Smith machine presses for delts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith machine presses for delts?

Who has experience with these? I've been reading up on some of Cephalic_Carnage's stuff over at T-Nation and he seems to swear by these high incline Smith presses. I've never used a Smith for any type of delt work but I'm thinking of giving these a shot if the progression rate on them is decent. Just to clarify I'm talking about these:

[YOUTUBE]WaJkuNDVzOQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
    Who has experience with these?
    lol, that's a military press in a smith machine, nothing special...
    "If you are the guy on the drive home from work or school thinking
    "oh man leg day is in 2 days, I'm already starting to get nervous but I can't wait!".....
    then welcome to DC training."

Comment

Feels good man.

You can really grind out reps without having to worry about zapped energy from setting up with a free bar. Shoulder feels secure and even if it does hit some of the upper chest, who cares because everybody needs more upper chest anyway, amirite?

The only downside is trying to get the bench/seat consistently in the same position every workout. I'm sure it doesn't matter a whole lot but I'm a stickler for that. If you want to get really creative, take pics of the bench/seat in relation to the Smith machine, or if they don't mop the area frequently, make chalk marks around the feet/wheels.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by ONCE AGAIN View Post
        lol, that's a military press in a smith machine, nothing special...
        Of course it's nothing special but I've always gone with standing pressing variations and I rarely use a Smith. I was wondering what people's experiences with it were, how it felt, what sort of set up they were using, etc.
        I never implied it was some sort of secret, magical exercise.
        Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
          Feels good man.

You can really grind out reps without having to worry about zapped energy from setting up with a free bar. Shoulder feels secure and even if it does hit some of the upper chest, who cares because everybody needs more upper chest anyway, amirite?

The only downside is trying to get the bench/seat consistently in the same position every workout. I'm sure it doesn't matter a whole lot but I'm a stickler for that. If you want to get really creative, take pics of the bench/seat in relation to the Smith machine, or if they don't mop the area frequently, make chalk marks around the feet/wheels.
          LOL...I know what you mean, I'm a bit OCD about seat positioning as well. Or hand positioning, or foot positioning...well you get the idea.

Comment

What ya can do.... stay with me here..... is next time you train delts .... still with me????.... um.... try them! Lol to be clear here I am joking in an effort to state the obvious ;-)
            Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
            Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
            Nicki Minaj

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
              What ya can do.... stay with me here..... is next time you train delts .... still with me????.... um.... try them! Lol to be clear here I am joking in an effort to state the obvious ;-)
              Wait...so what you're trying to say iiiisssss...

...I lost you
              Max Muscle
              5020 Katella Ave.
              Los Alamitos, CA 90720
              www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Yeah, man, you lost me after "stay with me here".

Comment

I use them but I keep my chin down almost looking down when I do them, at least for me i feel it more in the delt
                  If stupidity were bricks, you'd be the great wall of China

Comment

Another good delt exercise is the hammer strength except sit facing the seat

Comment

I've heard about this facing the seat business a lot lately, what's the reasoning behind it? More lateral delt involvement? I read about doing DB presses facing the seat as well.

Comment

It seems to take away the ability to lean back, focusing more on the delt and less on the upper chest

Comment

Regarding the smith press in the video, that is one of my favorites for shoulders. Shouldnt have any issues re: progression with those.

Give em a try...

-slide
                          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                            Originally posted by Carlito Gambino View Post
                            I've heard about this facing the seat business a lot lately, what's the reasoning behind it? More lateral delt involvement? I read about doing DB presses facing the seat as well.
                            CG, don't listen to Dunhill here on this. Keep on asking questions like you have been. This is the best way to really know an exercise inside and out.

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Thanks, Homon, I know he was joking though ...or was he?

[YOUTUBE]7g9WjcGdxuM[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
                              X