Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most recent Musclemag Article "Meals on Steel" (Peri-/Intra-workout nutrition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most recent Musclemag Article "Meals on Steel" (Peri-/Intra-workout nutrition)

Ladies n' Gents,

Just put my latest from Musclemag (June, 2011), "Meals on Steel" up on my site. Special Thanks to Bill Geiger of Musclemag for letting me put these articles out after they've left the newsstands. (To get 'em fresh check out www.emusclemag.com and subscribe.)

You can download it here: http://www.scottstevensonphd.c​om/Downloads.html (First article at the Top!) It'll download as a .pdf, unless you've got .pdf viewing capacity in your browser.

-Scott
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

I got that issue of MuscleMag when it came out just for that article. Very good in-depth info... as we've come to expect from the source Thanks

Comment

Really cool thanks again mang
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

great article. Very well written.

two thumbs up!
        Owner of 316FIT and Team Skip Approved Trainer

Instagram: @jaredragsdale
        FB: www.fb.com/jared.ragsdale
        www.316fit.com
        Email: [email protected]

Comment

I had read a previous thread where you discussed this article. Based on what you had summarized of the article, I am now putting much more thought and effort into my intra-workout nutrition. Thanks for sharing it looks very interesting.

Comment

I also read this one when it came out and have been using a very similar strategy successfully while working with Scott to gain lean mass. With this approach my recovery has been much better and I've been growing consistently and getting stronger week in and week out while minimizing any bodyfat gains. FWIW, I think it is especially effective for those who tend to be short on time or have hectic schedules and need to get in sufficient calories around their workout time.

We thank you for the enlightenment Scott
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Sweet! Reading now. Disappointed with the lack of pop ups.
              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Great article thanks! I've actually been adding EAA to my intraworkout lately and consuming more of them throughout the day in a ketogenic diet. So far I've been able to keep my strength (and mass based on my assumption) while looking leaner slowly!

Comment

Very interesting article. I did read the topic where you discussed this before and i have already adapted my peri workout nutrition accordingly. The "Building your own RS" is especially great information.
                  My Training Journal

Comment

Awesome work Homon....as always. If you get around to reading the nutrient timing book I recommended. I would be keen on getting your comments/feedback.
                    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Scott, thanks for sharing the article.

Question- Can you send me the full text for citation 22? I can find the abstract, but I guess since I graduated I don't have access to the full text anymore. Guess I'll go back to school.
                      TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Fellas,

Glad you're diggin' it! I did at a lot of digging for that one and I'm glad I was able to bring the info. back to the realm of practical application.

Originally posted by LuNa23 View Post
                        Very interesting article. I did read the topic where you discussed this before and i have already adapted my peri workout nutrition accordingly. The "Building your own RS" is especially great information.

Nice - I was hoping that section would help.

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                        Awesome work Homon....as always. If you get around to reading the nutrient timing book I recommended. I would be keen on getting your comments/feedback.
                        I looked through it on amazon (your like) and was able to skim the whole book. Seemed like a solid read, but I would have liked to have seen references for some of the things said in there. (I know they exist - I had like 5 classes with Dr. Ivy. He's not making stuff up.) For me, that's where the sugar is. I feel like if I look through it anymore than I have on amazon, I should really buy it. (Not fair to John.) FWIW, he was a baseball player in college and a pretty stout guy. You'd know looking at him that he spent some time in the gym.

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
                        Scott, thanks for sharing the article.

Question- Can you send me the full text for citation 22? I can find the abstract, but I guess since I graduated I don't have access to the full text anymore. Guess I'll go back to school.
                        Hit me with and email and I'll send it to ya. (It's here on my computer. I'm glad I still have that one. I recently upgrade my version of Endnote and the new interface led me to delete some recently downloaded references (<10 or so until I figured out what was happening), most of which were from that article. The new interface sucks, IMO.)

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Follow up question:

Scott, thanks for sending me the article. I read it and enjoyed it. Couple questions,

1- The authors noted at the end that protein turnover was not measured. Has it been measured elsewhere, and if it hasn't, do YOU think that this is the next step that follows from this study?

Additionally,

2- What does that fact that these guys participating are "untrained" mean for us? Does this mean that exercise by "trained" men, when accompanied by CHO and EAA has less or more of a response on cortisol, and if so, how would the supplement diminish it's effects?

That last question was wordy I know but I think you know what I mean.

Comment

Hey DG,

I'm gonna shoot straight with ya here, so hold on to your horses and put on your thinkin' cap!

Originally posted by darkguitars2000 View Post
                            Follow up question:

Scott, thanks for sending me the article. I read it and enjoyed it. Couple questions,
                            Maybe, for the folks at home, you might want to clue them on on what study you're talking about.

1- The authors noted at the end that protein turnover was not measured. Has it been measured elsewhere, and if it hasn't, do YOU think that this is the next step that follows from this study?
                            Let me ask you first. Since you mentioned just getting out of school:

Did you look in the literature for any other study that has measured protein turnover?...

(Also, do you think I would have mentioned protein turnover in my article and do you think those researchers would have mentioned it if it had not been measured before?...)

Or are you referring to protein turnover in a special context, such as the conditions of the experiment you're talking about?...

FWIW, I wrote my article about 8-9 mo. ago, so I haven't looked at that study for a quote while, but I'm all for it!

Additionally,

2- What does that fact that these guys participating are "untrained" mean for us? Does this mean that exercise by "trained" men, when accompanied by CHO and EAA has less or more of a response on cortisol, and if so, how would the supplement diminish it's effects?
                            What is the effect of resistance training in general on the cortisol response to resistance exercise?... (In one sense, this is a very simple question, but the more you look into it, it's a tough one.)

How does the supplement diminish the cortisol response and how would this mechanism interact with training induced adaptations?...

Knowing these two things would help to speculate. Without knowing them, the answer to your question loses context...

-S
                            Last edited by homonunculus; 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM.
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

Maybe, for the folks at home, you might want to clue them on on what study you're talking about.

Or are you referring to protein turnover in a special context, such as the conditions of the experiment you're talking about?...

What is the effect of resistance training in general on the cortisol response to resistance exercise?...

-S
                              Haha. Alright Scott.

For those reading I'm referring to,

"Effects of liquid carbohydrate/essential amino acid ingestion on acute
                              hormonal response during a single bout of resistance exercise in
                              untrained men" Bird,et al. 2006

It's citation number 22 in Scott's article he posted above.

And yes, I was referring to protein turnover in a context such as this one. And with cortisol...I know training raises cortisol levels...but I guess what I'm getting at is- When someone like you or I (who has been training for a while)- trains- Do our cortisol levels go HIGHER than those of the people in this study (since they don't really "know" how to rip their muscles apart with training like we do- pardon the verbage-you get it) or does the opposite happen- Do our bodies produce less cortisol because they are "used to" the stress of exercise, it's not new to them anymore?

And whichever answer to the cortisol question, How would the supplement dosage change here, or the effects of the supps at all change the cort. levels?

Comment

Working...
                              X