Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Direct Ab Work Effects CNS Slowing Overall Muscle Growth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn "Future" Bellon
    replied
    It's good you asked because the web has alot of stuff that is just plain stupid.

Leave a comment:

• zalex999
    replied

Leave a comment:

• notsonatural
    replied
    Originally posted by slide View Post
    Isnt "getting the wind knocked out of you" an issue with the diaphragm? Correct me if Im wrong, and Im no anatomy major (I still cant find the "G" spot)...but arent abdominals and the diaphragm (a) completely different muscle(s)?

Yeah...wow...

-slide
    lol that damn elusive g spot. That is funny I think this ab guy is crazy but, does he have a couple huge subjects to back it up or any other proof.

Leave a comment:

• SkinnyMike42
    replied
    Originally posted by PatientOne View Post
    1) The quote is full of logical fallacies, and while that alone doesn't mean it isn't right, there is absolutely no evidence to back up its idea.
    2) If I'm not mistaken, the DC approach to abs is that they're a very individual thing- Some people can do no direct ab work, instead getting worked by squats/deadlifts/etc, and when they diet down they've got a great 8-pack. Some people who would try that would end up with crappy abs. Give me a couple of minutes while I try to find a quote from the big guy.
    Edit: I seem to fail at finding old posts, so take point number 2 with a grain of salt. If anyone wants to make me look stupid by effortlessly finding the post I mentioned, you're welcome.
    Patient, your statement about the abs is 100% correct...it is even on the DC training DVD. They basically just tell you to train abs by feel in a rest-paused fashion once or twice a week.

Leave a comment:

• Carlito Gambino
    replied
    That's some of the stupidest shit I've ever heard. The right sort of core work is essential to a healthy body (Dr. McGill has written tons of stuff on this, Mike Robertson has as well), and pretty damn important if you wanna hit some big overhead numbers. Hell, any contact athlete should definitely do quality core work.

My mind is so fucked right now from reading that quote...I don't even know how anyone could come up with something that stupid.

Leave a comment:

• PatientOne
    replied
    1) The quote is full of logical fallacies, and while that alone doesn't mean it isn't right, there is absolutely no evidence to back up its idea.
    2) If I'm not mistaken, the DC approach to abs is that they're a very individual thing- Some people can do no direct ab work, instead getting worked by squats/deadlifts/etc, and when they diet down they've got a great 8-pack. Some people who would try that would end up with crappy abs. Give me a couple of minutes while I try to find a quote from the big guy.
    Edit: I seem to fail at finding old posts, so take point number 2 with a grain of salt. If anyone wants to make me look stupid by effortlessly finding the post I mentioned, you're welcome.
    Last edited by PatientOne; 06-24-2011, 03:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Testoman
    replied
    I assumed it was bullshit, but I just wanted to confirm it.

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
    Testoman,
    Not sure where you found this quote but it really has no evidence backing it up and all assumptions in it are based on illogical speculation.
    My buddy shared with me this program he bought 'hollywood physique' I was reading through the part about abs. Claiming it's better to NOT workout your abs because it slows down muscle growth and indirect ab work is best.

I've read about guys on this board saying you don't need to workout abs that much because of indirect ab work, blah blah...

Anyways thanks for the input guys.

Leave a comment:

• SkinnyMike42
    replied
    Looks like another broscience college dropout.

Leave a comment:

• theroymccoy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• slide
    replied
    Isnt "getting the wind knocked out of you" an issue with the diaphragm? Correct me if Im wrong, and Im no anatomy major (I still cant find the "G" spot)...but arent abdominals and the diaphragm (a) completely different muscle(s)?

Yeah...wow...

-slide

Leave a comment:

• Lilman
    replied
    Shame its not true...I hate ab work

Leave a comment:

• JohnCaesar
    replied
    Testoman,
    Not sure where you found this quote but it really has no evidence backing it up and all assumptions in it are based on illogical speculation.

Leave a comment:

• bbjeff86
    replied
    That is the most retarded and illogical thing I have ever read... Getting the wind knocked out of you, or being punched in the gut has nothing to so with your nervous system... who ever wrote the above quote is a moron.

If anything developing strong abdominals will only allow you to get bigger and stronger everywhere else as it will allow you to use more weight on squats, overhead presses, deads, lunges, etc....

Leave a comment:

• Direct Ab Work Effects CNS Slowing Overall Muscle Growth?

Having a hard time believing this, couldn't find any threads on, so I thought I'd ask it here Does direct ab work effect the amount of muscle you can build? No ab work = more muscle on your frame OR ab work = doesn't effect the amount of muscle one can gain. (Consider the diet and workout is perfect)

The gut of abs is just a small cosmetic problem. There's a far more dangerous beast hiding underneath.

Directly working your abs is the enemy of building muscle - especially doing it fast.

More directly: heavily exercising your abs directly will actually prevent you from building the amount of muscle you're capable of!

Due to the structure and function of the abdominals, working them out heavily results in a much bigger hit to your central nervous system than from any other exercise.

Think of it this way: have a strong person punch you as hard as they can in your arm, and it'll hurt a bit - then bruise up and be OK shortly after, if not a little bit sore. You could still perform bicep curls shortly after a hard hit to the arm.

But have that person punch you directly in the abs... and you'll topple over and feel weak over your entire body - not just localized to your abs.

And there's no chance you're going to be exercising at all for a while after that.

You may have experienced even a small version of this before - calling it "having the wind knocked out of you" - and it shows how directly the abs are tied to every aspect of the human body.

The goal of this program is to build muscle and lose fat at the fastest possible rate - and direct ab stimulation is counterproductive to that primary goal.

Can you build muscle and do direct ab work? Sure - but you'll build a whole lot more muscle if you leave the direct ab work out altogether.

The vast majority of guys who are struggling to put on muscle would change their results immediately by avoiding direct abdominal work altogether.

And here's the truth: to get a six pack fast, you don't even need the direct ab work anyway.
    Last edited by Testoman; 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM.
Working...
X