat the log book". Although it's not heavy all the time, every 3-4 workouts I'll go slightly lighter (maybe 20-25lb less) just to give my CNS and joints a bit of rest.

Comment

That pretty much is what I do. I used to do the higher rep warm ups as well, but I think I fatigued myself before I got to the work weight. Like you, I do better doing multiple warmups of 4-6 reps with a light weight instead of 10-15 with the same weight for one set.

I think for the moment I'm going to switch to push presses as I think I've hit the wall on strict reps. I'll see if I can beat the book on those, then come back to the strict reps later. I think I also need to add the light work outs in every once in a while as well. Ego gets the best of me sometimes. Thanks.
                      1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                      2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                      2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                      2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                      2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                      2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                      Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Do you find these partial overloads help your full ROM press?
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
                          Do you find these partial overloads help your full ROM press?
                          No, but they helped my delts grow tremendously.

Comment

what do you mean by partial overloads? are you referring to the warmup sets?
                            2006 NPC SUPERIOR NOVICE AND OPEN MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION
                            2006 NPC MIDFLORIDA CLASSIC LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

Removed..No free advertising!

Comment

Working...
                            X